Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USa Today: 91 Skins- Best team to win Superbowl

88Comrade2000

SIC, I was probably unclear and was coming at it more from the "which seasons were more memorable from a team's fanbase" point of view.

SF fans would probably rank the '81 season higher because of "The Catch."

NYG fans have a choice, but would probably put the '90 season and the win to prevent SF from going to a 3rd straight SB higher than the '86 season (when they also beat the 49ers in a huge rout before defeating the Skins).

From the Skins perspectives, the Super Bowl memories might have a lot to do with it as well. XVII had the iconic Riggins run.  XXII had the second quarter explosion.

XXVI was just a workmanlike beatdown........got the job done quite well, but not as memorable as the others.

I got ya. You're right, fans would look at those iconic moments and tag them respectively. My point was directed at the media; because of those so-called signature games that THEY deem are worthy of gaining respect for being a big win against a big name team.

Had there been drama inside the team between a player that was big news, it probably would have made a bigger impact on the media, but because we were a quiet ass-kicking machine who didn't create waves or controversy, we were not considered to be the best SB team ever.

Johnboy99's point has validity; we did have the most complete team, but because no other team was comparable or close to ours and we didn't play against them, the media looked at it as the Redskins being 'untested' in the playoffs. And its not our fault other teams were not as good, but hell we played some of them in the regular season and beat them there too; maybe if we had lost the home opener against Detroit then beat them down in the NFCC game, they might have looked at us differently.

Johnboy, trying to comprehend how you take a post that talks about memorable playoff games and think that translates into me denigrating the '91 team.

I've always thought the '91 team was the most well-rounded of the Gibbs I teams.

Was just trying to make the point that sometimes the memorable games, particularly in the postseason, colors people's reminiscing of teams, and that those signature memories were claimed more by the '82 and '87 teams.  The '91 team was better than both, but don't have that signature playoff win that seems to live in Skins lore.......even though their postseason wins that year were dominant.

Sorry if I went off the deep end at you Hail2

I understand what you mean about no signature playoff game but you can only beat who you meet

I get a little emotional about that '91 skins team (as you can no doubt tell). It was such a great feeling being a 'skins fan, I actually got shivers writing my little rebuke to you and reminiscing the outright perfection of that team.

Sorry again to you Hail - nothing personal

That was a great season - my son was 1 year old at the end of the season - we recorded the game with the radio broadcast over the tv broadcast of Frank Sam and Sonny - all wishing my son a Happy 1st Birthday 

It was an awesome season.

My daughter was born in 92 and my son says she jinxed the team and its her fault they haven't won since then ....

Oh and I think the 83 skins were the best team to lose a super bowl - I would put the Pats at number 2 on that list.

That 83 team was just incredible.

That week 17 game against the Eagles, remains one of my favorite games of all time.

Eagles were a lot of fun to watch back then. Best defense I've ever seen and it's really not close. Offense was a mess. I think Tommy Tupa was throwing passes at one point.

It figures the Cowboys would win 1 game that year and it was against the best team of all time.

What a perfect season. I grew up in Philly and was always a fan of both teams (until Vick). 91 absolutely made me a lifer for the Skins.

Actually the year the Cowboys won 1 game was in 88 or 89, not 91

Actually the year the Cowboys won 1 game was in 88 or 89, not 91

Yep, it was 1989 and they held us to 3 points. Winning that game would have put us at 11-5 and given us the final wild card (over the Rams). We then would have a third match up with the Eagles in the post-season. We also ended the season on a pretty hot streak, so winning a game or two in the playoffs wouldn't have been too far-fetched. 

Archived