Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: Salary of RG3 going forward.

TimmySmith

What I find odd is that RG showed decent pocket awareness his rookie year...like I've suggested before he needs to run a more read-option style offense... he just seemed more certain...maybe because of his familiarity with the way a read option sets up the pocket and the timing of how a play unfolds...either way, I'd bet he won't make it unless he concedes to run a read option offense...it will take him years to learn how to QB in a pro style offense...I know he can do it but will a team give him time to learn...

You make some good points about the read option helping him. In the passing game His read progression was very simple in 2012. Two reads then take off. The defenders had to sit a little bit instead of rushing hard up the field. If they blow by RG3 in his prime he takes off for a big gain. So in that respect you are right about the read option being the perfect offense for RG3 IN HIS PRIME. We dont know if he has regained that blazing speed that made him such a threat in 2012 though. He definitely didnt have it the past 2 seasons. And he paid a awful price in the pocket. I have never seen someone take shots like he did. Plus Robert wanted to become a pocket passer. Lets not forget that he is the one that insisted on a change to a more classic NFL offense (unless Shanahan is lying). It's kind of ironic that that may be the reason he lost his job. In all honesty for me it comes down to team. It is refreshing that the news revolves around the team and not a single player now. And Griffin didnt do a lot to help himself in front of the media. He made a lot of statements that you dont want your starting QB making and was called out for it by the head coach. Like I said earlier in the thread, he made 2012 an incredibly special year for Redskins fans. And for that I am forever grateful.

It was mistake to give RG that $16 million pending bonus.  Otherwise, they might have been able to trade him for a mid to late round pick.   Cuz, they will end up having to let him walk for nothing.   

For that alone, they wanted him to be the starter.   But he frankly was not out performing Kirk.  

It made sense at the time. Because if he had become a franchise QB you had him on the cheap for next season. And the team had invested heavily on him at that point. But ultimately you are correct it was a mistake.

It made sense at the time. Because if he had become a franchise QB you had him on the cheap for next season. And the team had invested heavily on him at that point. But ultimately you are correct it was a mistake.

I agree with you 100%.  Hindsight is 20/20.  The Skins played by the numbers and lost.  It happens.

Also, Griffin only gets the money if he gets hurt and cannot play in 2016.  A sprained ankle isn't going to trigger anything.  So there is no doubt he will be on the field should the Skins need him.  Let's hope they don't, but I am happy to know he is there if they do.

I can guaruntee you there are quite a few of you who will be wishing Kirk the best should he head elsewhere in the future as well.  As the previous poster said, some guys come off like they are more Kirk fans than they are Redskins fans.  Although I think it has more to do with the fact that "they knew he was going to be good" and get their rocks off on being somewhat right about a player for once.

Going back to last year I wanted Cousins in, if his agent tries to hardball us and he's not a Redskin next year he will be dead to me.

kevinoleary11032014-c2346243.jpeg

Plus Robert wanted to become a pocket passer.

The problem with that is... RG3 as a pocket passer is not a first round pick.  Not in April 2012 and not any time since.  He's just a mediocre NFL QB.  Good arm, bad pocket presence. 

His value, such as it was (he was never worth close to what we paid), was based on his athleticism. Kyle used that in his offense to open up the running game for Alf, and to get receivers wide open for him to throw to. He wasn't not a great NFL QB, but he could still make throws, as we all saw.

Except then the NFL figured out the read-option, and RG3 got busted up, and we were left with a guy who was just a guy.

Going back to last year I wanted Cousins in, if his agent tries to hardball us and he's not a Redskin next year he will be dead to me.

We had full control of Kirk for four years. Not his fault we wasted three of them.

We have full control of him next year, if we use the franchise tag. 2017 too, if it came to that. IF Scott doesn't want to do that, that's not Kirk's fault.

Will we get a compensatory pick if we loose Robert, and if so how do they determine what round pick is given?

Never mind I googled it

This year, the compensatory picks will be positioned within the third through seventh rounds based on the value of the compensatory free agents lost. Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council.

So if we get anything we'll be lucky

I'm curious why a team would sign RG3 when Kaepernick will be available.  The two have essentially the same skill set, except that Kaepernick lacks RG3's injury history, knows how to slide, and avoids contact.  They both are awful without the read option threat.  Tyrod Taylor also has more upside at this point (due to lack of injury history), although the Bills will likely re-sign him.

I'm curious why a team would sign RG3 when Kaepernick will be available.  The two have essentially the same skill set, except that Kaepernick lacks RG3's injury history, knows how to slide, and avoids contact.  They both are awful without the read option threat.  Tyrod Taylor also has more upside at this point (due to lack of injury history), although the Bills will likely re-sign him.

RGIII is a way more accurate passer and better quarterback imo. RGIII can hit every throw. Griffin's big problem is he doesn't process the field well enough and lost all confidence in his protection, the play calling, and perhaps largely in himself. A change of scene and scheme may do wonders.

Kaepernick as a passer is nowhere near as talented.

He's not the first, nor will he be the last, player that the Redskins take a chance on and it fails. It happens all the time.

With that being said, Griffin is a good kid, just not taught properly the mechanics of professional football. When a good QB coach works with him, over a duration of time, not just a few weeks or a month, he will eventually get better. His style of football doesn't gel with NFL football, and his body can't take the abuse, so he has to learn the mechanics all over again, kinda like re-booting a computer, learn the ins-outs, footwork, reads, etc, and the pieces will fall into place for him fairly quickly I would imagine, because he's not a dumb kid.

Wherever he goes, I wouldn't expect to see much of him in 2016, but 2017 will be a whole different story. He's too talented for a team not to give him this chance, but staying here would be nothing short of a distraction, and we cannot afford that to happen.

It was mistake to give RG that $16 million pending bonus.  Otherwise, they might have been able to trade him for a mid to late round pick.   Cuz, they will end up having to let him walk for nothing.   

For that alone, they wanted him to be the starter.   But he frankly was not out performing Kirk.  

He does not get the $16m if they cut him and he is healthy.  I think, as someone mentioned earlier, the Robert Griffin 3 Project was still in effect when they had a to make a decision and, to me, it was the right decision at the time.  Just like starting Cousins was the right decision this season.

Archived