Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

harrison ford was the weakest part of the new movie.   He mailed it in, and it was a tired retread performance.   I am glad that he (the character) is dead.

I don't think he mailed it in. He just got old. Ford is in his 70's. You were never going to see that young, wise cracking, energetic Solo that you saw in ANH or TESB.

I don't think he mailed it in. He just got old. Ford is in his 70's. You were never going to see that young, wise cracking, energetic Solo that you saw in ANH or TESB.

i know, that is the problem.   he tried to play the role exactly as he did when he was 30.   there was no attempt to age it into something interesting.... that is mailing it in.   

Can't sleep so I'm watching ep 1 of Star Wars Rebels right now because of this thread. Got a quick question before I forget...

Do the prequels serve any purpose whatsoever?

The semester is over in a few weeks and I'll be free all summer. I got a few things I need to do but after that I want to bury myself in Star Wars. As a kid I was a full fledged Star Wars geek. I was deep into it. That was a lot of drugs and a lot of bottles ago though so I need to start over.

So my question, is it even worth spending any time with the prequels or should I just skip them all together? I remember actually liking episode III a lot but I don't remember if I ever got anything from them that I didn't already know from other places.

• Like 1

Can't sleep so I'm watching ep 1 of Star Wars Rebels right now because of this thread. Got a quick question before I forget...

Do the prequels serve any purpose whatsoever?

The semester is over in a few weeks and I'll be free all summer. I got a few things I need to do but after that I want to bury myself in Star Wars. As a kid I was a full fledged Star Wars geek. I was deep into it. That was a lot of drugs and a lot of bottles ago though so I need to start over.

So my question, is it even worth spending any time with the prequels or should I just skip them all together? I remember actually liking episode III a lot but I don't remember if I ever got anything from them that I didn't already know from other places.

No. It doesn't tell any narratives that aren't mentioned in the original trilogy. In fact, it disrupts the original trilogy's continuity.

Agree. Captain Phasma was the weakest by far. She is the new Boba Fett, as in the most overrated character, ever.

I am WAY more excited for Rogue One than I ever was for The Force Awakens.

Exactly, same with me.

I'm also hoping that Rogue One can bridge the gap between the prequels and the OT, maybe even redeeming or incorporating the few good parts of the prequels along the way.

• Like 1

I might be too, but the one thing is that it looks way too similar to Star Wars.  In my opinion, they should take it in another direction, perhaps look into other issues in the Stars Wars universe such as the politics of the galactic senate, so we can see how the emperor came to power. Or maybe something to do with sports in the SW universe.

Edited by grhqofb5

You mean like pod racing or the politics of the prequels?

That should go over well

Yes, sort of like that maybe.  Just to broaden the scope a bit, include some info. on how the rebellion was aware of the Death Star but Han Solo and Luke weren't until they accidentally ran into it.

Take this with a huge grain of salt because it's not official, but the rumored title that's floating around for Episode 8 is....

"Echoes of the Darkside."

There's also a HUGE potential spoiler that's out there. It's pretty damn huge.

Take this with a huge grain of salt because it's not official, but the rumored title that's floating around for Episode 8 is....

"Echoes of the Darkside."

There's also a HUGE potential spoiler that's out there. It's pretty damn huge.

I just saw that rumor and you weren't kidding.

IF true, that's a MAJOR twist.

i know, that is the problem.   he tried to play the role exactly as he did when he was 30.   there was no attempt to age it into something interesting.... that is mailing it in.   

But that was part of who he is. That's why his marriage broke up, and his children turned away. Because he never really grew up.

• Like 1

But that was part of who he is. That's why his marriage broke up, and his children turned away. Because he never really grew up.

that is fine...and actually good... but even THAT ages with somebody.   I just thought his performance was weak.   I am glad his character is dead, and i hope they kill Leia soon.   We'll see what they do with Joker (Skywalker) before i kill him off too :)

The trailer sure does have me interested. 

To me, it's a chance to travel back to the days when the Empire was scary.  Invincible.  In fact, undefeated. 

And, hopefully, to get away from all of the Force mysticism, and the political messages.  And get back to Good Guys and Bad Guys. 

The trailer sure does have me interested. 

To me, it's a chance to travel back to the days when the Empire was scary.  Invincible.  In fact, undefeated. 

And, hopefully, to get away from all of the Force mysticism, and the political messages.  And get back to Good Guys and Bad Guys. 

Yeah, but really how good can it be.  It's not like this group is going to be destroying the empire or even destroying the death star.  They're just stealing some blueprints so that the next group can go back again and take care to the fun stuff.  Maybe we'll get introduced to a new relative or something. Seems like Luke or Leia or Ben Kenobi should have some important people in their lives during this period that haven't been examined.

Yeah, but really how good can it be.  It's not like this group is going to be destroying the empire or even destroying the death star.  They're just stealing some blueprints so that the next group can go back again and take care to the fun stuff.  Maybe we'll get introduced to a new relative or something. Seems like Luke or Leia or Ben Kenobi should have some important people in their lives during this period that haven't been examined.

Maybe older future Luke will show up and reset the timeline.

Nah. That's silly. Who would ever do that to a franchise?

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 5