Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: Salary of RG3 going forward.

TimmySmith

Once they picked up his option for next year, it was starter or nothing. They decided to start Cousins, so Griffin is done here. There's no point in him being the main backup, because if he does have to come in and gets hurt, the team is on the hook for his contract next year.

Whether Griffin or McCoy is better at this point is completely irrelevant. If Robert isn't starting, he's not playing. It's too much of a financial gamble otherwise.

I agree with everything you aid but with one addition.  Robert had to be more than just hurt in a game. He has to be so injured that he cannot be cleared to paly be the end of the NFL fiscal season (the end of March I think). 

I still agree it's too much a risk unless he is your planned starter. Not saying you, but some have made it sounds like if he goes out for a game we owe $16M and it's not the simple.

Just for ****s and giggles, last years (top) free agent QB's received:

Ryan Mallet:  2 years $7 million

Mark Sanchez: 2 years $9 million, up to $16 million with incentives

Brian Hoyer: 2 years $10.5 million

Shaun Hill: 2 years $6.5 million

Josh McCown: 3 years $14 million

I'm looking for 2 years up to $14 million including incentives

Good post.  I cannot see signing Griffin for 2 without an option for a 3rd.  So 2/14 with a team option of 10-15 for the 3rd is about right.  That way everyone is protected.

I agree with everything you aid but with one addition.  Robert had to be more than just hurt in a game. He has to be so injured that he cannot be cleared to paly be the end of the NFL fiscal season (the end of March I think). 

I still agree it's too much a risk unless he is your planned starter. Not saying you, but some have made it sounds like if he goes out for a game we owe $16M and it's not the simple.

Don't know why, but sometimes I feel like Robert's will be on the field at least once this season...

Don't know why, but sometimes I feel like Robert's will be on the field at least once this season...

I felt like that too, only in the event Kirk was to suffer an injury combined with a poor record.  Might as well kick the tires before you let him go and see if he's progressed at all.

But at this point in week 15, not very likely at all.

I felt like that too, only in the event Kirk was to suffer an injury combined with a poor record.  Might as well kick the tires before you let him go and see if he's progressed at all.

But at this point in week 15, not very likely at all.

Yeah I envisioned this kind of things as well. I don't see it happening anymore. Maybe in Week 17 if we're in and resting guys. He might get a shot to show he's improved.

Somehow I think he deserves it, to show he can a football player, elsewhere obviously. That would be due diligence to me, but I know that's not how the NFL works.

I can see Houston being a good fit for him. I can also see Dallas, really Jones, wanting Griffin; after that turkey day game in 2012, he was drooling over the guy. He's got the bucks, Romo is cracking shoulders every other week, and talking to Cowboy fans here, they want nothing to do with his replacement right now.

The QB market will be hot for a QB, college isn't putting out anything great over the next few years, so FA signings are the 'in' thing for QBs. Plus a change of scenery would do him some good; Griffin has been bashed around so much in the media the last few years, change might do him some good. Wherever he goes, I hope they have a good QB coach to guide him, he will need that.

In two quarters of preseason play this year, Robert took double digit hits that graded out as "Possibly Fatal" on the Ramsey Scale. Kirk hasn't taken anything close to that all season long.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  "The Ramsey Scale". 

teams I think would be interested in Griffin:

1. Dallas (marketing, mainly)

2. Kansas City (phase in for Smith)

3. New York Jets (phase-in for Fitzpatrick)

4. Buffalo (upgrade from Tyrod)

Teams that m-i-g-h-t take a flyer on him:

1. Houston (Texas roots/marketing, possible fit)

2. Denver (familiar with Kubiak system, could step in if Osweiler falters)

3. Cleveland (if Manziel gets caught up in something bad)

I don't think Kelly would choose Griffin, just for his running. Much of Chip's offense seems to be based on quick diagnosis, quick adjustments, quick selection, and accurate passing. I don't think Griffin would be seen as the ideal fit. I think Kelly might be more interested in Cousins or McCoy first.

I would move Houston to the upper level ahead of Buffalo and KC.

I would also add St Louis as a possible destination.  Foles and Keenum are no threat and it would give Fisher a chance to gloat about the trade which is apparently all that he has going for him at this point...got all those Skins picks AND the guy they traded them all for....

They'll still suck though...because Jeff (the Douche) Fisher

I would also add St Louis as a possible destination.  Foles and Keenum are no threat and it would give Fisher a chance to gloat about the trade which is apparently all that he has going for him at this point...got all those Skins picks AND the guy they traded them all for....

