Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: Salary of RG3 going forward.

TimmySmith

Really? How do you figure??But Ok, I will play along.

So if I care about him and wish him well I am not a Redskins fan? I am a RGIII fan?

Someone else brought up Lorenzo Alexander. I hated to see him go but understood why. I was really glad to see him get a chance. So since I cared about him I am not a Redskins fan? I saw an awful, awful lot of people wishing Lorenzo well. Where was this sentiment that wishing him well in AZ makes you a LA fan not a Redskins fan?

No one said a thing because it's stupid.The roots of this narrative are purely rooted in Robert hatred and that is ignorant, damned ignorant.

Jeez, you seem awfully confrontational here.

All I said is that 'not caring' is not the same thing as outright hatred. I don't mind if you wish a player well, and I wouldn't take it upon myself to judge someone else's 'fanhood' based on such a thing.

It's silly and futile. I don't agree with that part of the original post, only that stating one's lack of interest in a player's future does not equate to hatred in any way, and professing such a statement as being equal to hatred is disingenuous.

Why get so fired up about some random poster claiming you aren't a fan of a sports team? I mean....if you're spending time on this board then you obviously are!

Of course, you can be a fan of a player AND a team, and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

What NFL system would Griffin be successful running?  Despite several years of opportunities he didn't even flash much less sustain any competence in an NFL pocket and post injuries he doesn't appear viable or durable enough in a hybrid dual threat role to me.  I can't imagine a team wanting him as a starter and he doesn't appear to be the kind of mentally sharp/quick kind of guy who can perform off the bench without getting a lot more reps than backups get so I don't see value as a backup.

There are a lot of young college guys coming out every year who can also throw the ball 70 yards that don't have his health issues and may not have his pocket limitations.  Robert doesn't appear to me to be a "near miss guy" that couldn't quite get over the hump or was overshadowed by a better guy Robert missed the mark badly.  Maybe some other NFL team will try to help him grow in the pocket but it looks like a suckers bet to me so I don't see him being valuable in the NFL but I don't know enough about the CFL game to know if he could thrive in Canada. 

What NFL system would Griffin be successful running?  Despite several years of opportunities he didn't even flash much less sustain any competence in an NFL pocket and post injuries he doesn't appear viable or durable enough in a hybrid dual threat role to me. I can't imagine a team wanting him as a starter and he doesn't appear to be the kind of mentally sharp/quick kind of guy who can perform off the bench without getting a lot more reps than backups get so I don't see value as a backup.

There are a lot of young college guys coming out every year who can also throw the ball 70 yards that don't have his health and may not have his pocket limitations. Robert doesn't appear to me to be a "near miss guy" that couldn't quite get over the hump or was overshadowed by a better guy Robert missed the mark badly. Maybe some other NFL team will try to help him grow in the pocket but it looks like a suckers bet to me so I don't see him being valuable in the NFL but I don't know enough about the CFL game to know if he could thrive in Canada.

Now THIS is the kind of post to get defensive about!

lol :)

What NFL system would Griffin be successful running?  Despite several years of opportunities he didn't even flash much less sustain any competence in an NFL pocket and post injuries he doesn't appear viable or durable enough in a hybrid dual threat role to me.  I can't imagine a team wanting him as a starter and he doesn't appear to be the kind of mentally sharp/quick kind of guy who can perform off the bench without getting a lot more reps than backups get so I don't see value as a backup.

There are a lot of young college guys coming out every year who can also throw the ball 70 yards that don't have his health and may not have his pocket limitations.  Robert doesn't appear to me to be a "near miss guy" that couldn't quite get over the hump or was overshadowed by a better guy Robert missed the mark badly.  Maybe some other NFL team will try to help him grow in the pocket but it looks like a suckers bet to me so I don't see him being valuable in the NFL but I don't know enough about the CFL game to know if he could thrive in Canada. 

Makes one wonder why the Skins were/are prepared to throw $16m at him.

We know that all truth is somewhere in the middle of the argument.  Griffin is still young enough and will be had cheap enough (by NFL standard) to make a worthy risk.  By next season he will not have been hit in a year and a half and will finally have had the schooling that he really needed.  Now whether that schooling was worthwhile will be discovered very quickly by the multitude of teams that work him out, and many will.  There is still way too much upside for someone in need of a spark to let him slip by.  He will have a pick of suitors. 

Jeez, you seem awfully confrontational here.

All I said is that 'not caring' is not the same thing as outright hatred. I don't mind if you wish a player well, and I wouldn't take it upon myself to judge someone else's 'fanhood' based on such a thing.

It's silly and futile. I don't agree with that part of the original post, only that stating one's lack of interest in a player's future does not equate to hatred in any way, and professing such a statement as being equal to hatred is disingenuous.

Why get so fired up about some random poster claiming you aren't a fan of a sports team? I mean....if you're spending time on this board then you obviously are!

Of course, you can be a fan of a player AND a team, and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

I am sorry, I meant no ill will to you. I apologize if my response to you felt confrontational. It probably was/is. But I was simply making my point which I still stand by. I also took your statement as a defense of the other poster questioning how much a fan people are. I appreciate you clarifying.

