Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015-2016 NCAA Basketball Thread - non-team-specific - NOW OFFICIAL 2016 MARCH MADNESS THREAD

PleaseBlitz

I went to Syracuse so had my eye on the MSU MTSU game, and wow that was surprising all the way through and in many ways helpful for them of course. 

Luckily, I have absolutely 0 sympathy for MSU once Jamele Hill on ESPN single handedly made them unlikeable for me a casual fan due to winning 1 regular season football game and gloating on t.v. about it for weeks kicking it off with a soliloquy on his & hers.  Sucks because Draymond, Kirk, and Tom Izzo are all cool MSU reps.

I went to Syracuse so had my eye on the MSU MTSU game, and wow that was surprising all the way through and in many ways helpful for them of course. 

Luckily, I have absolutely 0 sympathy for MSU once Jamele Hill on ESPN single handedly made them unlikeable for me a casual fan due to winning 1 regular season football game and gloating on t.v. about it for weeks kicking it off with a soliloquy on his & hers.  Sucks because Draymond, Kirk, and Tom Izzo are all cool MSU reps.

I love that Jamele Hill talks trash, it's entertaining, she also doesn't hide from it when it blows up in her face. Michael Smith already burned her on Twitter over this loss. First thing I do when MSU either loses or wins a big game is check Hill's Twitter for some fire.

The question begs, why did everyone love Michigan State so much? Their defense was HORRIBLE.

Hindsight is 20/20 but still.

I'm can't speak for anyone else, but for me it was because their losses came when Valentine was out or not yet 100%. Once he was back, they lost one game to Purdue by 1 point in overtime.

As for their defense, they are normally a good defensive team. This site has them near the top of the country in defensive efficiency. https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/defensive-efficiency

But this is what makes March great, upsets. Even those that no one seemingly called. I couldn't care less that my bracket is busted when it means getting to see upsets like this.

I'm can't speak for anyone else, but for me it was because their losses came when Valentine was out or not yet 100%. Once he was back, they lost one game to Purdue by 1 point in overtime.

As for their defense, they are normally a good defensive team. This site has them near the top of the country in defensive efficiency. https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/defensive-efficiency

But this is what makes March great, upsets. Even those that no one seemingly called. I couldn't care less that my bracket is busted when it means getting to see upsets like this.

I agree with your last part, 100%.  I'm not a huge college basketball fan but I pay casual attention, fill out a few brackets and watch the games.  I don't care my bracket is busted, seeing an upset like that is great.  

Totally.  Good reasoning.

Bottom line is that Middle Tennessee was on fire.  Not just from beyond the arc but in the paint as well.  They were driving and finishing.  They have length down low.  Michigan State got hit in the mouth early which gave MTS confidence.

I have three money brackets this year, has Michigan State winning it all in one of them so I was fooled as well.  Luckily in the other two I have Virginia is the final 4 - unfortunately that league has like 500+ people in in though.

I love that Jamele Hill talks trash, it's entertaining, she also doesn't hide from it when it blows up in her face. Michael Smith already burned her on Twitter over this loss. First thing I do when MSU either loses or wins a big game is check Hill's Twitter for some fire.

Oh yea, I totally acknowledge that she sucks it up and responds to the ebb and flow of her school's fortunes, it's more that MSU doesn't have too large of a sports media presence yet (other than Magic who is a legend and more volunteer as opposed to career based in his media presence) so she's sort of being a pioneer in establishing perceptions of her team from sources that also report news (which in sports media is obviously a loose term).

Meaning in simpler terms, and it's nothing important obviously, but she helps define my media-based layer of team likeability in the same way that pounds and pounds of dorks helps define my dislike for Duke, or my dislike of the Steelers, Patriots, Cowboys, Yankees etc etc etc, based on how certain personalities talk about them so it's nothing unique to her.  Most of them have tons of examples of people in the media who are just nauseating to listen to given how any of those teams fare.  So MSU doesn't have many, but Jamele is a large influence on that team by herself currently. 

I'd say a comparable example also from ESPN on a team you normally wouldn't find reason to hate as a casual fan would be that Skip alters my view of the Spurs single handedly, and makes them less likeable and more conflicting to root for sometimes. 

Why are you fouling 3 point shooters LOL

Even though Maryland won it doesn't look like a deep run is in them. Typically teams that go far win their early games decisively.

Not sure I'd say that. That was a trap game, a nasty 12 seed 3000 miles from home. And Maryland dominated the first 30+ minutes.

Why are you fouling 3 point shooters LOL

Even though Maryland won it doesn't look like a deep run is in them. Typically teams that go far win their early games decisively.

My sense from the past is that close early games tend to toughen teams up for longer runs.  Nothing to back that up, just truthiness on my part.   

My bracket is not too bad, so far.

The only messed up one is the Midwest region where I had Michigan State going as far as a showdown with Virginia, and losing.

Iona messes up the Midwest as well. :)

Other than that, I've only missed one minor game each in the South and West. I'm perfect in the East (so far).

All my Final Fours are still alive. :)

Archived