Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

BREAKING: The Trump administration said Monday it needs more time to determine the fate of some 57,000 Hondurans living in the United States with provisional residency status, but it will end the program for a smaller group of immigrants from Nicaragua, giving them 14 months to leave the country.]

An announcement expected Monday from the Department of Homeland Security will determine the fate of some 57,000 Hondurans and 2,500 Nicaraguans who have been living in the United States under a form of provisional residency known as Temporary Protected Status (TPS).

Another 200,000 Salvadorans and 50,000 Haitians also anxiously await the decision, as DHS must decide in coming weeks what to do with TPS recipients from those countries whose legal residency will expire early next year.

We all come from immigrant families, on one side they arrived in the early 1700s and on the other in late 1800s. Both originally from different parts of Switzerland, oddly enough. 

We need to make the path to citizenship for those who come illegally dependent upon how they came to be here. If children, let's not penalize them for their parent's decisions, and keep the DACA requirements in place and give them the opportunity to become citizens as soon as they become of legal age. 

For adults, thorough background checks and other proof that they are living non-criminal lives and contributing to society should be requirements. 

A bunch of years ago, there was a procurement for a system to identify those coming into the country through bio markers like iris detection and so on. It was called VISTA through the DHS. I don't know whatever happened with that program. It would have helped identify people coming in over and over using different names etc.

2 hours ago, visionary said:

"But, we didn't want to get rid of the actual immigrants who we actually see and know.  We want to get rid of the imaginary immigrants who we're certain make up all of the immigrants except for the ones we actually know.  (Or the ones who we don't even know are immigrants, because they don't match with the immigrants who we imagine.)"    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, visionary said:

In the sense that it's not from a different country, yes...but not in terms of changing demographics and such.  

migration changes local demographics and such.

the difference between is nationality

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 9:38 PM, sacase said:

Besides its not like people from all over the world have the "right" to come here. My wife is from Dominican Republic and her sisters and brothers cannot come visit her because they are too poor and pose a high fraud risk. My wife and I have ZERO problems with that because those are the rules. No one gives a crap about Haitians or African's but oh no, Muslims from terrorist countries cannot come here? Fire up the pitch forks! Hell, we even told the Haitians yeah we are not going to kick you out since your earthquake happened, but you will be getting kicked out eventually. I find it funny how people will champion Latinos or Muslims, but Africans and people of African decent and SOL.