Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RW: Jordan Reed Injury: Updated( Concussion/MCL Sprain and Ankle )

Darrel2828

Reed is a great receiving TE, very fluid, great hands. He's great in the YAC department, always manages to squeak out the 1st down. He'd be a killer RZ target on a team that could throw a fade consistently and got more RZ looks.

But he's not special. He's very good, though. But this is an opportunity for someone else to step up.

Are people already forgetting that Paul put up very good numbers as a Reed replacement, to the point where he won the job? And he's basically just a thick WR with eh hands who has a knack for making the big play but dropping the easy ball. He's not remotely special and we were prepared to give him a huge number of snaps (and I assume that Reed would have worked from the slot a lot).

My point is, we've taken an athletic guy with potential and replaced Reed's production before, even if Reed has been great so far this year. We've already done it.

Carrier could be this guy, the new Paul. We all practically worship McCloughan and he actually traded a future 5th for this guy. A guy with monster measurables and who has shown a knack for making crazy catches in the past--49ers fans all thought he had the best hands at TE on the roster when we traded for him. He went to a small school, was a jumbo WR, and needed time to develop. Our GM went out of his way to trade a mid-round draft pick, which he values very highly, for him. And he's been learning the system and playing a pretty high number of snaps without getting targeted much.

We might already have a solution on the roster, fellas.

^ You may be overestimating Carrier's talent, but I like it.

Gotta remember he played football at Beloit College, a DIII school.  He hasn't shown much thus far in his NFL career.

Not saying dude can't play, just that I'm not sure we are going to get 6 catches for 96 yards and a TD.

Imo a healthy Jordan Reed is arguably the most dangerous TE in redskins history. Not that that's saying much. But he's a very special talent with all pro potential (not just pro bowl). The routes he runs are insane. Did anybody listen to the Cooley breakdown of the rams game? Jordan reed is scaring off defenders just by turning his head - he looks at one side of the field, and the defender thinks he's looking for space to make his cut. So the defender shades over to prepare for the cut. Then Jordan makes a sharp cut in the opposite direction and creates 3-4 yards of open space. Insane.

Look, I love Niles Paul. But he is a marginal talent at te, especially in terms of the most important aspect of the position, which is catching the ball. His routes are not crisp like reed's. He doesn't catch with his hands out front like reed. He's not as quick as reed (he's faster though). Niles was making positive plays for us last year, but imo they were plays that average nfl tight ends make. He wasn't a walking mismatch like reed is.

This is a huge blow and I feel bad for reed. Outstanding player, and I wish him all the best whatever decision he makes. I would resign him in a heartbeat assuming it's on a deal that reasonably accounts for his injury history.

I liked Carrier before the trade...the depth scares me, & Reed has always been good at creating separation with his route running.

Also...hopefully Reed can shake this off. Watched the hit a few times...dude is just unfortunate. Not really a random happenstance, just a hard football play that would have done the same to many people.

I also like Hamm....fwiw. but he's very raw, & missed blocking assignments a lot in preseason. I have faith in SM's decision making so standing pat is just as good as any decision imho. I just ponder hypothetic about the possibilities....are there any? If so...what are the costs? There's practically nothing else to talk about without focusing too much on the short season thus far.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/6/25/5843732/redskins-te-jordan-reed-making-the-leap

Since they started tracking this Stat in 2008, Reed's 2013 debut season was the 2nd highest yards per route run of any rookie tight end, beating gronk and 2nd only to Jimmy Graham. And he's only gotten better since then, imo. That's the class of pass catcher this guy is. Big time loss.

Maybe the 49ers might be interested in Riley and a low pick, for freeing up cap space for next season? .

First off, that does involve us trading a draft pick. More importantly, it doesn't make any sense for San Francisco to do and seems mainly based on your misreading of the salary cap implications, because that deal doesn't save them anything next year.

