Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

13 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Sabotaging border security to own the libs

With a wall some reduction is in order don't you think?

Though I do agree with the article that tracking,identifying and removing those here by other means will need addressed.

1 hour ago, twa said:

With a wall some reduction is in order don't you think?

The wall is quite possibly the biggest waste of money if the goal is to secure the border.

It's a vanity project, and it will be a total self own if it comes at the cost of real border security.

39 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The wall is quite possibly the biggest waste of money if the goal is to secure the border.

It's a vanity project, and it will be a total self own if it comes at the cost of real border security.

I would be fine with a virtual wall and better interior enforcement. :)

I like wading in the water

9 hours ago, twa said:

He just wants to hear the Dems argue those things are needed :ols:

He doesn't know what he wants. His cerebral cortex is badly damaged from all those pills he snorted before somebody explained that you're supposed to crush them up first. He's got several Adderall permanently lodged up there.

6 hours ago, twa said:

I would be fine with a virtual wall and better interior enforcement. :)

I like wading in the water

I've already explained this to the world. You start fining the **** out of anyone who hires illegal aliens. That's it. End of story.

That is assuming anyone actually wanted to "solve" the "problem" though which they obviously don't or they would have already been doing this. I know you guys think I'm a genius but somebody out there probably already thought of this.... maybe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I've already explained this to the world. You start fining the **** out of anyone who hires illegal aliens. That's it. End of story.

Thats what tends to happen, when the Dems are in charge. They tend to focus on punishing the employers. 

But, that involves punishing corporations, and the people who own them. 

10 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I don't believe fining companies is all that effective.  If the US wants to get serious about ending the employment of illegal aliens they have to hold individuals accountable.  1 week in jail, a mandatory minimum, for the individual(s) responsible for hiring them and any manager/executive that was aware of it or aware that their company was not checking the legal status of all new hires.  Doesn't have to be back breaking amount of jail time or a crippling fine, but i think a week in jail for individuals will absolutely change hiring practices more than potential fines for the company.  

But like many things, this would only be a good idea if it were a part of a much larger plan for comprehensive immigration reform.  A broken system created the current situation, and a big picture attempt to change many of the moving parts is required to fix it without creating a tragedy along the way.

16 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

He doesn't know what he wants. His cerebral cortex is badly damaged from all those pills he snorted before somebody explained that you're supposed to crush them up first. He's got several Adderall permanently lodged up there.

That is assuming anyone actually wanted to "solve" the "problem" though which they obviously don't or they would have already been doing this. I know you guys think I'm a genius but somebody out there probably already thought of this.... maybe.

Nobody wants to solve it. As long as we are soft on illegals working here, we can complain more about lack of jobs when the other party is in the WH and the WH can complain that the other party in Congress for the same thing.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 9:37 AM, Destino said:

I don't believe fining companies is all that effective.  If the US wants to get serious about ending the employment of illegal aliens they have to hold individuals accountable.  1 week in jail, a mandatory minimum, for the individual(s) responsible for hiring them and any manager/executive that was aware of it or aware that their company was not checking the legal status of all new hires.  Doesn't have to be back breaking amount of jail time or a crippling fine, but i think a week in jail for individuals will absolutely change hiring practices more than potential fines for the company.  

It's sort of like the situation with sex workers. It'll stop when people start going to jail for it. I won't be satisfied unless they do their time in genpop at a real prison. One week is too short though. I'd think a month for first time offenders with increasing time for repeats would fix it. We wouldn't need a wall then.

On 1/9/2018 at 4:13 PM, No Excuses said:

They could use way more efficient technology if they wanted to, its almost like he's making this personal with Mexico to feed his base.  So much of what he does is to appease the people that put him in power, even if he knows he's outlandish.

On 1/9/2018 at 4:13 PM, No Excuses said:

The discussion of the wall makes little sense to me, but not because it's a useless idea.  The problem is that this debate isn't really about a wall.  I think the issue is that congress doesn't want to commit to the idea of securing the border.  Perhaps to Trump a wall matters, he did promise it to the crazies after all.  We've seen republican control before, and have it now, but they've never really decided to finally do it. 

If both houses of congress were certain that this is something they wanted to do, they'd approach it like any other massive security related project.  First they'd announce this new wondrous thing they're doing that will keep us all safe and swimming in freedom.  Then fight to get federal dollar spent in their states/districts.  Eventually the thing would cost a hell of a lot more than what was initially reported, but something would most likely get done.  It's not a perfect system, certainly not an efficient one, but its one that has largely kept the nation secure and our military powerful. 

Congress, for whatever reason, simply does not want to secure the southern border so we're arguing over a wall.  Again.  Maybe congress is hoping no one remembers the 2006 Secure Fence Act.  The one they passed, celebrated, and then quietly killed the following year.  

As for the general idea of Trump's great wall, a single enormous continuous wall makes no sense.  I like to think everyone agrees on that by now, but I'm sure some people are still holding out hope.  People are strange that way.  Erecting a barrier of some kind however, might be useful in spots or even long stretches.  Letting the experts decide which security measures are the most useful would probably be the best way to go about it.  

Just now, Destino said:

"If you want to come here, know that your family can never join you." - Party of Family Values

Not quite true,  just because you come here doesn't mean your whole family can.

The notion If your parents bring you here illegally as a child(or as a a refugee) you are then entitled to bring your whole family seems off somehow.....but here we are.

Perhaps if we eliminate more tax exemptions for the blue states it will work.:)