Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Are parents ruining youth sports? Fewer kids play amid pressure.

SkinsHokieFan

The article fails to go deep enough into the examination.

Travel Sports, specifically baseball and softball, have now gotten to the point that they act as a pseudo recreation league as well as what would be considered an "elite" program.

My son is 14 and plays on 2 different "Travel" teams.  One that plays only locally organized tournaments and consists of mostly friends of his that have all been playing together for years.  They have fun, win some, lose some and get good coaching.  The other is the type that this article (and a million others like it) complain about.  Paid coaches, expensive fees, extensive travel and an entirely different experience.  He knew 1 other kid on the team when he tried out for it.

There are advantages in the first type of Travel Ball that the article ignores.  1st, the cost involved is far less than what a local recreation league charges when you look at a per practice/game point of view.  2nd, you get to choose your coach and your kids experience.  Local leagues still exist for the kid who wants to pick daisies and get sno cones after the game, but for a kid who wants to compete, travel provides that experience.  And for those kids (or I guess more appropriately the parents of kids) who think they have a chance to play past high school, there is nothing wrong with having elite travel teams and tournaments for those athletes.

Instead of surveying the entire group of kids, why not survey the ones playing on the top travel teams and ask them if they still want to be there.  What they will find will surprise them.  Because while I know there is a percentage of kids who hate being there and hate dad because he's pushing him, the overwhelming majority will say they are having the time of their lives.  It's expensive.  So what?  The other survey I never see posted, but the "results" always spouted is one asking the parents what THEY think the ultimate end game is for their kid.  I know how many kids get D1 scholarships.  It's next to zero.  I don't think my kid will sniff one.  But that doesn't mean I need to burst HIS dream bubble.   Because every D1 school has less than 12 scholarships.  300 D1 baseball schools= 3600 scholarships.   However, they can carry 35 kids per school.  So that's 10,000+ kids PLAYING D1 baseball.   Add to that 250 D2 schools that are allowed 40 kids.= 10,000.  Then D3 schools (appx 400) that are allowed 40 kids=16000.  And that's just what would be considered "varsity".  Also have to add in JUCO and Community Colleges etc and that adds another 20k.  There are about 55 THOUSAND kids playing college baseball.  My point is if you ask those parents, they arent doing this because they think that their kid is the 1 in 20 teenager that will get a scholarship.  That's a myth. 

• 4 months later...

This is very true friends. I am glad to read this great post. I am also a mother of twins and would like to know about some good Phoenix preschool academies for them. Actually I have started making the list quite earlier so that I don’t get any difficulties later.

Well you've come to the right place. I'm not going to be much help but here are a few members who know a lot about preschools in the Phoenix area. Either wait for them to chime in, or in case they don't see this you might want to try sending them each a personal message.

TWA

Dr. Do Itch Big

PokerPacker

Springfield

Those four should be able to tell you everything you need to know.

I get that and nothing against it, but it's a lot of standing around for little kids that naturally want to be running around and want to be engaged. I've been to my friends' kids tball games and it takes a whole phalanx of adults to facilitate it.

I'd suggest to modify it somehow... break it into the component parts (hitting, fielding, throwing to a target, base running) into a more active pre-baseball game.

For example, I'm just spit balling. Have all the skills separate and make it into some kind of objective-based game.

1. They try to hit a baseball off a tee and then run the bases freely.

2. In a separate group kids take turns fielding balls served by parents then throwing it at a target

3. Another group, playing some catch-based game maybe kinda like rugby—they can develop their movement skills and hand eye coordination.

No problem with anything you said.

As it is now where I live, a bunch of kids play t ball but as the time commitment becomes more in order to improve, kids drop out at each level going up.

Also, travel ball has become Rec league. Little league baseball has not evolved and more and more people are leaving or have already left. Little league is almost dead in my area. Travel ball used to be for elite players. Now it's for any player that has money. The competition and general skills taught are usually much better than little league, but, it's still parents coaching so it depends on the coaching ability level of the parents involved. Usually, it's not great.

