Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Reddit: Was the 1990 Skins vs. Patriots the lowest point in their history

Alaskins

So, not sure about the quoting rules for Reddit fan pages, but per a post, the Dec 15, 1990 game between our beloved Skins and the "deflators" may have been the low point in their recent history:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Patriots/comments/3rjbk8/410pm_december_15_1990_the_lowest_moment_in/

...I can tell you with absolute confidence that over 50% of the crowd was made up of Redskins fans. Most of the people around us had driven up from the Washington area just to see the game as they could clinch a playoff spot with a victory.

At any rate, the Patriots took the opening kickoff. On their third play from scrimmage quarterback Tom Hodson muffed the hand off which was recovered by the Redskins and run in for a touchdown, 7-0. After the kickoff the Patriots went three-and-out.

It was the subsequent 4th down punt that to me was the the lowest moment in their history.

At 4:10PM or thereabouts, the snap went sailing over punter Brian Hansen's head and right out of the end zone. Safety. It was now 9-0 and the Redskins had not even had the ball on offense yet. What crowd that was there were cheering wildly for the Redskins.

Oh how the times have changed.  Do any of you have Pats v Skins memories worth mentioning?

I remember a home game where they were "worldbeaters" and we almost won one...

Nothing comes to mind from our golden age...

2003 - The first quarter of Spurrier's second season ended on a high note as we beat NE at home to climb to 3-1. It was an oddly well-played game in what would be NE's second of three Super Bowls from 2001-2004.

2011 - Our Grossman-led squad hung around all day and even took the lead on a Banks TD pass on a trick play. We ultimately lost by 7 but followed this good showing with a dominating win up in NY against the Giants. So in the span of a week we played with the two conference champs despite being a 5-win team.

I think we also beat their Super Bowl team in 1996. I don't remember much about that game but remember we lost on opening day to Philly and then ran off 7 consecutive wins before losing a bunch down the stretch.

That entire game can be found on YouTube FYI. Kurt Gouveia ran the fumble back for a TD. This was back when there were two games late in the year on Saturday afternoon. This was one of the games that day. It was horrendous weather in Foxboro... Heavy rains all game on the old school AstroTurf. They were 1-12 entering the game. After the 9-0 start things slowed down, pretty boring affair. If memory serves we won 25-10, but I might be off there. We clinched a playoff spot that day. And yes, that Pats team was just horrid.

My other strong Redskins-Pats memory was 1996, also in Foxboro. This was our best win during our 7 game win streak that year (Pats wound up in SB) and one of the better wins in the entire Norv era. This was before I expected us to always mess things up under Norv. That win streak seemed like it was the turning point at the time. So that win was a real high point of the past 25 years for me. Want to say we won 27-23, something like that. Remember Darrell Green chasing down Curtis Martin on a long run to save a TD. We held on late.

My only other memory with the Pats would be 2003.... And then only because of the footnote. We beat them that day and that wound up being their last loss before their crazy win streak.

Hate to nitpick, but 25 years ago is not recent history.

the only thing i remember from the Redskins / Patriots matchups over the years is the beating they gave us in 07.

running up the score, going for it on 4th and goal from the 1 with about a minute left while up by 45 points.

Bellichick rubbed Gibbs' nose in it that day, hard, and for no reason.

And that is all i will remember until it is avenged.

(But i do recall that rainy night in Foxboro, and how their turf had SO much water on it that it looked like a mirror.)

~Bang

Oh, I remember that game; I've made reference to it a few times in past posts awhile back.

It was a strange, almost spooky looking game, I remember the announcers saying something to the effect of the Redskins being up 2 scores and Rypien not even been on the field yet. The game looked like it was in black & white because of the deluge of rain and wind, the field looked like a wet tennis court.

Outside of that I don't have much memory on past Pats/skins games but I do remember a lot of people poking fun at Steve Grogan's 2 foot-long neck.

The five years between 1989-93 the Pats totalled 19 wins.  I don't think the recent Skins have even been THAT bad.