Honestly, I don't disagree that in general terms equating hatred with not caring is disingenuous, my point was in this case they are the same. The root of the statement comes from hatred.

Questioning how much a fan someone is a pet peeve of mine. Small minded people use it when they have no other argument. It's designed solely to put others down. I just can't let **** like that go.

RGIII was always accurate which is a big NFL plus. When his head was right (and it's a huge question whether he can ever get his head right again) he could hit every pass in the book and make huge plays at ease. He still has a good skill set, arm agility, speed. What he lacks is pocket awareness, pocket confidence, and escapability... although I would argue he showed a lot of escapability and even pocket presense that first and even second year.

Injuries, missing training camps, and getting the snot beat out of him really hurt him as a player. I don't know if he can return to what he was, but he was reading the field once and hitting his second and third read. That disappeared last year. He lost total confidence in his last two years. He lost confidence in the line and in his play callers. His benching was therefore called for. Cousins has stepped up and played pretty well.

It's a shame we have to revise history to make someone less than he was. He was great and was undone by injuries, coaches, and himself... but he was absolutely great and it wasn't about being in a gimmick offense because that gimmick offense.

I am sorry, I meant no ill will to you. I apologize if my response to you felt confrontational. It probably was/is. But I was simply making my point which I still stand by. I also took your statement as a defense of the other poster questioning how much a fan people are. I appreciate you clarifying.

Honestly, I don't disagree that in general terms equating hatred with not caring is disingenuous, my point was in this case they are the same. The root of the statement comes from hatred.

Questioning how much a fan someone is a pet peeve of mine. Small minded people use it when they have no other argument. It's designed solely to put others down.I just can't let **** like that go.

It's cool, no worries. I'm sorry that my response came off like a defense of the 'not really a fan of the team' drivel.

Not caring about how Griffin fares for the rest of his career may very well be motivated by hatred in the case of some posters. For others, I think it may be fatigue from the whole situation rather than hatred, and this fatigue has as much to do with outside factors as it does with Griffin himself.

Anyways, it's december and the Redskins may actually make the playoffs! I have a really hard time bearing any ill will towards any fellow fan, regardless of which players they like!

After all, we all hoped the kid would pan out here at some point. Some just kept that hope alive longer than others. I think everyone is regretful that it didn't work out.

Makes one wonder why the Skins were/are prepared to throw $16m at him.

We know that all truth is somewhere in the middle of the argument.  Griffin is still young enough and will be had cheap enough (by NFL standard) to make a worthy risk.  By next season he will not have been hit in a year and a half and will finally have had the schooling that he really needed.  Now whether that schooling was worthwhile will be discovered very quickly by the multitude of teams that work him out, and many will.  There is still way too much upside for someone in need of a spark to let him slip by.  He will have a pick of suitors. 

The cynic in me thinks the GM and coach wanted to exercise that 16M option to have enough leverage to bring the Griffin development project to a conclusion earlier than otherwise.  Griffin is a likable guy, I wish him well and maybe he'll surprise me and the light bulb will go on and become productive with another team.

Both Cousins and RG3 will NOT be on this roster together next year, thats impossible.  Based on Kirks play so far, you wont be keeping RG3 over him.  That means he goes elsewhere, in which case I can see either him getting a 2 year prove it deal, or a deal loaded with incentives but with a low base. 

I think Dallas is a prime candidate for RG3.

Earlier I posted about some teams that I thought would (might) be interested in Griffin. What I failed to mention was I wouldn't be surprised if a number of those teams would look for ways to hedge their bets, contract-wise, to protect themselves for scenarios where Griffin got injured.

I also suspect some teams would offer Griffin the short "prove it" deals like what "Pot Roast" Knighton got. And other teams might offer longer-term deals but only with the understanding that Griffin would have to wait while being phased-in while their current starting QB was being phased out. (Even then I expect some those offers would be structured in such a manner --backloaded contracts, and little guaranteed money -- that they could waive Griffin in the early years and not take a huge cap hit.)

Even with the pool of serviceable NFL QBs being so thin in 2016 -- Griffin has enough question marks in 2015 to weaken his bargaining power. And so it may be possible that Griffin won't be able to command that mega-bucks, multi year contract where Robert steps in and automatically is handed the starter's position. Because he's now viewed as a bit of a gamble.

So, I think Griffin would be wise look for the best situation to continue to gain more skills as a pocket passing QB, even if it means waiting in the wings a year or more. More importantly, he should see if he could hook up with a team with a creative offensive philosophy that fits his skill set -- even if it means being back up for a while.

So, maybe a team like Arizona might be the best idea. Palmer is nearing the end of his career and Bruce Arians & staff WOULD find ways to maximize Griffins talent.

RG3 just isn't a threat.  It wouldn't matter if he goes to Dallas or Philly, but I would love to play him twice a year as a starter for a divisional rival for sure. 

