Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015-2016 NCAA Basketball Thread - non-team-specific - NOW OFFICIAL 2016 MARCH MADNESS THREAD

PleaseBlitz

what 2 seed do they have a better resume than? 

When we hang the banner from Rupp arena the answer will be...."All of them"

But thank you for once again demonstrating the moving scale of the seeding system.

One year it's record, the next it's road wins, the next it's RPI.

In the end it is what match-ups the Selection Committee wants to see and what will drive ratings for the most profit.

And since there was no IU-UK game this year the committee wanted to serve them up Battle Royale style.

Kentucky had some really bad losses this year that I suspect kept them from being a 2 seed.

Losses like to a bad UCLA, Ohio State, Auburn, and mediocre LSU and Tennessee.

Also..I see a lot of experts are expecting Stephen F Austin to pull the upset over WVU.

I'd hope not. I think this is the best WVU team in a long long time.

Kentucky had some really bad losses this year that I suspect kept them from being a 2 seed.

Early season losses.

But in the end the selection committee does what they want to do, it isn't conspiracy. Every year it's a different standard, on this board we call it moving the goal posts. And why do we move the goal posts if not to arrive at the outcome that we want?

Of course they like potential match-ups (e.g. IN/KY) in later rounds.  They want to make games interesting, though they tend to screw teams in seeding and some of the placement is questionable, imo.

I think VA has an easier road to the final four than UNC, even though UNC won the ACC regular season and beat VA to win the ACC tournament.  Doesn't make sense to me.  But at the end of the day, if you want to be champs, you have to beat some good/great teams, so when you play them shouldn't matter.

If we advance to play the winner of IN/KY and lose, we didn't deserve to be national champs, simple as that.

Early season losses.

But in the end the selection committee does what they want to do, it isn't conspiracy. Every year it's a different standard, on this board we call it moving the goal posts. And why do we move the goal posts if not to arrive at the outcome that we want?

body of work.  that's a phrase almost as old as the selection process itself.

Also..I see a lot of experts are expecting Stephen F Austin to pull the upset over WVU.

I'd hope not. I think this is the best WVU team in a long long time.

The Fancy Stats WaPo column by Neil Greenberg picking SFA over WVU is garbage. 

The Lumberjacks are the 13th most experienced team in the tournament, with an average of 2.15 years experience. Their bench also plays the 18th highest percentage of minutes (34.6 percent) among teams that made the field of 68. 

I don't have access to those stats (they are from KenPom), but i gotta imagine that WVU's bench plays more than that.

Stephen F. Austin created 6.2 extra possessions per game from turnovers this season and ranked 12th in the league for effective field goal percentage (55.5 percent), hitting 37.5 percent from three-point range. The Mountaineers’ offense ranks near the bottom of the league in offensive turnover percentage (19.6 out of every 100 possessions) and their defense puts teams on the free throw line more than any other team in the country, allowing them to take 54.8 percent of their field goals from the charity stripe.

WVU LEADS THE COUNTRY in extra possessions from turnovers (more than 11 per game).  Also, while WVU's defense puts other teams on the line more than any other team, WVU is also 2nd in the country in opponent fouls.  And they did this in the Big 12, the #1 RPI conference, not the Southland, which is 29th out of 32.   

Archived