This mini "Skins-Pats" memories thread made me curious about the 1987 season. Due to the lockout/strike/whatever, the week 3 games were basically wiped off the books.  Does anyone recall who we were supposed to play that week?  We played the AFC East that year and did play the Bills, Jets, and Dolphina, which makes me think the opponent that week would've either been the Colts or Pats.

The five years between 1989-93 the Pats totalled 19 wins.  I don't think the recent Skins have even been THAT bad.

This mini "Skins-Pats" memories thread made me curious about the 1987 season. Due to the lockout/strike/whatever, the week 3 games were basically wiped off the books.  Does anyone recall who we were supposed to play that week?  We played the AFC East that year and did play the Bills, Jets, and Dolphina, which makes me think the opponent that week would've either been the Colts or Pats.

Definitely the Pats. I have a couple of mementos from that season and clearly remember seeing in the teams' results list that was the scheduled matchup.

Goes to show you that there is no "Patriot Way" and the only reason they are where they're at is Bill and Brady.

They were garbage in the 70s, early 80s and early 90s. They had no fans outside of the diehards. Sullivan Stadium was always half empty. That's where they will be once again when B & B are gone.

Goes to show you that there is no "Patriot Way" and the only reason they are where they're at is Bill and Brady.

They were garbage in the 70s, early 80s and early 90s. They had no fans outside of the diehards. Sullivan Stadium was always half empty. That's where they will be once again when B & B are gone.

So much of their success is hitting the jackpot w/ Brady.   BB is an outstanding coach and has been for many years, going back to his days w/ the Giants. However, he's been lucky to have a truly great QB all these years. We all saw that BB isn't as good a coach when he had Vinny Testaverde and Eric Zeir.

So much of their success is hitting the jackpot w/ Brady.   BB is an outstanding coach and has been for many years, going back to his days w/ the Giants. However, he's been lucky to have a truly great QB all these years. We all saw that BB isn't as good a coach when he had Vinny Testaverde and Eric Zeir.

I don't think Belichick is given enough credit for what he did in Cleveland in the early-90s. He took a very old team that was never able to beat out the Broncos and was part of their rebuild. They were a 3-win team before he took over. They then won 6, 7, and 7 games (at a time when both the Oilers and Steelers were pretty strong) and established a new identity prior to going 11-5 in 1994. Then, in 1995 they started 3-1, nearly beat the Bills (lost by 3), and then bottomed out under the weight and distractions of leaving Cleveland. 

He turned that franchise around and was a victim of timing more than anything else. 

They also had different ownership back then. It was basically a Redskins like clown show.

I remember all of the above mentioned games against the Pats well, but the '07 game at NE is the one that sticks with me. I brought my son who was 8 at the time to that game and on the drive from where we live in Albany NY to the game I convinced him that it was going to be a great game and that I thought that the Skins would win it. Well, when it got to be 31-0 he looked at me with tears rolling down his face and said "Thanks a lot Dad, you told me the Redskins were going to win". My credibility with him has never been the same since that day, but the kid is now 16 and his love for the Skins hasn't wavered a bit. 

My first live game

1981 - RFK - Joe Gibbs' first season

Skins were 1-6

Off and On rain

End zone seats - but it was a great view to watch Mike Nelms shed the first tackler and return a punt for a TD

Back and forth game with plenty of mistakes

Skins won 24-22 as Patriots missed field goal in the end.

I LOVED IT!  A great memory.

The Rook :)

Bellichick rubbed Gibbs' nose in it that day, hard, and for no reason.

~Bang

Oh there were reasons. Being a coach with a HOF QB he has heard all the talk of Gibbs being the only coach to win 3 Super Bowls without a HOF QB. He wanted to stomp Gibbs to settle his place in the HOF coaching hierarchy.

Also it was payback for the only other time they met.

On a crisp fall day in October of 1991 the Skins took the field at RFK as a 14 pt favorite against the Cleveland Browns and their rookie head coach, Bill Belichick. The result? A 42-17 stomping as the Skins moved to 7-0.  

Archived