Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

For example, US officials could look at whether the applicant has enrolled a child in government preschool programs or received subsidies for utility bills or health insurance premiums.

Receiving such benefits could weigh against an applicant, even if they were for an immigrant's US citizen children, according to the document

This should be getting more play. These guys are on some evil villain ish. How you going to have someone choose between healthcare for their children/assistance for themselves or a green card in the future?

@nonniey Come defend your peoples.

Edited by Cooked Crack

56 minutes ago, twa said:

Isn't immigration already tied to being self sufficient in most cases?

Excluding humanitarian/refugee cases of course.

I think the draft policy would be a tinker in the sense that current policy would look at finances at the time of application and only use limited history of prior public assistance.  But I wouldn't consider this a drastic revamp of the financial ability test, more a tinker and if done the right way, probably a reasonable implementation of the statutory criteria in place.

The really stupid stuff are story like these

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/08/middleeast/deportee-us-intl/index.html

image.gif.c7f33ec2b416cd5e0434a4447d4abee3.gifIn the 1980s, Adi held a green card. But he lost his permanent resident status in the early 1990s, after moving to Brazil for three years with his wife. When he returned, Adi tried to apply for a new card, but was rejected.
Immigration officials accused him of having a sham marriage with his American ex-wife.
 His ex-wife had signed a statement alleging marriage fraud. According to Adi, his lawyer and multiple media interviews with Adi's ex-wife, she was coerced into making the statement after immigration officials showed up at her door.
In 2007, she signed an affidavit retracting her statement and denying the marriage was fraudulent.
Despite the affidavit, he was unable to gain legal status. In 2009, he was issued with a deportation order.                                                                                                    
Ohio Congressman Tim Ryan describes Adi as a "pillar" of their community, who creates jobs with his multiple businesses and distributes hundreds of turkeys to the poor on Thanksgiving.
For years, the House Democrat has been fighting for Adi to remain in America and it was his efforts that secured consecutive stays of the deportation order.
"If you would see the breadth of support that this gentleman has, from whether it's his Italian-Irish Catholic congressman or an African-American Pentecostal Republican woman who is supporting him or the working-class people I saw in his shop the day they thought he was going to get deported ... to show support for him," Ryan told CNN in an interview.

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I wonder how many buy this tripe he's  trying to sell? I can't imagine dreamers, their families, or relatives are being taken in.

Just his cult followers.

It's not just him. If it wasn't before, it's clear now; the GOP wants to get rid of all immigrants who aren't of White- European heritage.  It isn't just illegals, they want to go after immigrants also. If they could, they will find ways to deport all legal immigrants also.  Heck, naturalized U.S. citizens like me; they would find a way to take our citizenship and deport.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Just his cult followers.

It's not just him. If it wasn't before, it's clear now; the GOP wants to get rid of all immigrants who aren't of White- European heritage.  It isn't just illegals, they want to go after immigrants also. If they could, they will find ways to deport all legal immigrants also.  Heck, naturalized U.S. citizens like me; they would find a way to take our citizenship and deport.

I want to say you're wrong because that's not the America I believe in the America I grew up learning about, but it's tough given what the GOP keeps doing. What I'll try to argue is that it's a sizable and influential minority of the GOP that thinks that way. Unfortunately right now, that minority is holding the reins of power and the rest of them are holding their noses and going along with every act of evil their leaders push.

I can never tell if I'm speaking in hyperbole or underselling when I'm talking about political parties anymore, but I don't think the word "evil" and GOP policy is out of place.

8 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I want to say you're wrong because that's not the America I believe in the America I grew up learning about, but it's tough given what the GOP keeps doing. What I'll try to argue is that it's a sizable and influential minority of the GOP that thinks that way. Unfortunately right now, that minority is holding the reins of power and the rest of them are holding their noses and going along with every act of evil their leaders push.

I can never tell if I'm speaking in hyperbole or underselling when I'm talking about political parties anymore, but I don't think the word "evil" and GOP policy is out of place.

The GOP hard right has been wanting to limit immigration for years. Now, they have their opportunity.

All those immigrants that voted for Trump, they are thinking; he's just going after the illegals.  No, that want you also.  In enrages Trump they are Chinese or Indian engineers.  Many of the high tech start ups are by foreign born immigrants.  Trump and or portion of the GOP wants them gone.  The other portion of the GOP, is just going along with it.

I know I responded with an extreme example but I have no doubt that's where many in the GOP; including Donald Trump would like to head.

I've been in the U.S. since I was 7-8 months old around, April/May 1968 and been a citizen since I was 9, in 1977.  I'm American, as one can be.  I have no doubt that one day, Trump and many in his GOP will try to take my citizenship and kick me out of the country.  That maybe an extreme expectation but I know what's in the heart of many of the GOP.  Everything they do and say and talk about wanting to do; you can't draw any other conclusion.

It make take another decade, but eventually the GOP will lose their control forever and majority will never vote them ever!  They might not vote Democrat; but they definitely won't vote GOP.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

February 20.  On this day 110 years ago, President Theodore Roosevelt signed into law The Immigration Act of 1907, which barred "idiots, imbeciles, feebleminded persons, epileptics, and insane persons" from entering the United States.

I refuse to make a joke about how Donald Trump's family managed to skirt these restrictions.

• Haha 1

Man removes feds’ spy cam, they demand it back, he refuses and sues

Last November, a 74-year-old rancher and attorney was walking around his ranch just south of Encinal, Texas, when he happened upon a small portable camera strapped approximately eight feet high onto a mesquite tree near his son's home. The camera was encased in green plastic and had a transmitting antenna.
Not knowing what it was or how it got there, Ricardo Palacios removed it.

Soon after, Palacios received phone calls from Customs and Border Protection officials and the Texas Rangers. Each agency claimed the camera as its own and demanded that it be returned. Palacios refused, and they threatened him with arrest.

Palacios, who had run-ins with local CBP agents going back several years, took the camera as the last straw. He was tired of agents routinely trespassing on his land, and, even after complaining several times, he was frustrated that his grievances were not being heard.

As a possible way to ward off the threat of arrest, he sued the two agencies, along with a named CPB agent, Mario Martinez. Palacios accused them of trespass and of violating his constitutional rights.

"My client is 74 years old, he's a lawyer, been practicing for almost 50 years, he has no criminal history whatsoever, law-abiding citizen, respected lawyer and senior citizen," Raul Casso, one of the attorneys representing Palacios, told Ars. "To have put him in jail would have been—forget the indecency of it—what a way to end a career."

The camera now remains in Palacios' attorneys' possession while they are attempting to ask the case's judge to allow them to formally introduce it as evidence.

This federal lawsuit has raised thorny questions about the limits of the government's power to conduct surveillance—in the name of border security—on private property, without the landowner's permission.

Palacios' ranch is situated at the 35-mile marker due north from Laredo, along Interstate 35, just three miles south of the small town of Encinal. The nearest US-Mexico border crossing is at Laredo.

The precise distance between the border and Palacios' ranch matters: under federal law, agents can go onto private property that is within 25 miles of the border "for the purpose of patrolling the border to prevent the illegal entry of aliens into the United States."

In other words, if Palacios' ranch were within that range, he likely wouldn't have a case.

This is related to, but distinct from, the 100-mile radius that the CBP claims it can operate in and warrantlessly stop people and search bags, cars, electronic devices, and more. This is commonly referred to as the "border exception" to the Fourth Amendment, which protects against warrantless searches and seizures. 

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 2