Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

9 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Btw how ****ing stupid do you need to be to try to rob a gun store of all places. Jesus.

OT:  

Remember decades ago, when living in NoVa, a radio report about somebody who decided to rob a bar in Woodbridge.  (This was when Woodbridge was just one step above the back woods.  Assume it's all metro, now days.)  

Robber decided to rob the bar around 1PM.  Walked in with a shotgun, demanded money from the bartender.  

Robber was disappointed that there wasn't much money.  Demanded more money.  Bartender pointed out that this was a bar.  His business comes at night.  He just opened.  

Robber insisted that there had to be money hidden, somewhere.  Demanded more money.  

Robber, in an attempt to encourage the bartender to produce the hidden money that he just knew had to be there, discharged his shotgun into the ceiling of the bar.  

At which time, several customers of the bar observed that the robber was armed with a single-shot shotgun, . . . 

And well, the robber is under arrest, in stable condition, at the hospital.  

• Like 2

Almost a mass shooting....good guy with a gun kills 2 wounds one.

http://theseattletribune.com/ex-army-sniper-takes-out-neighbors-home-intruder-from-bedroom-window/

What Elmore saw through the high-powered scope on his riffle was – his neighbors, Fredrick and Lydia Cole tied to chairs in their upstairs family-room. The couple’s 2-children Douglas (11-years-old) and Daniel (6-years-old) were sitting near their mother – also tied to kitchen-style chairs.

According to Elmore, the mother and children had what looked to be duct-tape around their mouths and 3 masked-intruders appeared to be focusing primarily on Fredrick Cole. The 3 masked-intruders were holding handguns and were acting in a very violent manner – often destroying the Cole’s property or striking Fredrick Cole in the face with their pistols.

Things seemed to be escalating quickly at the Cole residence and Elmore used his bedroom telephone to call 911. After notifying authorities, Elmore continued to monitor the situation across the street. According to Elmore, while waiting for the police to arrive things continue to escalate rapidly at the Cole residence and he was greatly concerned for the family’s safety. Elmore told reporters that his military training and instinct kicked in and he knew that he had to do something to intervene.

2 hours ago, twa said:

Almost a mass shooting....good guy with a gun kills 2 wounds one.

http://theseattletribune.com/ex-army-sniper-takes-out-neighbors-home-intruder-from-bedroom-window/

What Elmore saw through the high-powered scope on his riffle was – his neighbors, Fredrick and Lydia Cole tied to chairs in their upstairs family-room. The couple’s 2-children Douglas (11-years-old) and Daniel (6-years-old) were sitting near their mother – also tied to kitchen-style chairs.

According to Elmore, the mother and children had what looked to be duct-tape around their mouths and 3 masked-intruders appeared to be focusing primarily on Fredrick Cole. The 3 masked-intruders were holding handguns and were acting in a very violent manner – often destroying the Cole’s property or striking Fredrick Cole in the face with their pistols.

Things seemed to be escalating quickly at the Cole residence and Elmore used his bedroom telephone to call 911. After notifying authorities, Elmore continued to monitor the situation across the street. According to Elmore, while waiting for the police to arrive things continue to escalate rapidly at the Cole residence and he was greatly concerned for the family’s safety. Elmore told reporters that his military training and instinct kicked in and he knew that he had to do something to intervene.

If anyone read that story and thought it sounded like bull****, that's because it is. 

Any basic google search can verify that. That's ridiculously embarrassing twa. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

Surprised this hasn't been posted anywhere yet. Perhaps I missed it, nevertheless, this is truly awful. It's been Facebook's top news story most of the day. There is highly graphic live surveillance footage floating around on Facebook, saw a few snippets as I was scrolling through. Couldn't watch it all.

http://foxsanantonio.com/news/nation-world/mexico-youth-shoots-teacher-classmates-then-kills-himself-01-19-2017

MONTERREY, Mexico (AP) — A 15-year-old student opened fire with a gun at a private school in the northern Mexican city of Monterrey on Wednesday, hitting a teacher and two other students in the head before killing himself. Another student suffered lesser injuries in the shootings, which were captured on a chilling video posted to social media.

Nuevo Leon state Gov. Jaime Rodriguez said the shooter died at a hospital and that the other three victims with head wounds were "fighting between life and death." The boy wounded in the arm was out of danger.

A video, apparently from the school's surveillance camera, shows a female teacher handing out materials and students seated at their desks when a boy opens fire with a pistol from a sitting position, hitting a boy sitting in front of him, who immediately slumps to the ground.

He next shoots the teacher, who was looking in another direction, and she falls to the ground. The boy rises from his seat and walks around, firing shots at his classmates, before turning the gun on himself.

His first shot apparently misses his head, and then he runs out of bullets. The shooter runs to his backpack, apparently to reload, as his classmates cower at their desks. He appears to say something to the surviving students, who begin to rush for the door, and then he shoots himself in the head and falls to the ground.

The crowded classroom was left with a jumble of overturned chairs, blood and fallen students.

10 minutes ago, twa said:

Mexico has strict gun control don't they?

https://www.mexperience.com/mexicos-strict-gun-laws/

Ill tell you what not to do.

Dont go on a cross country road trip from Md to CA, let your buddy take over the wheel and then have you fall asleep only to be woken up to your buddy saying "dude wake up". Once your blurry eyes open and focus you realize its 2 am and your at some itty bitty lil border crossing police station in the middle of the desert and there is a german sheppard barking and half way through the driver side window. Your panic only heightens when you realize there is a half smoked bowl sitting in plain view.  

