Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

You really can't without stopping illegal immigration. But my question is - if there is a legit path to citizenship why would you want to? Make them citizians and add to our countries wealth. 

(Extremly simplistic view, I know sorry)

That's kind of the whole point, stop illegal immigration. The laws in place are good. We just need to enforce them. Better work site enforcement and punish employers along with quick deportation. You have to mandate E-verify. That's how you put a stop to it. 

Good piece from one of my fellow Southern Baptists. I didn't know there wasn't any realistic path to citizenship at all for Dreamers.

http://sbcvoices.com/why-dont-dreamers-just-get-legal/

Why Don’t “Dreamers” Just Get Legal?

January 17, 2018 by Alan Cross 53 Comments

“Why Don’t Dreamers Just Get Legal?”

I hear this question a lot. It often comes from those opposed to legislation benefitting young Immigrant Dreamers who were brought here illegally as children. The insinuation (sometimes blatantly), is that if the Dreamers are too careless, lazy, and unconcerned to apply for legal status and citizenship after all this time, then why should we help them now? The question really doesn’t make sense, but I’ve seen many use it as a “gotcha” type question, as though no one ever thought, “Hmmm, why don’t I just go to the Post Office and apply for legal residency status?”

Rest at link.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Thing is we already have walls in the places they are an efficient means of securing the border. 

Where would you even begin to make this assumption?  The walls/fencing we have in place now have tons of gaps, openings, disrepair, etc.

Note, I'm not necessarily in favor of this proposed wall, but what makes you think the one that exists now is efficient?

20 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Where would you even begin to make this assumption?  The walls/fencing we have in place now have tons of gaps, openings, disrepair, etc.

Note, I'm not necessarily in favor of this proposed wall, but what makes you think the one that exists now is efficient?

There are walls and fences at at all populated border crossing areas. Outside of those locations (in the middle of the desert), there aren’t walls or fences because it’s more efficient to secure that area with patrol activities than dropping $25B on a wall. 

@sacase

How to prevent more dreamers in the future?
1) No matter how tight the immigration laws are, there will always be some segment of dreamers.

2) Comprehensive Immigration Reform -- yes, this will include mandatory e-verify and employer crackdown or some type of legal immigration program.  These programs draw the same ire from the right however, because there will have to be more to compromise on with employer crackdown, e-verify.  As in the dreamer parents, the "living in the shadows" who have been here 20 years without status. 

20 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

There are walls and fences at at all populated border crossing areas. Outside of those locations (in the middle of the desert), there aren’t walls or fences because it’s more efficient to secure that area with patrol activities than dropping $25B on a wall. 

Yes, they exist, but my issue was you claiming they are efficient, which they are not.  You've qualified that by now saying they are "more efficient," combined with patrol activities, than dropping $25B on a wall.  I won't argue with that, as I'd prefer to see that money go towards additional hiring and higher pay for the agents who are in the middle of all of this.  For the record however:

b01_jd_07aug_border-1-640x440.jpg

This is residential, you can walk right around if no agents are nearby.

Would you prefer some combo of post-and-rail and what appears to be WW2 beachhead protection?

BryonStromNormandyBarrier.JPG

Does Tijuana count as residential?  Because that's what is in the background of this photo.

FT_08.24.15_borderFence.jpg

You can argue whether you think something new is needed, or whether you think $25B needs to be spent on it.  But the current structures are severely lacking.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018 at 11:16 AM, Zguy28 said:

Good piece from one of my fellow Southern Baptists. I didn't know there wasn't any realistic path to citizenship at all for Dreamers.

http://sbcvoices.com/why-dont-dreamers-just-get-legal/

Rest at link.

That is the thing most immigrants opponents seem not to understand. There is no line for dreamers to stand in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckydevil said:

That is the thing most immigrants opponents seem not to understand. There is no line for dreamers to stand in. 

I know there are people who don't understand the issue and they really need to educate themselves. While I understand that it is anecdotal, all of my conservative friends have no issue with dreamers, however, there has to be something done to prevent future dreamers. I get that there will always be some degree of dreamers, but we need a 90% solution now. We can work on the last 10% later. 

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Conversation between DACA opponents and a recipient. Interesting watch. Not too surprising.

All that did was make me angry. The lack of compassion is the root cause of many of the problems we face today. Whether it’s DACA, the environment, health care, and on and on. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

having been through the process with my wife who came here legally, I don't feel sorry for them. My wife and I waited a year to get her visa to come here. We paid all the fees and went to all the Dr. Appointments, did everything right. They need to go back to their home country and apply through the embassy the correct way, not jump the line over people doing it right. I don't feel any sympathy for them. Sorry you got turned away for jumping the line and you put your chance to get legal status on hold. Your own fault. 

26 minutes ago, sacase said:

having been through the process with my wife who came here legally, I don't feel sorry for them. My wife and I waited a year to get her visa to come here. We paid all the fees and went to all the Dr. Appointments, did everything right. They need to go back to their home country and apply through the embassy the correct way, not jump the line over people doing it right. I don't feel any sympathy for them. Sorry you got turned away for jumping the line and you put your chance to get legal status on hold. Your own fault. 

Whoa, we've got a tough guy over here. This loser needs to go back to his country and wait 10 years to get his life back. His wife and kid will just have to do without.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sacase said:

Do you need to wait a year for a fiance visa?  Someone I know got it within a few weeks from what I recall.

immigration is a slavery construct. Screw needing permission to go anywhere I want. There is no terrorist threat with illegals. Thats all made up to make you fear.

If i want to move to France I have to sign a bunch of crap and tell the country I was born in? why? why is it your efing business?

govt,get off my lawn

5 hours ago, thinwhiteduke said:

immigration is a slavery construct. Screw needing permission to go anywhere I want. There is no terrorist threat with illegals. Thats all made up to make you fear.

If i want to move to France I have to sign a bunch of crap and tell the country I was born in? why? why is it your efing business?

govt,get off my lawn

Huh?