Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

Why can't they just deport him for, you know, being in the country illegally?  

Yeah, I agree that the Dreamers ought to be granted legal status. But isn't it true that, right now, they aren't?  

4 hours ago, Larry said:

Yeah, I agree that the Dreamers ought to be granted legal status. But isn't it true that, right now, they aren't?  

It depends.  DACA has not been abolished, it is in the process of being phased out.  DACA renewals are good for 2 years so, depending on the timing of his renewal, he could be in the country 100% legally.  

5 hours ago, Larry said:

There's DACA and immigration judges also have broad discretion to stay any deportation.

5 hours ago, Larry said:

Limbo isn't a legal status?

This fear-mongering and complicity by all involved is absolutely disgusting.   

**** them, each and every one of these assholes, for trying to make it seem as if all immigrants are gang members.  

Edited by visionary

23 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I’m not saying this separating thing is right but at this point, shouldn’t people at the border be expecting that?  And they choose to come anyways?  Doesn’t seem like a good decision on their part.

Would you mind explaining why that should that be expected? Is it because it's a natural next step of detainment? And also, isn't there a difference of process between trusting that a country will treat those children with kindness and empathy, versus a country that loses kids and treats them as a burden barely worth affording human decency towards?

Are you considering the emotional upheaval a person is dealing with that is bad enough to make a person want to leave their home country and risk coming here illegally? I'm not asking this as a call for sympathy, but to highlight that those kind of pressures don't really give them many options that would be termed a "good decision".

Like the guy in the very beginning of that Houston article posted earlier.

Esteban Pastor hoped U.S. Border Patrol agents would free him and his 18-month-old son after they were arrested for crossing the southern border illegally last summer.

He had mortgaged his land in Guatemala to fund his sick toddler’s hospital stay, and needed to work in the United States to pay off the loan.

Instead agents imprisoned the 28-year-old in July for coming back into the country after having been deported, a felony. They placed the toddler in a federal shelter, though where, Pastor didn’t know. Three months later, in October, the father was deported — alone. His child, he said agents told him, was “somewhere in Texas.”

“I cried. I begged,” he said. “No one could tell me anything.”

3 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Would you mind explaining why that should that be expected?

Only because it has been in the news for a while that we were planning on and now are doing this.  That is all.  Not trying to make any kind of grand statement.  And I said I dont agree with them doing this.

17 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Only because it has been in the news for a while that we were planning on and now are doing this.  That is all.  Not trying to make any kind of grand statement.  And I said I dont agree with them doing this.

Ah ok, cool, I knew from your post you weren't advocating for it. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding where you were coming from on that point :)

• Like 1