Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

11 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I remember 2000. Got stuck going to dinner party at my parents friends house and they were discussing voting for Bush, as they couldn't vote for Gore.  Yes, part of it was they felt Gore was more pro-Israel then Bush. 

I think by 2004 that changed completely.

It did by ‘04. 

Mom and and dad always voted with their wallets which means Reagan twice Bush Sr Clinton twice and then they voted W. After that it was all Dems

My first Dem vote was in ‘16 for Hillary. I probably won’t be voting R ever again. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

It did by ‘04. 

Mom and and dad always voted with their wallets which means Reagan twice Bush Sr Clinton twice and then they voted W. After that it was all Dems

My first Dem vote was in ‘16 for Hillary. I probably won’t be voting R ever again. 

My mom has always voted Democrat. I know my dad for Bush Jr in 2000.

I voted Papa Bush(88)- Clinton(96)- Bush Jr(00) and then Libertarian last 4 elections. 

Tens of thousands of foreign nationals living legally in the United States could soon lose government permission to earn a living while they are here.

The Trump administration could end a program as soon as February that allows the spouses of legal foreign workers, mainly tech workers from India and China, to obtain their own work visas.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-h1b-visa-spouses-20180201-story.html

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

It did by ‘04. 

People like to forget that Reagan was pro-immigration. He came.out strongly in favor of allowing the "boat people" from Vietnam to settle here, and a path to citizenship for illegals who had been here for over a decade - not just "dreamers" who had been brought as children by their parents.

David Duke was an unknown in 1980, but when he endorsed Reagan, Reagan issued a repudiation of everything Duke stood for.

After Tiannamen Square, Republicans were pushing GHB to automatically grant asylum to all Chinese national students in the US, and were disappointed when he chose instead to simply not enforce their departure after their visas expired (the precedent for Obama's dreamer policy) because he didn't want to offend the Chinese government.

Pete Wilson and Pat Buchanan have completely ****ed up the GOP on this. And **** you Steve Bannon.

• Like 2

Way I see this the immigration deal must include DACA and  the "border wall" plus something.

Figure DACA is the line for Democrats and border wall plus something is the line from Trump and company.

What is up for negotiation is the DACA type of residency (who are DACA, is there citizenship pathway, time) and the plus something (chain migration - limit it, eliminate it etc. something else?).

ie  Dems could propose DACA with immediate citizenship for a broad swath of illegals with full border wall funding and very limited limitations on chain Migration

Reps could propose DACA with permanent legal residency (no citizenship) narrow swath (Those sighed up) - with full border wall funding and no chain migration at all.

That would be a starting point at least.  But if your starting point is no DACA or no Border wall plus, then don't bother. Any proposal that doesn't at least start with DACA and Border plus is a waste of time. (McCain's latest is an example - and that is coming from someone who likes McCain.)

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Way I see this the immigration deal must include DACA and  the "border wall" plus something.

Figure DACA is the line for Democrats and border wall plus something is the line from Trump and company.

What is up for negotiation is the DACA type of residency (who are DACA, is there citizenship pathway, time) and the plus something (chain migration - limit it, eliminate it etc. something else?).

ie  Dems could propose DACA with immediate citizenship for a broad swath of illegals with full border wall funding and very limited limitations on chain Migration

Reps could propose DACA with permanent legal residency (no citizenship) narrow swath (Those sighed up) - with full border wall funding and no chain migration at all.

That would be a starting point at least.  But if your starting point is no DACA or no Border wall plus, then don't bother. Any proposal that doesn't at least start with DACA and Border plus is a waste of time. (McCain's latest is an example - and that is coming from someone who likes McCain.)

More Americans support DACA than the wall.  That should tilt the favor for DACA.  And that's why the Dems are trying to force a clean vote on DACA.  DACA passes a clean vote in the Senate.  The wall does not.

The Dems would love to force a clean DACA bill to Trump and force him to veto it.

The problem for the Dems is most people don't support DACA at the expense of a government shut down.

48 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

More Americans support DACA than the wall.  That should tilt the favor for DACA.  And that's why the Dems are trying to force a clean vote on DACA.  DACA passes a clean vote in the Senate.  The wall does not.

The Dems would love to force a clean DACA bill to Trump and force him to veto it.

The problem for the Dems is most people don't support DACA at the expense of a government shut down.

I'm just pointing out the what the non negotiable positions are for both parties (as I see them).  A proposal that doesn't include these positions isn't going to pass and any attempt to do so is just wasting time.

Edited by nonniey