Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

I must live a sheltered life.  I've lived decades on this earth and, in all the places I've been and all the things I've experienced, I have NEVER been in a situation where things would have been better if only I had a gun.  

Oh, dude... EVERYTHING'S better with a gun!

A good steak... Board game night with the fam... Sex (even if it's just you and your gun)... Drinking... Arguing with the voices... ALL better when you have a nice warm, black, ****ed & loaded gun by your side.

46 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I'd say it's Corporate America that's too selfish, closeminded, and that practice short term thinking especially if these things diminish profits.

Very much so. 

And i think it’s bled into our culture too. 

11 minutes ago, visionary said:

;)

They were so far ahead of their time it’s unreal 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Just wondering if you are only reading the parts of my posts that you want to counter? I have stated all of these in previous ones.

I didn't go back and read all your previous posts. As far as what I counter, you replace facts with your opinion and when that happens I move on to something else. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting article about gun laws in Switzerland. Switzerland is my homeland, my great grandfather and great grandmother were born there, so this is interesting to me.

.http://www.businessinsider.com/switzerland-gun-laws-rates-of-gun-deaths-2018-2#swiss-laws-are-designed-to-prevent-anyone-whos-violent-or-incompetent-from-owning-a-gun-8

Edited by LadySkinsFan

Geoffrey Miller Retweeted Robby Soave

2014: 'Hands up, don't shoot'

2018: 'Only the police can be trusted with guns'

Geoffrey Miller added,

Robby SoaveVerified account @robbysoave
"Guns are for the police and the government." Welcome to the youth revolution #MarchForOurLivesmarchforourlives.png https://reason.com/blog/2018/03/24/march-for-our-lives-guns-schools-safety 
91 replies1,419 retweets3,006 likes

Retweet

Direct message
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, twa said:

Geoffrey Miller added,

"Guns are for the police and the government." Welcome to the youth revolution #MarchForOurLivesmarchforourlives.png https://reason.com/blog/2018/03/24/march-for-our-lives-guns-schools-safety 

Retweet

Direct message

Both follow the premise that it's the police's job to protect and not harm citizens. Isn't that a reasonable expectation? What does one have to do with the other?

That and pretending that one guy on twitter saying only the police should have guns is an accurate representation of gun control advocates at large is not helping.

edit: It wasn’t even a guy on Twitter. It was a 13 year-old at the rally (supposedly).

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 2

I read this morning about the Parkland girl saying Rubio values their lives as $1.05.  I thought oh, nice Team America reference.  Then realized they calculated it based off his NRA money and remembered they're all too young to probably remember or know about Team America.  Just interesting they landed on a buck o'five. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, twa said:

Geoffrey Miller added,

Retweet

Direct message

I think it is reasonable to think that police should be armed, but should also not shoot innocent people.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

I think it is reasonable to think that police should be armed, but should also not shoot innocent people.  

I think it reasonable the populace should be armed as well and not shoot innocent people.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, twa said:

Geoffrey Miller added,

Retweet

Direct message

Not that your intention is ever to make a valid point, but I don't think there is a single BLM activist who thinks it would be better for black people to be armed in their encounters with police.

It would be fantastic if the assumption in America wasn't that every person is armed at all times. I've never touched a gun in my life, but if I reach to scratch my leg in a traffic stop, a cop is likely to think that I'm reaching for a piece. (Probably not because I'm white and supposed to drive a nice car, but you know what I'm saying).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drowland said:

I read this morning about the Parkland girl saying Rubio values their lives as $1.05.  I thought oh, nice Team America reference.  Then realized they calculated it based off his NRA money and remembered they're all too young to probably remember or know about Team America.  Just interesting they landed on a buck o'five. 

I continue to be in awe of these kids. This is not entirely because of them, because a lot of stuff was in the works before Parkland, but I'm going to be a delegate at the Texas State Democratic Convention in June. A not insignificant part of me became embarrassed that 80 percent of my political contribution over the past year has been getting high school classmates to block me on Facebook. It's time to get much more involved.

As for the Parkland kids, I read a fascinating tweet this weekend. Not only are they a generation that grew up with school shootings as an expectation and with social media as the center of their lives, they also grew up in a world where Harry Potter was an established part of the common culture. So, the idea that school kids could and should take on a corrupt establishment and ineffectual government with whatever limited tools they had at their disposal is probably the one piece of common culture that bonds them.

Not everyone can be Luke Skywalker. And most people can't be Han Solo. But literally everyone can be Ron Weasley or Nevile Longbottom.. 

17 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Of course a semiauto is nothing like a fully automatic weapon.  What’s your point?  The menacing look?  So tired of hearing that BS too.  

Along with hearing more Republican/NRA BS that liberals want them banned because they look menacing, blah blah blah.

The main point is the easy access to a semiautomatic rifles along with high capacity magazines.  It should be common sense that it makes it easier for someone (mentally ill/troubled) to purchase one along with multiple clips and kill and wound a lot of people.  

Do you know what I give absolutely zero ****s about? Arguments on the smallest details of what is a gun. Automatic. Semi-automatic. Assault weapon.

I DO NOT CARE. In 1994, we made that mistake and passed a law that created this debate and made practically everything available anyway.

Here is what the concern should be going forward. How many people can you kill and from what distance with the gun? If the answer is more than, like, 2 in one minute from the distance of a reasonable game winning field goal, ban the sum****.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, twa said:

Geoffrey Miller added,

Retweet

Direct message

Guns are for the police and Government. 

