Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015-2016 NCAA Basketball Thread - non-team-specific - NOW OFFICIAL 2016 MARCH MADNESS THREAD

PleaseBlitz

How about they hook a separate cheating Final Four this year with Syracuse, SMU, Louisville, and UNC. I know UNC has skated on their widespread academic fraud and Syracuse took its ban last post season when they sucked. But they should put these four schools in their own scandal bracket.

How about you drop your jealousy :)  UNC scandal, was university wide, it was not specific to just basketball players.  Kids thought they had an easy class, there was no way to know that it wasn't a legit class.  

While most of the basketball team caught wind of this easy, independent study class, it was offered to the entire campus and other non-athletes took the class.  When you were in college, did you check every class offered to make sure it was legit, approved?  No, you didn't, nor did I.  

When I heard of a certain easy professor, I tried to sign up for that class so I could get an easy A or B.  Just turned out that the corrupt class was not legit, no way for the student's (including athletes) could know any better.  

How about you drop your jealousy :)  UNC scandal, was university wide, it was not specific to just basketball players.  Kids thought they had an easy class, there was no way to know that it wasn't a legit class.  

While most of the basketball team caught wind of this easy, independent study class, it was offered to the entire campus and other non-athletes took the class.  When you were in college, did you check every class offered to make sure it was legit, approved?  No, you didn't, nor did I.  

When I heard of a certain easy professor, I tried to sign up for that class so I could get an easy A or B.  Just turned out that the corrupt class was not legit, no way for the student's (including athletes) could know any better.  

none of that absolves the university from it's wrong-doing. Their punishment should be institution wide.

none of that absolves the university from it's wrong-doing. Their punishment should be institution wide.

No it doesn't.  But there wasn't any wrong doing by the students, both non-athletes and athletes.  It was the wrong doing by one or two members of the university and they were terminated once all this information came out.

They created the class, it wasn't credentialed (iirc) and was a "bogus" class.  However the students did not know this, they caught wind of an easy independent study class where they could make an easy grade to boost their GPA and took it.  

Which is why there has not been any and will not be any punishment for any sports program there where some of the players took this class.  It wasn't a sports scandal, specific to athletes getting easy grades for say the basketball team or football team.  The professors/dean or whatever they were that created this fake class is the one that should be punished and they were.  

I'm sure they removed any credit from anyone that took the class too and adjusted their GPAs accordingly.  I would think they would at least, I don't know the specific guidelines for this and it impacted multiple students, not just athletes.

When I was in college, there was one professor that was notorious for getting an easy A.  He taught three different English classes (English Lit 2 and 3 and speech).  I signed up for all three of his classes since I needed them.  He didn't believe in tests, would give out the answers (multiple choice) the class before and tell us to memorize the answers if we wanted to.

Speech class was a joke too, no tests, he just graded us on one or two speeches.  Hell, the last two weeks of classes before finals, he would call everyone up individually, tell you how many tardys you had and absences and how many more of his classes you could skip to not fail the class.  Then gave you the time off lol.

And all his classes were real and credentialed.  

Not that anyone pays much attention, but it looks like UConn on the women's side is unbeatable again this year. I think they are always too good and it's bad for the sport to have one team so dominant. I know there is nothing you can do about it, but it's bad for the sport.

UMD Women have been dominant for a while also. Not to the level of UConn yet, but pretty much a top 10 team year in and year out. 

Women's BB has always been like that. TN, UConn, MD, LSU, etc. 

I thought the UNC scandal was more prevalent with the football team? Obviously the basketball team would get implicated, just considering the fact that it's UNC. But I was under the impression that a lot of the "Paper classes" stuff really came to light not long after UNC was trying to put a focus on football. I'm sure I'm probably mistaken or missing a point here, but that's just what I thought. I hate UNC, but university scandals of that magnitude and above always end up hurting innocent kids in one way or another, which to me goes beyond any sports rivalry.

I thought the UNC scandal was more prevalent with the football team? Obviously the basketball team would get implicated, just considering the fact that it's UNC. But I was under the impression that a lot of the "Paper classes" stuff really came to light not long after UNC was trying to put a focus on football. I'm sure I'm probably mistaken or missing a point here, but that's just what I thought. I hate UNC, but university scandals of that magnitude and above always end up hurting innocent kids in one way or another, which to me goes beyond any sports rivalry.

The 2010 investigation of the football team, tutors doing homework, receiving of improper benefits, etc. did lead them to find a large number of basketball and football players enrolled into that bogus class.  But their findings led that the class benefited other students not just athletes and the NCAA can't investigate the legitimacy of classes, that is left up to the actual school.

It's very bad, since it was around and counselors did steer athletes towards them.  But what is saving any NCAA punishment is that it was a university wide thing.  Here is a pretty good write up on it.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article43622670.html

I have little hope for WVU tonight. The Phog is hard to win at and KU is looking for vengeance.

I'm right with you.  Although, I was at the game Saturday and they looked GOOD.  But yea, beating KU twice in one year is a tall order.  

Gotta love Kansas fans though.  Of 7 predictions on SB nation, every one picked Kansas, some by double digits.  

http://www.rockchalktalk.com/kansas-jayhawk-basketball/2016/2/9/10952584/ku-predictions-vs-west-virginia

Yes. It was on sportscenter top plays Monday I believe.

Roy Williams faints. First Coach K, now Roy. What are they putting in the Gatorade down in East Carolina?

Heard today that he collapsed from an episode of vertigo.  Evidently, he said he has battled it for 18 years and this was the first time it hit him during an actual game.  

Archived