Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USa Today: 91 Skins- Best team to win Superbowl

88Comrade2000

I happy some pundits put that 91 team as the greatest ever. The pundits that don't (like the @ssclowns who put that team at 44!!!) I couldn't care less.

I don't need people to tell me what I saw and know to my core. That team was a behemoth - I feared no one. Every week I didn't check who won, I checked to see how much we'd stomped 'em by! :D  That was a wonderful feeling.

If you don't realise how good that team was, you don't understand football.

If nothing else, how the hell is Jacoby not on?

Or Monk? Or Green?

The team is too often overlooked. I was 5 so I don't know first hand but looking back at their season is amazing. They should be hands down considered the best team of all time but they have only themselves to blame for not being thought of in that regard.

Had they finished with 1 loss they would be in the discussion IMO. In fact they should have gone undefeated but they couldn't close the deal

glad to see the 91 team getting some love and much deserved respect

not sure if any of you have ever messed with whatifsports.com but you can do historical matchups with simulations, and it used to drive my college buddy mad that his 85 bears would continuously get beaten by the 91 skins in the simulations

HAIL

....the 1991 Skins are fun to use in Madden/NFL2K5 as well (of course, I have to mod the roster to get the names/numbers correct...).

It was truly an amazing team. 

In the NFC playoffs, we won two games by a combined score of 65-17, including a 31-point win in the conference title game. What is sometimes underrated about that and makes it even more impressive is that both games were rematches from the regular season. It's difficult to dominate two good teams in the regular season and then turn around and do it again in the playoffs. Neither team had a shot either time we played them. We beat the second-best team in the NFC by a combined score of 86-10 that season. 

The next point has been mentioned plenty, but we were honestly a 3rd-and-long draw play and an end-of-half Hail Mary (both in unlucky week 13) away from going undefeated that season. 

One of the determining factors, maybe the biggest, was the fact that they didn't have that huge superstar player. Giants had LT, 49ers had Montana and Rice, Bears had McMahon and 'th' Frig', and the media  bent over backwards for them.

Gibbs was a coach who led by example; quiet, easy going, and the team more or less adopted his demeanor, even in interviews some Redskin players stated that they were 'boring' because there wasn't some huge issue inside the team. 

So, personally I don't care what ANY mediot says, pro or con, about the Redskins; they are there to get headlines, stories, big news, and will contort any words they can into a ****storm just for ratings.  We all know who is the better team regarding SuperBowls, and it was proven in games and stats; the media can't take that away and there's nothing they can alter or twist to make a case against.

And they are ****ing morons; enough said. 

The 91 team had the best pair of OTs in history - Lachey and Jacoby.

We had one of the best WR groups in history - the Posse.

We had arguably the greatest overall CB in history - Darrell Green.

We had Ernest Byner and Gerald Riggs at RB.

We had some mean SOBs at safety, and arguably the most intimidating defensive player after LT in Wilbur Marshall.

We started the SB 24-0.

I will never forget that year. We had SOOO many blowout wins that year. Truly a dominating team. So well balanced from top to bottom in every facet of the game. I attended several games that year including the NFC championship game. I actually had tickets to that Super Bowl but had to give them up because I couldn't afford the transportation and hotel. I was 17 and my folks wouldn't help me. Still a little salty about that.

IMO, the biggest reason the 'Skins teams especially the 1991 team get overlooked is because the main decade of "glory years" for this franchise took place when the 49ers went on a run that was even more impressive.  If say the 49ers dynasty came a decade after or before the 80's I think the 'Skins would have been looked back at being the most dominant team of that era in the NFL.

When I think of those 49ers teams of the 80's I feel they were consistent above all else, and truthfully? They remind me a lot more of the current era of the Patriots than any of the really SUPER-UNBEATABLE teams of the pre-salary cap era.  They were a very tight fundamentally sound team that was relentless, but just like the Pats they often found themselves in way more do or die situations than other all-time dominant teams that found ways to just go out and crush the competition. (There was that destruction of Denver the season after we did it too, though I suppose?)

Because the 49ers won 5 Superbowls in that stretch to Washington's 3, I totally get why the 49ers are the "Team of the Decade" (Yeah I know the 5th came in the 90's) but that is an entirely different argument than matching up specific teams from specific seasons up against each other.  I don't think ANY of the 49ers super bowl winning teams can touch the '91 'Skins.  Sorry, not sorry.

If anything else, look at who we played that year.

Dallas    -- Won

Detroit   -- Won

Chicago -- Won

Atlanta   -- Won

Houston -- Won

Buffalo   -- Won

Of the teams in the NFC who made the playoffs, the only team we didn't play that year was New Orleans; every other team we had already beaten, and throw in 2 teams from the AFC in Buffalo and Houston as well.

Most SB winners may play 2,3, maybe 4 teams which make the playoffs in their particular year, but we played 6 !!  Its crazy to discount this feat, it was like playing a round-robin of playoff teams throughout the entire year, but as they say, the cream rises to the top, and the Redskins were that team.

It was funny, there was an interview of a Redskin player after the game in the locker room [ maybe Geathers ] and they asked him about the idea of MC Hammer and Evander Holyfield being on the sidelines of the Falcons, and he replied something to the likes of they wanna showboat around and hang out with celebrities, but this is a class A organization here, we don't need that crap.

Most SB winners may play 2,3, maybe 4 teams which make the playoffs in their particular year, but we played 6 !!  Its crazy to discount this feat, it was like playing a round-robin of playoff teams throughout the entire year, but as they say, the cream rises to the top, and the Redskins were that team.