The officers ask what you were doing in Mexico, you tell them you never entered mexico ... they laugh (bc apparently you did).

You get taken into their tiny station and put in a tiny cell with a bucket for a toilet. Literally a **** stained bucket. Youve been detained in 5 different states and have never seen it this bad. 

As the police search your car they intermittently come in with things they are finding. one time they come into the station with your brand new glass pieces you just bought in alburquerkee. They next time they come in with a half pound of crappy middies you had and proceed to make fun of you for having dirt product. So far so good, they are trying to scare you but you can kinda tell it might be alright. Your buddy is really good at jokes and he is on point with it, you and the cops are bonding.

Then they come in, the mood instantly changes and say "well you boys ****ed up now. what were you doing in mexico? were you robbing people?" they go on to say how this is serious, they dont believe you, they think you were lying to them etc ... you have zero clue what they are talking about. Your heart drops. You are looking at time now. Maybe months. you looked up Arizona weed law a while go and you dont remember it being favorable. 

Then you see it. A bb gun with the orange tip painted black ..... it hits you. That was a bb gun you havent seen in years back when your little brother went camping and took it with him. You tell the officers you had no idea it was there ... blah blah blah blah .. they tell us we are ****ed now. You are looking at that **** stained bucket like its reality now .... some more friendly talk with the cops (same age as us) .. blah blah blah .. something something something .. white privilege ... and they let you go!!

You and your buddy go out to your car that was once packed to brim with you and your buddies stuff bc you were moving to CA. Now every single little object in your car is now on the ground, clothes everywhere. The cops say their supervisor is on his way back and if he sees this they will have to explain and charge us. 

Guns in mexico is a very very bad idea. 

42 minutes ago, twa said:

Mexico has strict gun control don't they?

https://www.mexperience.com/mexicos-strict-gun-laws/

Even with these strict gun control laws, and looking at the situation that unfolded, I can't think of one possible way that this could have been prevented, once the kid was already in the classroom. No teacher, student, or security guard could reasonably have reacted quickly enough to have changed what happened in that room.

The only possible way to have prevented this, would have been a heavy security checkpoint outside of the school. But at that point, what's to stop the same kid from simply opening fire in the crowded line and taking the same number of folks with him, or doing this in a grocery store instead.

I don't see a realistic solution for these problems. What can be done whether pro-gun or anti-gun to improve the situation?

1 hour ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

I don't see a realistic solution for these problems. What can be done whether pro-gun or anti-gun to improve the situation?

Maybe the realistic solution would be to have an age cap. You can't drive until you're 16, can't drink 'til your 21. Why can you purchase and operate a fire arm at any age?

That would be the first and simplest fix. Could Jimmy steal steal his Mom's gun from the unlocked drawer she keeps it in? Sure, but make it tougher. Why does a five year old need their own gun? Why does a 12 year old going through the hormones and craziness of puberty need a gun? 

I'm all for a gun licence and a "learner's permit" where you don't get to possess a gun until you've proven you know how to handle it safely and pass a battery of tests.

26 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Maybe the realistic solution would be to have an age cap. You can't drive until you're 16, can't drink 'til your 21. Why can you purchase and operate a fire arm at any age?

That would be the first and simplest fix. Could Jimmy steal steal his Mom's gun from the unlocked drawer she keeps it in? Sure, but make it tougher. Why does a five year old need their own gun? Why does a 12 year old going through the hormones and craziness of puberty need a gun? 

I'm all for a gun licence and a "learner's permit" where you don't get to possess a gun until you've proven you know how to handle it safely and pass a battery of tests.

You do realize you can't walk into a gun store at five years old and purchase a gun, don't you?

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I do know that they market guns for sale to five year olds.

They market guns for kids TO THEIR PARENTS. And last I checked, parents get to decide what after school activities a child is allowed to participate in. In VA, it is legal to let your kid d drive a vehicle on private property before 16 and without a license; allow a minor to consume alcohol inside the house; allow a minors to use tobacco on private property. Why not fire a gun?

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

We're playing with rhetoric which is my fault because I was a little dramatic, but  Federal law provides no minimum age for the possession of long guns or long gun ammunition. 

Federal law provides no minimum age for possession of tobacco. 

2 hours ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

examine what meds he was on and why?

But not much you can do in that case but improve people....including parents.

unless ya use pre-emptive strikes

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

In the words of some R congresscritter to Trump, I say to twa on this topic:  Dude, just stop.

(Love ya, but just stop.)

Can't stop, gotta save you people.

The kid was being treated for depression, which nowadays means meds....and SSRI's are being linked

or was it the pre-emptive bit?:)

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I see someone already said it but yea, a minor can't buy a gun.  Now they do make "kid guns" that parents can but so they can .........teach kids firearm safety and do things like hunt together ****gasps and clutches pearls****

I'm waiting to see how it plays out but one thing I'm really hoping that Trump does as he said he would is allowing military to have their personal firearm on base.  I'm not even so worried about being able to carry it but I'd like to at least be allowed to have it in my vehicle.  I really don't like that I have to go back home first if I want to go somewhere with my weapon after work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the house voted to roll back a rule that said if you have a mental disorder so severe you cannot work and need someone to handle your benefits, that it would show up in background checks when trying to buy a gun. 

How is that regulation a bad thing? I mean, should we not want some safeguards in place? Open to all answers because I generally have no problems with someone owning a gun, but isn't this kind of sensible?

• Like 1