Showcase baseball is a 100% scam. As a part time scout (I've been a part time scout for the Dodgers, cardinals and Nats since 1992) I can tell you that scouts know who the good players are. There is no need to "showcase" them. These teams are put together to make money. Many of the showcase tournaments only have volunteer assistant coaches watching. Bottom line, parents are preyed upon. Parents are told it's an opportunity to showcase their kids to scouts and college coaches. The reality is that it's a numbers game. If your kid can't run a 7.0 60 yard dash or better, they are not going to get much attention unless they are a pitcher, catcher or home run hitter. LHP need to throw 86 plus. RHP 88 plus. Add 2 mph to each for professional consideration.

Showcase baseball is a 100% scam. As a part time scout (I've been a part time scout for the Dodgers, cardinals and Nats since 1992) I can tell you that scouts know who the good players are. There is no need to "showcase" them. These teams are put together to make money. Many of the showcase tournaments only have volunteer assistant coaches watching. Bottom line, parents are preyed upon. Parents are told it's an opportunity to showcase their kids to scouts and college coaches. The reality is that it's a numbers game. If your kid can't run a 7.0 60 yard dash or better, they are not going to get much attention unless they are a pitcher, catcher or home run hitter. LHP need to throw 86 plus. RHP 88 plus. Add 2 mph to each for professional consideration.

So friggin true.  The earlier quote about Travel parents expections being low is simply not true.  They are pie in the sky.  I have played baseball at a high enough level to spot top level talent, and frankly I haven't seen much, but 90% of the parents are thinking D1.  

Interesting about showcase tournaments. we have the same for soccer—I think it helps in my sport because college coaches don't have a budget to go on recruiting trips, the showcase puts a bunch of teams in one place for them to scout. My club just had a kid signed by an MLS team—he was scouted because the team's scout was there to scout another player. 

But it's true, parents paranoia and aspirations are routinely preyed upon in other ways. 

Well you've come to the right place. I'm not going to be much help but here are a few members who know a lot about preschools in the Phoenix area. Either wait for them to chime in, or in case they don't see this you might want to try sending them each a personal message.

TWA

Dr. Do Itch Big

PokerPacker

Springfield

Those four should be able to tell you everything you need to know.

Thanks. Always here to help.

Interesting about showcase tournaments. we have the same for soccer—I think it helps in my sport because college coaches don't have a budget to go on recruiting trips, the showcase puts a bunch of teams in one place for them to scout. My club just had a kid signed by an MLS team—he was scouted because the team's scout was there to scout another player. 

But it's true, parents paranoia and aspirations are routinely preyed upon in other ways. 

Its not helpful for baseball at all.  Again, baseball has scouts all over the place, word travels fast. If a player is good, people find out quick.  Most of the time, the college coaches are not even at these showcase tournaments.  In college baseball, most of the coaches work "circuits" of college camps. The best advice I'd give to any kid is to pick a few schools that are realistic for you to attend and go to the camps. There will be a variety of coaches there and yes, they are there to supplement their income, but they are also keeping their eye out for talent.

The problem ultimately is that parents do not know how to truly judge talent and they are unrealistic in their expectations. Every parent thinks their kid is a D1 baseball player. They have no idea how small a percentage that truly is.  When you try to tell them or reason with them, they don't care, they look for someone else to take their money.

I literally have 2 kids who's parents bug me non  stop for pitching lessons. I hate taking their money because their kids are not going to be the stars they are hoping for.  I've helped them get better, but its not enough to get them to where they want.  

The best advice I'd give to any kid is to pick a few schools that are realistic for you to attend and go to the camps. There will be a variety of coaches there and yes, they are there to supplement their income, but they are also keeping their eye out for talent.

I don't think that's changed in the 20 years since it impacted me. It was basketball and it was the D3 level, but the most interest I got was from Randolph Macon because my high school went as a team to that camp each summer. It was one of 2-3 small schools I could have played at after high school. 

I get that and nothing against it, but it's a lot of standing around for little kids that naturally want to be running around and want to be engaged. I've been to my friends' kids tball games and it takes a whole phalanx of adults to facilitate it.

I'd suggest to modify it somehow... break it into the component parts (hitting, fielding, throwing to a target, base running) into a more active pre-baseball game. 

