Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

15 hours ago, Zguy28 said:

Not American news, but rather from Sweden.

What’s the takeaway from this article? Don’t get me wrong, any rape is an absolutely horrendous crime. I just don’t see how this should move my position on immigration.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

Border patrol agents asking people if they are US citizens is NOT against the US Constitution. 

Constitutional rights are different at the border (watered down).

Plus, asking a question is not against the Constitution anytime, anywhere. A cop can walk up to you in a McDonalds in Rockville MD and ask if you are a US citizen. I dont think you have to answer (you might have to produce ID if a cop asks for it, not sure on that ). Detaining someone, when a reasonable person would not feel like they are free to leave, based solely on the fact the cop thinks the person is an illegal without objective, reasonable and articuable suspicion of a crime afoot is against the Constitutional rights .. of a US citizen. 

I dont get the point of the caravan. You cant just show up to the US border and expect or demand to be let in.  

edit - ive crossed that exact border maybe 20-30 times. Lots of long lines for ppl with day work visas. I recommend "renting" a bike that allows you to use an express lane of sorts. 

Edited by Why am I Mr. Pink?

8 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Border patrol agents asking people if they are US citizens is NOT against the US Constitution. 

Constitutional rights are different at the border (watered down).

Plus, asking a question is not against the Constitution anytime, anywhere. A cop can walk up to you in a McDonalds in Rockville MD and ask if you are a US citizen.

Cops walking around a mcdonalds around here and asking people if they're citizens would be unlikely to go over very well.

Edited by visionary

8 hours ago, visionary said:

Cops walking around a mcdonalds around here and asking people if they're citizens would be unlikely to go over very well.

I understand and agree with that. But a pet peeve of mine is when people wrongly claim something is against or protected by the Constitution. 

Like the guy supposedly kicked from a NYC bar bc of a maga hat. Republicans were screaming it violates his 1st A rights .. even though there was no state action. That did bring up a good micro point in comparison to the gay wedding cake battle. Sexual identity is protected and cant be used to discriminate by stores open to the public ... but political beliefs are not protected and can be used to deny service. (Plus the guy apparently paid a $150+ tab and tipped $30+ seems to contradict his claim anyway)

pet peeve + internet = bad way to spend your day

• Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2018/05/11/what-is-wrong-with-these-people/?utm_term=.0e4191eb63d1

What is wrong with these people?

Within the last 24 hours: Fox Business guest Ret. Air Force Lt. Gen. Thomas McInerney (a birther and notorious crackpot) declares, “The fact is, is John McCain, [torture] worked on John. That’s why they call him ‘Songbird John'”; White House aide Kelly Sadler says aloud at a White House meeting that McCain’s opposition to CIA nominee Gina Haspel doesn’t matter because he is “dying anyway”; and White House chief of staff John F. Kelly, who has not fired Sadler, unleashes a bigoted, ignorant rant against immigrants.

Kelly had this exchange on NPR:

On the administration’s recently announced “zero tolerance” policy that calls for separating families who cross the border illegally and prosecuting them:

Let me step back and tell you that the vast majority of the people that move illegally into United States are not bad people. They’re not criminals. They’re not MS-13. … But they’re also not people that would easily assimilate into the United States, into our modern society. They’re overwhelmingly rural people. In the countries they come from, fourth-, fifth-, sixth-grade educations are kind of the norm. They don’t speak English; obviously that’s a big thing. … They don’t integrate well; they don’t have skills. They’re not bad people. They’re coming here for a reason. And I sympathize with the reason. But the laws are the laws. … The big point is they elected to come illegally into the United States, and this is a technique that no one hopes will be used extensively or for very long.

Actually, current immigrants assimilate just as well as immigrant in past generations, according to a slew of data-rich studies.* Most undocumented immigrants in the United States are not poor, uneducated people coming over the border. (Pew Research explains that as the number of unauthorized immigrants from Mexico declined, illegal immigration from other places, including Asia, increased.)

Immigrants who are here illegally are more likely to work (hence, they must have some job skills) than other groups.

Back in the mid-’90s, the employment rate among native-born American men, legal and illegal immigrants was roughly equal. In the ensuing years, though, there’s been a falloff in the employment rate of native-born men, and an increase in employment by illegal immigrants. In a labor force snapshot from 2012-2013, [Harvard economist George] Borjas found that about 87% of male illegal immigrants worked, compared to 74% of American men. Even after controlling for the fact that this immigrant population was likely to be made up of younger men, he still found a 10-percentage-point difference between the two groups.

In short, Kelly is dead wrong. The chief of staff chooses either to lie or not to inform himself about basic facts relevant to hugely consequential policies he champions. He aptly reflect the prejudices of his boss and the thinking behind the cruel policies (such as ending protection for “dreamers” and separating families) that he and Trump doggedly pursue.

Kelly, like Sadler, was not speaking out of school. One could imagine President Trump saying very similar things in private or even in public. Kelly’s boss, who does not want black and brown people from “****hole” countries, would no doubt applaud Kelly’s comments. Trump has yet to apologize for ridiculing McCain’s status as a POW during the campaign. Fox News’s business model is built on promoting crackpot ideas and airing hateful rhetoric that feed the anger and resentment of its base. That means tearing down genuine heroes who challenge the Great Leader Trump. They are utterly comfortable voicing obnoxious slurs, revealing a stunning lack of human decency. They are superstars in the right-wing ecosystem, not in spite of their crass, bigoted views, but because of them.

The ensuing firestorm did force the Fox host interviewing McInerney to apologize and Fox to say it wouldn’t have McInerney back on. He might be excused for thinking his rhetoric, of a piece with so much of what airs on Fox, was entirely acceptable. Indeed, why invite on a birther if not to say outrageous things?

*PB notes that this study was conducted by the Cato Institute, a right-wing think tank here in DC that was formerly known as the Charles Koch Foundation.  

• Like 2

Hell, you don't even have to BE immigrants to get chased off the lawn anymore......

Woman Calls Police On Black Family For BBQing At A Lake In Oakland

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/woman-calls-police-oakland-barbecue_us_5af50125e4b00d7e4c18f741

On the bright side she has been getting pounded on the 'net

32399273_1779690785447253_21043836769544

32477568_1779495365466795_65217365256154

32384063_1779627618786903_56471573946024

But in the end it's the same attitudes from the same people just looking for targets

• Like 1