However, I've always thought one of the reasons why the 91 team was underrated or overlooked even by members of the Skins fanbase was that they didn't have that signature playoff victory on the NFC side of the ledger.

In '82 we beat the Cowboys, the arch rival who still would be good for another five years or so.

in '83 we beat the 49ers.

in '87 we beat the Bears, who were a top conference team in the mid-to-late 80s, thanks to a highlight-reel punt return from Darrell Green.

In '91 we beat the Falcons and Lions, two teams who, at least in the years prior to and after that season, did nothing of consequence.

Now of course the Skins couldn't help who was put in front of them and wound up smashing a Buffalo team in the midst of four straight SB appearances. Still, I believe that, if say, Dallas had been able to beat Detroit in the divisional round and the Skins would've beaten them in the NFCCG, they wouldn't have been as relatively forgotten about as they seem to be sometimes.

Isn't USA Today headquartered in Tysons Corner? These are Redskin fans who did this because that's exactly how I would do the list.

But I have seen 91' Redskins ranked #1 in other lists before. Remember watching nfl films interviewing Buffalo Bills players and asked who was the toughest team out of the 4 super bowls they played in and they immediately said the 1991 redskins.

However, I've always thought one of the reasons why the 91 team was underrated or overlooked even by members of the Skins fanbase was that they didn't have that signature playoff victory on the NFC side of the ledger.

In '82 we beat the Cowboys, the arch rival who still would be good for another five years or so.

in '83 we beat the 49ers.

in '87 we beat the Bears, who were a top conference team in the mid-to-late 80s, thanks to a highlight-reel punt return from Darrell Green.

In '91 we beat the Falcons and Lions, two teams who, at least in the years prior to and after that season, did nothing of consequence.

Now of course the Skins couldn't help who was put in front of them and wound up smashing a Buffalo team in the midst of four straight SB appearances. Still, I believe that, if say, Dallas had been able to beat Detroit in the divisional round and the Skins would've beaten them in the NFCCG, they wouldn't have been as relatively forgotten about as they seem to be sometimes.

Well, look at it from this standpoint;

84' SF beat Chicago

85' Chicago beat LA Rams

86' NYG beat Washington

87' Washington beat Minn.

88' SF beat Chicago

89' SF beat  LA Rams

I left off 82' and 83' purposely.  We all know we beat Dallas AND SF back to back.

But look at who the NFC conference winner was and who they played. The Rams made it to the title game 2 times in that span, Chicago beat the Rams in their only SB, and lost 3 years later.

Point is, who is to say WHO beat anyone as a signature championship game. At least Buffalo made it 4 consecutive times, even though they lost every SB, but no team can actually CLAIM to have beaten THE team, and who could actually pinpoint WHO was THE team to beat. 

That's why they call it playoffs; the best of the conference plays a one-and-done game, so it boils down to who the media wants to peg as their 'darlings' . When Minnesota beat SF in their home stadium in 87', the media clips in newspapers had articles for the most part saying 'well SF lost so now its anyone's game'. It was anyone's game when the playoffs started, but the media had their minds made up already before the first coin flip. It was because their love child Joe Montana and when his team lost, the media's feelings were hurt, so their favorite was out; what now?

So, it wasn't really so much about beating a signature team, unless you consider what a signature team is, and by doing that you have to base it off of who? the media's choice of who was a signature team. Who they portrayed as 'the team to beat'. Which leads me back to my original statement of the term 'mediots'...

SIC, I was probably unclear and was coming at it more from the "which seasons were more memorable from a team's fanbase" point of view.

SF fans would probably rank the '81 season higher because of "The Catch."

NYG fans have a choice, but would probably put the '90 season and the win to prevent SF from going to a 3rd straight SB higher than the '86 season (when they also beat the 49ers in a huge rout before defeating the Skins).

From the Skins perspectives, the Super Bowl memories might have a lot to do with it as well. XVII had the iconic Riggins run.  XXII had the second quarter explosion.

XXVI was just a workmanlike beatdown........got the job done quite well, but not as memorable as the others.

XXVI was just a workmanlike beatdown........got the job done quite well, but not as memorable as the others.

Nonsense.

XXXVI was the culmination of a virtuoso masterclass on how to dominate the entire league in all aspects of the game - every single aspect - there was no achilles heel on that team. None

Dominant Offensive line pass protection - Check

Dominant Offensive line run blocking - Check

3 totally complimentary backs - Check

3 thousand yard receivers - Check

Classic drop back passer - Check

Number 1 offense in league in points - Check

Dominant pass rush - check

Ball-hawking secondary - Check

All-pro Outside linebacker - Check

All-Pro cornerback - Check

Number 2 defense in league in points - Check

Best turnover differential in league 18+ - Check

Special teams - all-pro, pro-bowl Kicker Chip Lohmiller- Check

Special teams - all-pro kick-returner Brian Mitchell - Check

Hardest schedule of ANY superbowl team EVER - Check

9 first or second team ALL-PROs

"Workmanlike beatdown" - Check TOTAL BULL

"Job done quite well" - Check TOTAL BULL

Sorry to tear you a new one hail2skins, but that team...

Take another look at that season - it's on Youtube and come back to me

Johnboy, trying to comprehend how you take a post that talks about memorable playoff games and think that translates into me denigrating the '91 team.

I've always thought the '91 team was the most well-rounded of the Gibbs I teams.

Was just trying to make the point that sometimes the memorable games, particularly in the postseason, colors people's reminiscing of teams, and that those signature memories were claimed more by the '82 and '87 teams.  The '91 team was better than both, but don't have that signature playoff win that seems to live in Skins lore.......even though their postseason wins that year were dominant.

Archived