That's what T-Ball practice is.  The games are just for show, so that the kids understand how the game is actually supposed to sort of be played. 

That's what T-Ball practice is.  The games are just for show, so that the kids understand how the game is actually supposed to sort of be played. 

I agree - the practices are best when you have 4-5 coaches each instructing 2-3 players at a time. But if these kids are going to play baseball, they are going to have to learn that most of it is standing around and being prepared in your head (if the ball is hit to me I throw to second, if the ball is hit to SS I cover second, if the ball is hit over my head I'm the cutoff man, etc.). 

Parents more often than not suck.

I'll say. i haven't played youth sports in years and years, and every time i get up enough courage to try again, it's always the parents who ruin it.

"You're too old...  you're too big..  don't tackle so hard..  get off the field before we call the cops"..  it's enough to make me never want to try again.

~Dang

The practice before mine this week at the indoor turf facility was small, kids were attending other things. So the coach was just scrimmaging. Dad comes down and plays, he's in khakis and loafers. He slips hard and he's down and he limps off. I see him off sitting grimacing grabbing his knee. 

Dumbass. totally his fault. HOpefully he doesn't sue the coach for "allowing" him to play. 

I played only baseball after soccer up to age 7. Spring and fall... just the regular little league until high school.

We have put my son (now 10.5) through TKD, he has done soccer, baseball, basketball, flag football and now soccer again. He says he likes soccer, but I don't see any passion other than he plays to have fun... I would like to see him care about his development and practice and most of all his hustle... so it is hard for me when I see him playing lazy.

But he doesnt get down if he messes up and always has a blast on his team, even if he doesnt have a "soccer mind", I have no idea what he thinks.

One of his friends is doing elite soccer for 3 years now - all their extra money and time goes into it.

I played T-ball one season. We were the only all boy team in the league. Lost every game. Our coach refused to have his picture taken with us after losing to a team that was 50% girls in the season finale. We were 5.

Not so much that you were so bad, but you were ugly children.

Who wants to have their picture taken with unphotogenic brats?

This is very true friends. I am glad to read this great post. I am also a mother of twins and would like to know about some good Phoenix preschool academies for them. Actually I have started making the list quite earlier so that I don’t get any difficulties later.

All Saints Episcopal Day School in Phoenix is paying spammers to post on message boards to boost their search engine ranking? What a fine institution that must be.

I played only baseball after soccer up to age 7. Spring and fall... just the regular little league until high school.

We have put my son (now 10.5) through TKD, he has done soccer, baseball, basketball, flag football and now soccer again. He says he likes soccer, but I don't see any passion other than he plays to have fun... I would like to see him care about his development and practice and most of all his hustle... so it is hard for me when I see him playing lazy.

But he doesnt get down if he messes up and always has a blast on his team, even if he doesnt have a "soccer mind", I have no idea what he thinks.

One of his friends is doing elite soccer for 3 years now - all their extra money and time goes into it.

One approach is to think of soccer in this regard, or whichever sport he enjoys, like say video games. It's an escape and no adult really tells them how to do it. They learn from their peers or experience mostly.

I have some older siblings that had kids and those kids were pushed in sports to the point that they were pushed into colleges based on sports (D1 scholar colleges) and not things like academics and long term non-sport interests.

Realistically, it hasn't worked out for any of them.  They realistically probably didn't have the talent to make it to the next level, but they also (independent of their parents) didn't have the drive/intensity.

I suspect if they could make the decisions again, especially the where go to college, more than one of them would pick another route.

The other thing I'd add based on personal experience, it isn't just talent and drive.  High level athletes (even in big college programs) put their bodies through a lot of work.  I'm convinced having a body that can take the necessary work and recover so that you can perform at a high level on the field/court is as much of a necessity as having the talent.

I suspect there are people out there that have the talent, but their bodies just can't take the pounding.  I played basketball, and I didn't have the talent to play at a super high level, but I also don't think my body would have been able to take the work.

There is nothing wrong with having a kid that treats sports as a fun thing to do and as a way to hang out with their friends with a little bit of interest in the competition, like video games, and if somewhere along the line the attitude changes, then you (the parent) can adjust your attitude.

Archived