They'll still suck though...because Jeff (the Douche) Fisher

I think St. L is very high on the list.  And no one talks about New Orleans who has been fairly open about the possibility about dumping Brees and part of that huge salary.

I'll also this about Jeff Fisher, he can take any team and make them 8-8, whether they should be 1-15 or 15-1.

$0.  I really don't see any value in Robert at all.  His pocket skills are so far below minimum he's of no value to the Redskins.  What does he have to offer another franchise?  He is frail and lost his lateral quickness so he isn't a sustainable dual threat guy anymore.  Maybe some franchise will offer Griffin a deal but it looks like throwing money away to me.

We are in an NFL that has given Blaine Gabbert, Tim Tebow, and Vince Young second (or even third) chances. Thinking Griffin is not going to be signed at all or isn't worthy anything is no more realistic or intelligent than suggesting he's going to get a $10+ per year contract.

Nor does that in any way, shape, or form help this team.

What I would suggest we fans who thinks Griffin is leaving should root for is the following...

He signs to a pretty decent sized deal with an AFC team, somehow manages to start, and actually has a successful season next year.

If that occurs, then at least there's a fair chance we could gain some kind of value from him via compensation picks.

The same oline?

Didn't realize that lhe last two years Scherff, Moses, Long, and Lereibus were out there protecting Robert. You're right... it's exactly the same as last year. I mean Polumbus, Chester, Lavaou, and Litchensteiger have been playing all year!

I think it's fair to think that Griffin played a role in his sacks. He certainly would sometimes hold onto the ball maddeningly long, but we are not playing with the same line as last year. Only Williams remains in as a blocker and not even the o line coach is the same. I'm quite happy with how Cousins has progressed, but it's pretty stupid to create fictions.

Last years o line was a sieve esp. in the middle. McCoy and Griffin both showed that. Cousins does have a knack for avoiding pressure. He's good at it, but we saw his ints last year and his inaccuracy last year and that may be partly attributable to line play. Griffin's gone from the team. No need to bury him. His fall was a combo of injuries, a mental block, and a woeful line. Cousins is better, though even Cousins can yield a three sack game (like last week)

At any rate, I have nothing against Griffin. He's been a good teammate this year, gave us an incredible season, and then couldn't progress fast enough. I don't know if he can do it, but I'm pretty sure at this point he can't do it here, but let's not pretend the o line last year didn't suck. There's a reason 2/5s of them weren't even invited back to training camp.

Lich and Lavaou started the season. The right side is new. But Scherff is a rookie and Moses might as well be. He's a first year player. To state that "Cousins is better" than RG3 at avoiding sacks is like saying the Pats are better than the Browns. They are not even in the same league when it comes to pocket awareness and making a quick decision on where to throw the ball.

C'mon, Lavaou played what... Two games? And I don't care if they're rookies, Scherff and Moses are worlds better than Polumbus and Chester. Polumbus routinely whiffed on his assignment and Chester played on roller skates. They weren't bad, they were awful.

I don't get the people that are all "I want RG3 to have a long and successful career." I honestly don't care. I have no loyalty to him. I'm a REDSKINS fan. I mean its one thing if he spent 10-15 years with the team and made a bunch of Pro Bowls, then sure I'll wish him the best.

Just confirms that many people are RG3 fans, not Redskins fans.

With that said, some team will sign him and give him an opportunity to start. He won't go anywhere just to be a backup. He could compete for a starting job at the following:

Buffalo

Cleveland(depending on the Manziel situation)

Kansas City(also Andy Reid has a good history of developing run first QBs into decent passers)

Houston

St. Louis

New Orleans(IF they let Drew Brees go)

People are pencilling him into Dallas and Philly. I don't see either of those happening. Dallas is still committed to Romo and RG3 isn't going to go somewhere where he's just going to be a backup. And contrary to popular belief he doesn't fit the Chip Kelly style of QB at all, Chip wants his QBs to be quick and decisive.

Personally I think his career is finished. He no longer has the speed that made him lethal, and he's proven he lacks the instincts and feel to play QB  at a high level. He'll bounce around the league for another couple of years or so before pursuing a career in politics.

We are in an NFL that has given Blaine Gabbert, Tim Tebow, and Vince Young second (or even third) chances. Thinking Griffin is not going to be signed at all or isn't worthy anything is no more realistic or intelligent than suggesting he's going to get a $10+ per year contract.

Nor does that in any way, shape, or form help this team.

What I would suggest we fans who thinks Griffin is leaving should root for is the following...

