Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

2 hours ago, twa said:

Yes and whiners

I know right. People up here whining because some kids are being ripped away from their families, abused, and because we don’t have any idea where 1500 of them are. It’s not like they’re even white.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

44 minutes ago, tshile said:

So it sounds like they’re not missing and a bunch of people are angry because they can’t read. 

It sounds like they are missing (but probably not in the way many people assume) and you can't read. 

Just now, Larry said:

It sounds like they are missing (but probably not in the way many people assume) and you can't read. 

:rofl89:

I guess high school graduates are missing too!

sound the alarms!

the twitter America is great fun

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

They’re not missing. 

The government agency responsible for monitoring them just doesnt know where they are. 

If you read they’re not responsible for monitoring those. 

And according to that lawyer, if you think trump’s immigration policy is sinister, you don’t want them monitoring them. 

WP also clarified the situation:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/05/27/the-u-s-lost-track-of-1500-immigrant-children-last-year-heres-why-people-are-outraged-now/

I get why people are upset even if everything wasn’t clear initially. And really this clarification does not do much to change the inhumanity of the situation playing out. We know for a fact that unaccompanied minors at the border are not always placed in safe environments and have been released into the hands of human traffickers. And we know that even kids who are showing up with families and being separated are now being labeled as “unaccompanied”.

I’m glad we can find it in our hearts to be snarky about this mess. Real, upstanding society we are. 

For months, stories have abounded of families separated by immigration authorities at the border: Three children were separated from their mother as they fled a gang in El Salvador; a 7-year-old was taken from her Congolese mother who was seeking asylum; and so on, in reportedly hundreds of cases. In almost every case, the families have described heart-wrenching goodbyes and agonizing uncertainty about whether they would be reunited.

“Children and parents who are separated sometimes don’t have any way to communicate with each other for days, for weeks — I’ve seen months where a parent had no idea where their child was after the U.S. government took their child away.”

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

I’m glad we can find it in our hearts to be snarky about this mess. Real, upstanding society we are. 

Pointing out uninformed outrage is not being snarky. 

Laughing that they can’t read is not snarky. 

Criticizing a major media outlet for getting it wrong is not snarky. 

But it keep riding high on that horse. People don’t like hearing they fell for fake news

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

Pointing out uninformed outrage is not being snarky. 

Laughing that they can’t read is not snarky. 

Criticizing a major media outlet for getting it wrong is not snarky. 

But it keep riding high on that horse. People don’t like hearing they fell for fake news

I wish people had waited for all the information to come out. I am glad dedicated immigration lawyers were able to offer clarifications. My morning reaction was being glad this isn’t as bad as it seemed initially, but that it still pretty much sucks at every level.

This situation still remains abhorrent and a continued stain on this nations history of racism tearing families apart. 

More power to you for finding the humor in it I suppose. :cheers:

Edited by No Excuses

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

The humor is in you and others

not the immigration situation. 

Feel free to go back in the pages and see where I sensationalized the 1500 missing kids claim.

In fact, I did the work for you: zero posts. 

I even checked to see who else might have ran with that claim hysterically. 

One post really, and even that is fairly mild:

On 5/25/2018 at 12:41 PM, Llevron said:

How the **** you misplace 1500 kids? 

Talk about manufacturing outrage about "manufactured outrage". Take your own advice and read more.

Edited by No Excuses

I read quite a bit. That’s how I knew that headline and article didn’t really sound right. 

You can’t just suspend your critical thinking because the idea fits your desired narrative. That makes you like a trump supporter :rofl89:

34 minutes ago, tshile said:

I read quite a bit. That’s how I knew that headline and article didn’t really sound right. 

You can’t just suspend your critical thinking because the idea fits your desired narrative. That makes you like a trump supporter :rofl89:

I have no narrative because I (along with really anyone in here) didn't really run with the 1500 kids are missing narrative. In fact, like I quoted, there is like one post (two if you count the trolling between twa and SnS).

Again, reading is your friend. You wanted to complain about manufactured outrage, when none existed. But you really, really wanted it to exist for whatever reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Would me admitting I just read the tweet make anyone feel better? 

I still haven't read it, to be honest. I have the ability to admit I may have been duped though. And that's a large first step. 

EDIT: Oh, and uninformed? Yea, obviously. But no where does that qualify as outrage lol

Edited by Llevron

Can we all agree our government shouldn't be separating families to begin with if they make it to the US together?  That 1500 number weren't taken from their parents, but we are totally doing that, and I don't see anything funny about that at all.

If you haven't already, stop talking and read the article @No Excuses posted.

“Just last week we saw a 53-week-old infant in court without a parent,” St. John told Hayes. “What we’re seeing now is that, because the government is separating the children from the parents, the government is actually rendering these children as unaccompanied minors and bringing them to the shelters.”

• Sad 1