Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think Dustin Hopkins has a case of the yips

kgor93

Definition of the yips. I was at the game on Sunday and he looked particularly shaky. There was virtually no wind yet he couldn't seem to even get his kickoffs in the end zone. Plus he barely made a couple extra points. He looked fine in warm-ups and was hitting kicks from the 40 but it was like once the game started he became a different kicker.

I hope he figures it out but I can't shake the sick feeling that he could miss at a crucial point.

I could be wrong but I would say at least half of his kickoffs made the endzone.Noticed the Bills kicker was short on a couple of his kickoffs also going in one direction.Hopkin's kicks that were short were going in that same direction,if memory serves.I would say there was a bit of a wind.

I tend to think it might be more situational than anything. He seemed short against the Bears at times, and when we changed side, he was booming them as well.

Didn't pay too much attention if they were straight kicks or sided kicks. It may be also asked by the coaching staff. Sometimes, trying to lure the Kick returner to return the guy (those guys love to make plays) to give opportunities to the return team for a fumble, or a long field (ie return that doesn't go furter than 20 yards line).

Also, yeah, he may be getting tired from the season, still I haven't found a reason to kick it like a 50 yarder FG when you're just doing the Extra Point.But that's nothing troublesome so far. Guys is still getting the job done pretty nicely.

This seems scientific and based on something that actually exists. Or not...

So, according to random guy on the internet, he feels that Hopkins might miss in the future. Great. All kickers miss! Hopkins has had a great season to date. He's one of 7 guys to be perfect on extra points (and yeah, I realize he did not play the whole season). He's cracking the top 10 in FG % made at 88%. And has done well on kickoffs only 21 have been returned (against 42 touchbacks). That's above average. See here:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/kickoff-return-yards/2015/

He's been great. He may have a bad week coming. Who knows? But its not like there's any real reason to believe he'll radically change.

I always love when fans assume they know what's going on.  That goes for me, too.

But how do we know that he wasn't intentionally kicking it high to entice a kick return?

I mean... several times the Bills starting field position was inside their own 20.  He also put it out of the end zone a couple of times.

We don't know unless we ask the coaches and they tell us.

“Here we are, I’m out enjoying our playoff run, and we’re talking about our idiot kicker, who might have got liquored up and ran his leg off. What is the sports world coming to when we’re talking about idiot kickers? He has ruined kickers for life. Akers and Vinatieri, these guys are great guys, and they’ve been getting killed all week because our idiot ran his leg."

Geesh!

“Here we are, I’m out enjoying our playoff run, and we’re talking about our idiot kicker, who might have got liquored up and ran his leg off. What is the sports world coming to when we’re talking about idiot kickers? He has ruined kickers for life. Akers and Vinatieri, these guys are great guys, and they’ve been getting killed all week because our idiot ran his leg."

Geesh!

Haha wow. Where's that quote from?

Haha wow. Where's that quote from?

It's a revised quote from Peyton Manning who was speaking at the Pro Bowl about then Colts kicker Mike Vanderjact who said something along the lines of Peyton tenses up in big spots or chokes or something like that. If I remember correctly, he wasn't the Colts kicker for long after

It's a revised quote from Peyton Manning who was speaking at the Pro Bowl about then Colts kicker Mike Vanderjact who said something along the lines of Peyton tenses up in big spots or chokes or something like that. If I remember correctly, he wasn't the Colts kicker for long after

Yeah I remember that. He was all like I'm trying to hype this guy up and theres nothing there. Basically saying he has no guts.

Funny thing is it was Vanderjagt ("The Most Accurate Kicker In The History of the NFL") who completely screwed up a makeable fg against the Steelers in that '05 playoff game that would've sent them to the AFC Championship.

Hewas cut, then proceeded to watch another makeable fg end in disaster with the Cowboys, as it was blocked by Troy Vincent, then returned upfield by Sean Taylor. :)

I was also at the game and while he was not getting the ball to the EZ in the first half, the second half he was booming them. My assumption was it was at the direction of the STs coach or as someone else said, the Buf kicker was not getting the ball deep in the first half either.

As for him "looking shaky" I have no idea you are talking about. He looked solid to me. Not all kicks are going to be straight up the middle booming kicks. As for Extra points being close, I didn't see it. My POV was not the best admittedly, but they looked fine from where I was looking.

IMO we have enough real problems to be looking for ones that don't exist. The guy is killing it, unless of course now he has been jinxed.

I could be wrong but I would say at least half of his kickoffs made the endzone.Noticed the Bills kicker was short on a couple of his kickoffs also going in one direction.Hopkin's kicks that were short were going in that same direction,if memory serves.I would say there was a bit of a wind.

It was the upper strata of winds, combined with the unusually warm weather.  Humidity plus wind layering tends to cause the ball to hang up when above 10 feet.

Archived