He signs to a pretty decent sized deal with an AFC team, somehow manages to start, and actually has a successful season next year.

If that occurs, then at least there's a fair chance we could gain some kind of value from him via compensation picks.

Except we don't get compensation picks unless he leaves via FA.

We are cutting him.  We will get nada.

Except we don't get compensation picks unless he leaves via FA.

We are cutting him.  We will get nada.

Ah! Good point. For some reason I thought we had the ability to simply rescind the extension offer by a certain date as opposed to actually CUTTING him. If that's not the case, you're right which is unfortunate....the more opportunities for comp picks we can get, the better

I don't get the people that are all "I want RG3 to have a long and successful career."

For many of the same reasons people wish Lorenzo well when he went to the Cardinals. For some of the same reasons many were happy for Ryan Clark in succeeding in Pittsburgh. When a person's played well for our team and it doesn't end on a horribly sour note (ala Arrington) and they're not going in division (like Pierce), a segment of the fans generally wish them well outside of when it would negatively affect the Redskins. It doesn't mean they're not fans of the Redskins, but simply is an indication that they are not the type of people that can root for the players on the Redskins and not gain a bit of an affinity for them.

If there's someone rooting for a player to leave the Redskins and actually do good AGAINST the Redskins, then that is definitely worthy of questioning (and even then, how many times have we seen fans want something bad to happen to this team to "show Snyder" why he's wrong?). But simply rooting for a guy after they've left? I don't think that's fair to question someone's fanhood over.

There's no issue if someone doesn't feel that way, but I think it's wrong to act like that scorched earth with former players is the only way to be a "true" fan.

I'm a Redskins fan; but when Lorenzo left, while I was sad to see him leave, I was happy to see him having a chance to start and wished him well. Why? Because personally he seemed like a good guy and on the field he provided positive memories for me as a Redskins fan, and so long as his doing well didn't directly impact the Redskins I wished him the best.

I'll likely have a very similar view if/when Morris and Griffin are no longer with us.

All the things ZRagone said, plus I believe there is a sentiment that our organization contributed to his downfall.  From Dan treating him differently than the rest of the team to hiring a WCO coach to 'coach up' a guy with his skillset.  Add to that the unfortunate injuries in the midst of it all.

Sure he's said some things that he probably shouldn't but we handled him rather poorly as well. 

Also, off the field, he's an incredible, charitable, all around good person.  You root for people like that in general.

On the other side, I believe that most who pile on and relish in that they expect him to be out of the league in a few years, are simply scorned from the entire experience.

I don't get the people that are all "I want RG3 to have a long and successful career." I honestly don't care. I have no loyalty to him. I'm a REDSKINS fan. I mean its one thing if he spent 10-15 years with the team and made a bunch of Pro Bowls, then sure I'll wish him the best.

Just confirms that many people are RG3 fans, not Redskins fans.

Edit...

It could easily be said that statements like the one above proves those people are Kirk Cousins fans or just plain RGIII haters not Redskins fans. However, making such broad generalizations against your fellow fans is just ignorant. So I would never make such a statement.

Sorry I have some humanity and wish another human being well after they leave here. I am glad Kirk Cousins is our QB but that does not mean I have to hate Robert. That's just stupid.

I can guaruntee you there are quite a few of you who will be wishing Kirk the best should he head elsewhere in the future as well.  As the previous poster said, some guys come off like they are more Kirk fans than they are Redskins fans.  Although I think it has more to do with the fact that "they knew he was going to be good" and get their rocks off on being somewhat right about a player for once.

It could easily be said that statements like the one above proves those people are Kirk Cousins fans or just plain RGIII haters not Redskins fans. However, making such broad generalizations against your fellow fans is just ignorant. So I would never make such a statement.

Sorry I have some humanity and wish another human being well after they leave here. I am glad Kirk Cousins is our QB but that does not mean I have to hate Robert. That's just stupid.

There's a difference between 'not caring' and hatred.

There's a difference between 'not caring' and hatred.

Really? How do you figure??  But Ok, I will play along. 

So if I care about him and wish him well I am not a Redskins fan? I am a RGIII fan?

Someone else brought up Lorenzo Alexander. I hated to see him go but understood why. I was really glad to see him get a chance. So since I cared about him I am not a Redskins fan? I saw an awful, awful lot of people wishing Lorenzo well. Where was this sentiment that wishing him well in AZ makes you a LA fan not a Redskins fan?

No one said a thing because it's stupid. The roots of this narrative are purely rooted in Robert hatred and that is ignorant, damned ignorant.

Archived