This is the problem. The idea of such a trade would almost beyond any doubt involve draft picks or young talent coming from us, and that's a really bad idea. And that's what everyone said. Is there another scenario for such a deal? I can't think of one. He didn't even try. You failed in your attempt. No one else has come up with one. And yet, you, he and a couple of others have practically called the board a den of evil because none of us could construct a hypothetical for him that made his bad idea make sense.

If only we could put Cooley's mind/durability into Reed's body. That'd be a HOF TE.

Not necessarily. Cooley's career ended prematurely (28? 29?) in part because he didn't take care of his body as a younger player, he's on record with that. Bad diet, not enough work in the weight room, etc. Otherwise he might still be on a Witten-like pace with us. So for all we know Reed would have been worse off with Cooley's early career work ethic and mindset.

Since we're talking post-Reed now, its time to remember we have Darrell Young on the roster.

Gruden seems to forget that unless he needs a totally obvious short-yardage call, then he sends him onto the field.

But really though, I'm curious what the snap %'s say about his usage of Young. Seems he's hardly on the field and yet we want to be a smash mouth team.

Tell you what.  If we are competitive without Reed and DJ against the Falcons (I am not saying win the game, just competitive) I really think this team is going places.  I mean look at our injuries overall not many teams can withstand these types of injuries.

I think we will be competitive against most teams. We have improved along both the offensive and defensive lines - if you can win or at least hold you own up front against anyone on both sides of the ball you can stay competitive. Now to win against good teams you need your skill players to produce and you need DBs (and a pass rush) to stop their skill players producing - thats probably going to be an issue with all the injuries we have at receiver and DB.

Our best bet on defense might be to have a very agressive gameplan - because its a big ask to think we can just drop back and cover Julio if we allow Matt Ryan time.

I think we will be competitive against most teams. We have improved along both the offensive and defensive lines - if you can win or at least hold you own up front against anyone on both sides of the ball you can stay competitive. Now to win against good teams you need your skill players to produce and you need DBs (and a pass rush) to stop their skill players producing - thats probably going to be an issue with all the injuries we have at receiver and DB.

Our best bet on defense might be to have a very agressive gameplan - because its a big ask to think we can just drop back and cover Julio if we allow Matt Ryan time.

The good news is, and the thing that is actually giving me hope we have a decent chance, is that their Oline is totally exploitable. They have some significant issues there and our front can capitalize.

If we stop Freeman from having another big game and keep Ryan in 3rd and longs, we might actually have an advantage over them, because I think we can run against their D.

Interesting matchup for me. I might be crazy, but I think we match up really well with them, especially in the trenches.

Tell you what.  If we are competitive without Reed and DJ against the Falcons (I am not saying win the game, just competitive) I really think this team is going places.  I mean look at our injuries overall not many teams can withstand these types of injuries.

Well, I like where yours and Martin's and TSO's heads are at, but I still see a loss as very much most likely. IF we are competitive in that loss, I will actually feel a bit bolstered. I "need" at minimum an actual entire season to pass with at the end of it there being numerous and solid good signs (while expecting a definitely less than .500 record).

I am on board with the direction for now, inc. @ HC, his staff, and QB. That doesn't mean anything like it's all rosy to me (durr) and it's really far from it, of course. I just see enough positives and realistic potential and prefer it from where we were in '13 & '14 given the alternatives in most cases---Kotwica being a huge question mark---but then I acknowledge that the talent on the field was slim there, too. 

I hope Reed can stay healthy.  I really hate it for the guy, he's had some tough times.  Such a talent.

As for the game plan on defense, I think I go the opposite route than those hoping for a more aggressive plan.  I like our front four against theirs and I'd like to help on Julio if we can.  I'm looking for a monster game out of Baker, Knighton, and Hatcher.  Get pressure with those guys with an occasional TRobinson/CB blitz off the edge.  

The biggest reason I think we lose is because even in games our defense mostly dominated, they were unable to stop the big plays that got the opposing team back into the game.  The Rams and Eagles offenses didn't do much for the majority of the games against us, but those long TD completions make me think that the same thing is eventually going to happen during the Atlanta game.

Archived