Skins did not 'throw 16m' at RG3.  I don't know why people are saying that.  They invested on a high draft pick that didn't pan out.  The backend of the contract was an option and he's not getting it. 

I can't see him getting a third of that 16m from anyone after he loses his job and gets cut. 

Sam Bradford will be a Free Agent and is in a better situation than KC to get paid. 

Who are you taking for 15m a year???  Sam Bradford, KC, or RG3? 

I think for 10-15m per year that you're taking KC on a 3 yr. deal.  Structured with a backend where you can cut bait after 3. 

Really? How do you figure??  But Ok, I will play along. 

So if I care about him and wish him well I am not a Redskins fan? I am a RGIII fan?

Someone else brought up Lorenzo Alexander. I hated to see him go but understood why. I was really glad to see him get a chance. So since I cared about him I am not a Redskins fan? I saw an awful, awful lot of people wishing Lorenzo well. Where was this sentiment that wishing him well in AZ makes you a LA fan not a Redskins fan?

No one said a thing because it's stupid. The roots of this narrative are purely rooted in Robert hatred and that is ignorant, damned ignorant.

can be the same as if a Tar Heel gets drafted by another team...doesn't mean I don't follow and root for them..hell, I loved me some LT, he was my favorite Tar Heel of all time...even more than MJ....well, until he beat up an underage hooker..."cost a lil' more but its well worth it"...

tumblr_m0ty32xPhr1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

and one of my favorite Skins of all time, who would have flourished nowa days...

NFWQYDHXGRBRXCC.20130503105427.jpg

Not as much as you think. There are plays in every game where defenders come through quickly but Kirk steps up or slides or rolls to avoid the pressure where Robert would have gotten killed. 

What I find odd is that RG showed decent pocket awareness his rookie year...like I've suggested before he needs to run a more read-option style offense... he just seemed more certain...maybe because of his familiarity with the way a read option sets up the pocket and the timing of how a play unfolds...either way, I'd bet he won't make it unless he concedes to run a read option offense...it will take him years to learn how to QB in a pro style offense...I know he can do it but will a team give him time to learn...

can be the same as if a Tar Heel gets drafted by another team...doesn't mean I don't follow and root for them..hell, I loved me some LT, he was my favorite Tar Heel of all time...even more than MJ....well, until he beat up an underage hooker..."cost a lil' more but its well worth it"...

and one of my favorite Skins of all time, who would have flourished nowa days...

He did not beat up an under-age hooker at all. He was set up. Her uncle put her up to it but she ended up really liking LT. The girl was not hurt and refused to testify. She even admitted to police she told him she was 20. They still prosecuted him for statutory rape for which they do not need her testimony.

I was fortunate enough to meet LT at a golf course in FL. My ex-girlfriend had him at her house for a charity event sponsored by Miller Light where players from opposing teams - in this case philly (Keith Byars)/giants (LT) - come to your house and watch the game with you. She is a huge Carolina fan. She had a bunch of District Managers over and he she said he was the consummate gentleman. But she also followed the hooker story very close which is why I know the details so well.

I was playing golf in FL and LT walked up as we were waiting to tee off. He remembered her. He could not have been nicer.

The whole thing was rigged.

What I find odd is that RG showed decent pocket awareness his rookie year...like I've suggested before he needs to run a more read-option style offense... he just seemed more certain...maybe because of his familiarity with the way a read option sets up the pocket and the timing of how a play unfolds...either way, I'd bet he won't make it unless he concedes to run a read option offense...it will take him years to learn how to QB in a pro style offense...I know he can do it but will a team give him time to learn...

I really believe he lost his confidence and started questioning himself. He could do all those things in 2012, but when he returned he steadily regressed. I will always believe he simply lost his confidence. Until he gets that back, it will be tough for him.  

I really believe he lost his confidence and started questioning himself. He could do all those things in 2012, but when he returned he steadily regressed. I will always believe he simply lost his confidence. Until he gets that back, it will be tough for him.  

Man thanks GoSkins!... I never knew that part of the story...I was always willing to over look his other transgressions because he is LT...every time I've heard an interview with him he seemed humble...

It was mistake to give RG that $16 million pending bonus.  Otherwise, they might have been able to trade him for a mid to late round pick.   Cuz, they will end up having to let him walk for nothing.   

For that alone, they wanted him to be the starter.   But he frankly was not out performing Kirk.  

I agree with everything you aid but with one addition.  Robert had to be more than just hurt in a game. He has to be so injured that he cannot be cleared to paly be the end of the NFL fiscal season (the end of March I think). 

I still agree it's too much a risk unless he is your planned starter. Not saying you, but some have made it sounds like if he goes out for a game we owe $16M and it's not the simple.

Yeah, but it's the Redskins. If Griffin got hurt it would not be some minor 1-2 game thing. It would be a super-concussion or another ACL or something, because that's just how things work out for us. Reggie Bush destroyed his knee on that horrific concrete barrier around the wall in St. Louis, so I was kinda shocked that Robert didn't end up tearing something in his shoulder the 1 game he dressed in pads because we had 12 guys injured.

Archived