I can get behind that - do you sell T-Shirts?

• Haha 1

Just now, twa said:

I thought ya'll preferred only some police? :)

I have no problem in general with the police. As in any group there are some who should not be in that job because they are corrupt, incompetent, racists or psychologically unsuited. 

But when you have an armed population to deal with and any routine traffic stop is a potentially life or death situation their job is almost impossible and extremely dangerous. 

Another consequence of widespread public gun ownership and open and concealed carry.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, twa said:

I think it reasonable the populace should be armed as well and not shoot innocent people.

I think it’s unreasonable that we make it as easy as possible for the nuts who want to shoot innocent people to do so because we don’t want to cut into gun manufacturers profits.

1 hour ago, twa said:

I thought ya'll preferred only some police? :)

Yeah. They're totally biased toward the ones who don’t kill people that they shouldn’t kill. Everybody's got their favorites.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I think it’s unreasonable that we make it as easy as possible for the nuts who want to shoot innocent people to do so because we don’t want to cut into gun manufacturers profits.

I thought it was because we wanted to prevent them having a record or incarcerating them?

https://nypost.com/2018/03/24/trump-scrapping-obama-era-rule-that-turned-schools-into-war-zones/

Or was it because govt is inept and doesn't report as directed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fix_NICS_Act_of_2017

Nah, probably just protecting profits :bye:

3 minutes ago, twa said:

I thought it was because we wanted to prevent them having a record or incarcerating them?

https://nypost.com/2018/03/24/trump-scrapping-obama-era-rule-that-turned-schools-into-war-zones/

Or was it because govt is inept and doesn't report as directed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fix_NICS_Act_of_2017

Nah, probably just protecting profits :bye:

Ok, first, when you're talking to me, why would you post an article with a headline about Obama rules that turned schools into war zones? I would hope by now that you know that I'm not a complete ****ing moron and I don't suffer foolishness gladly.

Somebody: "Let's start with the idea that American schools are like war zones and it's Obama's fault!!"

Me: Jesus Christ, man.

Second, our government is inept. Pretty clearly.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

People with mental illnesses fall through the cracks because THIS ****ING COUNTRY DOESN'T TREAT MENTAL ILLNESS SERIOUSLY. 

Starting when Reagan shutdown mental hospitals and turned people out in the street. Insurance only covers so many limited visits. We don't treat veterans because it will look bad, so we have numerous vets walking around with PTSD. We also want servicepersons to get clearances and history of mental treatment may interfere with that process.

Until we as a country get a handle on treating people, then we will continue with these poor folks walking around untreated.

Yet Clinton and Obama had opportunity to do something about it and didn't. Same could be said about those 16 years and guns. The GOP is not responsible wholly for what has transpired. 

2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Why does Trump hate the gun industry?!

Seems as though the best guns are imported. Maybe they will do another bailout like they did for the automotive industry. 

Make America great again and all that jazz. 

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Ok, first, when you're talking to me, why would you post an article with a headline about Obama rules that turned schools into war zones? I would hope by now that you know that I'm not a complete ****ing moron and I don't suffer foolishness gladly.

Somebody: "Let's start with the idea that American schools are like war zones and it's Obama's fault!!"

Me: Jesus Christ, man.

Second, our government is inept. Pretty clearly.

Are you familiar with the policy Obama instituted?

Are you familiar with the alleged results?

If you are it is self explanatory....if not you should read more.

26 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Yet Clinton and Obama had opportunity to do something about it and didn't. Same could be said about those 16 years and guns. The GOP is not responsible wholly for what has transpired. 

For Clinton, I wasn't really paying attention back then but I would think it wasn't nearly the issue that it is now. Columbine happened in 1999. That was an isolated incident at that point. Plus, he only had two years left in office and Republicans controlled both the house and the senate.

Obama... I'll let the "Obama wants to take all the guns" faction and the "Obama did nothing" faction of the pro gun crowd settle that side of the debate and then, once I know what I'm arguing against, I'll throw my two cents in.

21 minutes ago, twa said:

Are you familiar with the policy Obama instituted?

Are you familiar with the alleged results?

If you are it is self explanatory....if not you should read more.

Ah, the alleged results. Are the alleged results that it turned schools into war zones? GOPers love themselves some hyperbole.

There's an excellent chance that a rule dictating the percentage of students of any one group who can be suspended or expelled would have negative effects. As a teacher, I would assume that, the results would not align with the intent. That being said, as the anti-stupidity crusader, It is my sworn duty to point out that the headline "Obama Rule Turned Schools Into War Zones" is ****ing stupid.

edit: Hyperbole is a personal pet peeve of mine. Overuse of hyperbole is, far and away and without any doubt, the worst habit in the history of forever... EVER!!!

• Like 1

The word "wholly"  http://www.dictionary.com/browse/wholly 

Is the point. Clearly and obviously the Democrats didn't do anything. Not even bring it to the table for discussion really. 

Obamacare is not the answer either.

PENALIZE people for not having healthcare ? That's bull**** and the whole world knows it. 

Do I believe we should all have affordable healthcare ? Of course I do.

Do I believe I should subsidize other folks having babies they can't afford and get a tax break for having babies ? Hell NO. 

But that is the American way.