Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

To clarify since it appears I might have been unclear earlier, my comment was that I disliked people referring to people as "illegals". I understand the need for some to call them illegal immigrants, even if I personally think it's a loaded racist dogwhistle term that conservatives favor. But at least the current administration does not use that term.

Fwiw part 2, AP stylebook stopped using illegal immigrant in 2013. 

https://www.apstylebook.com/blog_posts/1

Edited by The Evil Genius

32 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

These semantics arguments are dumb.  We have bigger issues to figure out than what to call them.

Personally,  I think using loaded terms to dehumanize people (and some would argue to keep America white), is more than just semantics. 

And fwiw I think most people are smart enough to do both (use less offensive terminology and deal with an influx of immigration). 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

And for the record:

"Undocumented immigrants are individuals who have either illegally entered the United States without inspection, or legally entered the United States with valid nonimmigrant visas but those visas have expired."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/undocumented_immigrant

then I think you answered your own question. 

it encompasses more than what “illegal” does within the context of the conversation. 

undocumented can be used if the context is to include people who entered legally, but overstayed etc. 

10 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

To clarify since it appears I might have been unclear earlier, my comment was that I disliked people referring to people as "illegals". I understand the need for some to call them illegal immigrants, even if I personally think it's a loaded racist dogwhistle term that conservatives favor. But at least the current administration does not use that term.

Fwiw part 2, AP stylebook stopped using illegal immigrant in 2013. 

https://www.apstylebook.com/blog_posts/1

Back to what I said earlier - this would hold water if you and basically everyone else didn’t also participate in using labels as shorthand to refer to other groups.

The reason why your complaint is bull**** is because you don’t live up to the standards you’re demanding others live up to. You’re just pushing this idea in this one conversation because you happen to want to virtue signal what you’re about on the one particular topic. 

and of course because, to you, making an effort to not call them illegals is this signal that you actually care about them, anyone who does call them illegals is a racist that hates immigrants; whether they actually are that or not. 

and you further out yourself with the keep America white thing - your signaling goes beyond whether someone entered illegally or not, beyond whether they are an immigrant or not, and goes all the way to what their skin color is. It’s pathetic.

Edited by tshile
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

So Ron couldn't find migrants in Florida and went to Texas to get them.

"Florida Man brags about Federal Crime He Didn't Commit"...

Because it make no sense him saying this stopped them from getting to Florida, which would imply they were never in Florida (at least the ones sent to Martha's Vineyard).

Edited by Renegade7

You know when this issue gets hot... 

when the GOP can't win on the econony..

when they can't win on abortion... 

It's a non-issue.  Folks on the right have been arguing we are in danger with pourous borders.  Elevate every time an immigrant commits a henious crime.  Yet they don't want to come to the bargaining table. 

Dems have a similar problem, but is it really a national security threat anymore?  MS13 everywhere!!!

16 minutes ago, Tundra scout said:

Hypocrisy is through the roof with this one. Biden himself flew immigrants to towns at night but that’s okay. The double standards with this administration is insane 

You're saying the Biden administration rounded up people, lied to them about employment and housing and dumped them, unbenounced to the destination city, with no pre-arranged social, logistical or language services with no notice to the community? 

You wanna cite a source to this? 

• Thanks 2