Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015-2016 NCAA Basketball Thread - non-team-specific - NOW OFFICIAL 2016 MARCH MADNESS THREAD

PleaseBlitz

I'm sure I'll be proven wrong, but I though the Pac12 was soft this year. Oregon at a 1 seed was a bit of a surprise.

I though WVU had earned a 2, but I guess the loss to Kansas in the B12 champ game and the win over Oklahoma in the semifinal did nothing to change the seeds for either team (WVU or Oklahoma).

I'm just glad WVU isn't facing Iona in the first round. That team frightens me.

Heart hurts from that loss, but getting a 1seed is helping to mend it nicely lol. UNC played strong defense inside all night and it paid off big time when London and Brogs got cold from the perimeter and just inside. The buckets stopped falling when it counted and the Heels pounced. I hate UNC but credit is much deserved as they just beat us down the stretch. Hope we get another crack at em.

Right now I'm seeing a lot of Hoos fans lamenting about being in the same group as MSU. Screw that. Obviously I'm sick of getting bounced by the same damn team seemingly every year, but if you can't beat em fair and square did you deserve to advance? No. Obviously things come into play there. But the past couple years Sparty just outplayed us.

I personally want a redemption tour in the tourney. I would love to put up Ws against Duke, UNC, and MSU on the way to a Natty. Lol Obviously winning is the most important, and I'm in no way trying to say "Oh we can smoke em all!" or anything. But man would it be sweet to run through the teams we had issues with this year and the last couple tourneys in the process.

Will be at the final tonight to watch UNC and Virginia. Cannot bring myself to root for UVA even though they are local. Can't do it. 

Everyone there as I said before is basically Carolina fans but there were a lot of UVA fans for the UVA game so I'm curious what turnout is like tonight. Will it be Chapel Hill North again? 

Trying to remember from the football threads because I thought I remember you mentioning something. Are you a VT fan IX?

Ix has like 10 favorite teams and they rotate based on who's playing good. :D

Haha Honestly I can't say much to that being that in all college sports I root for 4 teams. UVa, Florida, WVU, and Penn State

Never changes due to any success or failure though. Just like having a team in most of the power 5 and have some kind of tie to each of those. UVa being local and some personal reasons regarding family and their medical programs, WVU because of having had a cousin and some friends go there and having been to Motown and loved it. Seen a couple games at Milan Puskar and the Coliseum. Florida just because I grew up in the Spurrier era and latched to them as a kid first getting into football and have never let go. PSU because a couple good friends of mine come from Penn State families. Whether it be fans or alums.

IX gets credit for at least acknowledging UVa as local though. The fact that there are so many people here in NoVa that somehow consider VT as local but not UVa when one is a solid 4-5hr drive away and the other is maybe two on a bad day is mind boggling to me. But I would think that also has to do with the fact that UVa does a piss poor job of marketing up here.

Someone set up a pool

Ix has like 10 favorite teams and they rotate based on who's playing good. :D

What the **** no

UVA does have local representation and I learned it the hard way. Was at UVA VT night at Nats Park and UVA fans showed up big time. Was at UVA Miami and UVA unc at the ACC tournament and there were many locals from the area who were cheering hard for wahoo.

Honestly I don't care anymore about hating UVA. I've grown into a man I can't hate WVU or UVA as if they were scum. Being at the tournament changed that. Seeing UVA people who were just like me only wearing different school colors it changed my perception and feelings completely

LOL, y'all some hatin' mofos.   Why would anyone hate Wake Forest or GA Tech?  They haven't been relevant in college basketball in years, with the exception of GA Tech winning that sole championship back in 2004.  

Sure, they made some NCAA tourneys, but outside of the one championship between the two, nothing spectacular that should cause fans to hate them.  Beal are you a Terps fan?  

LOL, y'all some hatin' mofos.   Why would anyone hate Wake Forest or GA Tech?  They haven't been relevant in college basketball in years, with the exception of GA Tech winning that sole championship back in 2004.  

Sure, they made some NCAA tourneys, but outside of the one championship between the two, nothing spectacular that should cause fans to hate them.  Beal are you a Terps fan?

Growing up inside the beltway in the 80s, I've always had a soft spot for the Terps. At heart I'm a UVA/VCU guy. Now that the Terps are in the Big Ten, I can root for them to smack up Michigan/OSU/etc. without reservation. It's worked out quite nicely!

What's y'alls final four?  I need to take a deeper look into this, which I will later when doing my entire bracket.  But at a quick glance, I'm gonna go with:  Kansas, West Virginia, Michigan State, Oklahoma

As much as I want to put UNC in there, it depends on which team shows up.  If the UNC team that actually plays excellent defense and Marcus Paige sells his soul to the devil to get his shot back consistently, then I'd pick them to make it to the championship game.  But, I'll stick with an elite eight bounce for now.

Who I want in the Final 4 and who gets there are two different things.

It'll probably be my nightmare of Kentucky, Duke, UVA, and Kansas. Because that's exactly who (with the exception of Kansas) I don't want to make it. 

:doh:

Who I want in the Final 4 is different.

Kansas, Oklahoma, WVU, and who cares?

:)

I've seen quite a few folks that are saying WVU, OU, and KU are making the Final Four. I just can't see three teams from one conference making it through.

I have friends that like a different school for each sport. Boggles my mind

I may be little bit of an oddball for rooting for different schools. But at least I root for them in all sports. I've never understood rooting for a school based on the sport. Never has made sense to me. But I see it quite a bit. Including a close friend of mine who is a die-hard Duke basketball fan, who went to WVU. Which created a really interesting scenario for him when he was in school and held the door open for Desean Butler on his way out the door the same day or week the team was leaving to play in the Final Four that fateful year.

I have found that Duke tends to be a big culprit of that. UNC too actually. I've known quite a few people that root for them in basketball but couldn't name a single player on either football team. Same with VT in football locally along with a bunch of the football heavy schools.

I don't think Duke is going to make it past the 2nd round (loss to Baylor is my prediction).   Kentucky could pull something out, but I really don't think they will.  

Read today that out of the four #1 seeds, the combined number of total losses is the most in tournament history.  Which is why, outside of Kansas, who I think is playing the best ball right now, I can see all the other #1 seeds getting bounced before the final four.  UVA, UNC (having watched them play), they can be scary good or have an off night and drop games against teams they shouldn't.

Haven't kept up with Oregon at all as far as watching games, but their BPI is 16 overall and looking at their schedule, doesn't look like they beat anyone until the conference tourney, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the last point.

Yeah, Taze I think we both have legit reasons to be concerned down the stretch in that one thing that both of our squads have in common is that when they hit a rough patch or cold streak it can be absolutely deadly. I know for UVa anyway, if we don't have a substantial enough lead towards the end of games after having been forced to score from the perimeter most of the game and the buckets stop falling, we lose. Happened against your Heels. It's happened in other spots during the year.

I'm looking through the brackets to try and find who are going to be the surprise contenders and who is going to give teams fits and go deep if granted the right path. To me, those are going to be schools like Arizona, Iowa State, Indiana, and maybe a Gonzaga or Dayton. I think at least one or more of those schools specifically are no less than Elite Eight bound.

Archived