Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

10 hours ago, tshile said:

I wonder how many lives would be saved if we regulated lbs on trigger pulls. For both sa and da. Can you make it hard enough to make it less easy for a 5 year old to shoot someone? 

Too easy to modify.  Amd as a trigger gets more worn in, it becomes easier.  So someone could not intentionally alter their trigger and after a few years, their gun would be illegal and they dont even know it.

• Thanks 1

DY-XSpDW4AAZDKr.jpg
AxiosVerified account @axios
Hogg: “After we come back from Spring Break, they’re requiring us all to have clear backpacks...it’s unnecessary. It’s embarrassing for a lot of the students.” #Axios360
Show this thread
158 replies955 retweets1,882 likes

Retweet

Direct message
  • Haha 1

Also want to state the obvious fact that the NRA isn’t working for gun owners. They are working for gun manufacturers. At this point, the NRA is little more than a marketing department. This whole idea that Democrats are going to come take all of your guns is  nothing but an advertising campaign.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 3

The millions and millions of gun owners constitute their own NRA. The lobby isn't needed to protect rights. As Sacks said, it's nothing but a marketing lobby tasked with selling as many guns for the manufacturers as can be.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

41 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Too easy to modify.  Amd as a trigger gets more worn in, it becomes easier.  So someone could not intentionally alter their trigger and after a few years, their gun would be illegal and they dont even know it.

I wonder if there’s in any value I’m not making it illegal to have, just illegal to produce.  So if it wears out your not in trouble or anything.  

Just wondering what the cross sections are here between accidental injuries and deaths and people who would intentionally modify it and when it wears out. 

Not interested in punishing people but wondering if a simple change would save lives without infringing rights.

13 minutes ago, tshile said:

I wonder if there’s in any value I’m not making it illegal to have, just illegal to produce.  So if it wears out your not in trouble or anything.  

Just wondering what the cross sections are here between accidental injuries and deaths and people who would intentionally modify it and when it wears out. 

Not interested in punishing people but wondering if a simple change would save lives without infringing rights.

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I would imagine the effects of requiring a heavier trigger would be negligible but Im just guessing.

Im definitely in favor of making it nigh impossible for a 6 year old to accidentally shoot a sibling.  You’d think that would be a perfectly acceptable position.

11 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Im definitely in favor of making it nigh impossible for a 6 year old to accidentally shoot a sibling.  You’d think that would be a perfectly acceptable position.

Im fine with that intention.  I was offering my "expert" opinion on that specific suggestion.  Ive been on record as requiring guns be secured in a safe or similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Theres also the issue of adults accidentally firing. They get scared or startled or nervous or whatever. They teach you not to put your finger on the trigger until you’re ready to shoot, the timing isn’t that long , but people are dumb and don’t listen 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Again WORTHLESS contribution to the conversation. You accuse me of hyperbole when you have posted not one single usable fact about anything. It is easy to mock factual statistics when they dont support your position. Just saying.

In a 205 page thread it would behoove you to spend some time reading what the active people have contributed before jumping in with shallow talking points then accusing others contributions as worthless. 

Your whole deal here was tried and addressed early and often. It is not our responsibility to address it yet again for you now that you’ve decided to join the conversation.

i don’t know anything about you, so it’s not meant as an attack on you. I will say again. , if you do some reading on the subject you will find there are plenty here willing to have all sorts of interesting comversations with you on it. 

Just leave the talking points at the door. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

@clskinsfan

in an earlier post you asked what groups I would suggest for you to consider over the nra. 

I was an nra supporter for a year. It got me cheap range rates at a top flight range. I got their mailers and I thought they were an insult to my intelligence. I watched them respond to an incredibly tragic scenario of school shootings (much less mass shootings in general) with a level of insincerity that I found appalling.  They will not ever get another cent from me. 

When I was interested in finding another organization the Virginia defense league was suggested to me. They seemed good at the time. They support our rights because they believe in our rights where as the nra tends to support our rights so manifacturers have a customer base. That was years ago, I have no idea how they are now. 

I decided I’ll support a group when they make it apparent to me and everyone else they support both our rights and reasonable ideas to help with the gun crisis. They day to day street issue, domestic issues, and mass shooting issues. I want them to be vocal enough they find me, not the other way around. 

I don’t know where you live. I do not have a specific organization for you to join. But I would recommend you find one that supports you and people like you, but not because that makes you customers to their true concerns (gun manufacturers. ) you can find them if you look, they do exist.  

Theres a a lot of room between the nra and the ban all guns crowd. Research and polls show most people are near the middle, falling on the nra side of middle. 

If you approach the conversation with that mindset you’ll find good people to talk to and share concerns with. 

If you approach it from the nra mentality of you’re either with the nra or you want to take everyone’s guns away, you will find a lot of people criticizing you.

finally, you posted a lot of posts since I first responded to you. I haven’t had time to read them all and respond. I just wanted to address this question for now.

• Like 2

20180324_150321.jpg

Naomi Wadler, 11-years-old

She said something that made me choke up a little: 

"If there's a book you really want to read, but don't believe anyone has written it yet, maybe you should write it yourself." 

That's deep, period, let alone for 11.  Pretty much only people who talked were kids, and for the most part their demands were clear and reasonable.  There was more then enough from inner city that lost siblings to kill the whole "coached what to say" nonsense

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 7

I know of one way to keep 6 year olds from accidently shooting a gun.. It's called being a responsible gun owner. Gotta keep it in a safe, even if it means it'll take you a few seconds longer to get to it, in case of an emergency.. Not a drawer, not a filing cabinet, not on the top shelf of a closet, A GUN SAFE.. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

I know of one way to keep 6 year olds from accidently shooting a gun.. It's called being a responsible gun owner. Gotta keep it in a safe, even if it means it'll take you a few seconds longer to get to it, in case of an emergency.. Not a drawer, not a filing cabinet, not on the top shelf of a closet, A GUN SAFE.. 

But a lot of people don't and aren't going to no matter how much sense it makes.  I do, for the record. 

Registration and insurance and a strong legal motivation combined with this financial motivation might help. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Also want to state the obvious fact that the NRA isn’t working for gun owners. They are working for gun manufacturers. At this point, the NRA is little more than a marketing department. This whole idea that Democrats are going to come take all of your guns is  nothing but an advertising campaign.

I had this very conversation with a friend at brunch today. I pointed out that someone isn't going to blast away at a deer with an AR-15.  That real hunters use a bolt action rifle or bow/arrows. And she then agreed. I said no one was going to take away guns, it's BS.

• Like 1