Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RTD - Kirk Cousins, Jay Gruden cite positives after Redskins loss

gclark84

Ok, we need to get our collective **** together and let's talk some reality - (My apologies for the long post but had a lot to get off my chest..)

Many people are complaining about the penalties as a sign that Jay Gruden is not a good coach. The data says you could not be more wrong about penalties. Here are the last 7 sets of SB teams and where they rank in terms of penaites/gm (1 is good 32 is worst) - see below. Several were the worst in the league and only 2 out of 7 SBs (2001, 2009) featured two teams in the top 50%. The last 3 yrs have been bad, really bad.

Would it help our cause if we were better? Yes. But there were at least 5 penalties Thursday that were a ****ing joke. Let's start with the roughing the kicker that wasn't called! If we get that call like it's supposed to, we get 1st and 10 instead of re-punting and the resulting safety (roughing happens first before the running out of bounds by rule). 

The pick play called on Jordan - he was clearly within a yd of the line which makes that play ****ing legal as hell. At least 2 of the holding calls our guys barely grazed the guy, and that personal foul call when the NY Giant flat out fell basically into our player and we get called??  Give me a ****ing break!!   That is not coaching!   That's BS!!!  

2014 - Seattle (32) - NE (27) 

2013 - Seattle (32) - Denver (28)

2012 - Baltimore (31) - SF (26) 

2011 - Giants (14) - NE (4)

2010 - Green Bay (5) - Pitts (23) 

2009 - NO (12) - Indy (2) 

2008 - Pitts (21) - Ariz (28)

Note: Here is the link to the data - https://www.teamrank...date=2015-02-01

Kirk Cousins played horrendously, a complete dumpster fire. But I fail to see how it's bad play calling as some have said. It is clear had Kirk made those throws we get TDs not FGs and it's a different game. It's amazing when we win it's the great execution but when we lose it's poor play calling. This lands on Kirk. 

Back to Kirk. Yes, he was a dumpster fire last night. Could not have played worse save for the 2nd Q, even then it was hard to watch. But you can't pull him after one bad gm this season. He needs at least 8 gms. He only has 12 starts. Most NFL QBs need about 32 starts to start really playing well. If he is still playing this bad after 8, then give Colt the rest of the season. Then **** can all 3 QBs as i am almost certain McCoy will be just as bad or worse, but in his own unique way. (You think Kirks arm is weak.....). BTW: Did you see the **** storm that Andrew Luck is this year...  LMMFAO!!  

I have every faith Scot M. will do the right thing when its the right thing. He knows what many fans don't seem to know. The worst thing to do in this league is to over-react. He does not have the luxury of just replacing coaches and players on a daily basis as many fans would have them do. If he did, no one would ever come here and the players would have no respect for him.

We had 2 nice games. People calling the Miami game bad just want to be pissed. Rams was a great game!  The giants a ****ing dumpster fire. Guess what, that's what happens with young teams. Also, the guys on the other side are trying to win too. Just because the Redskins have been losing for 25 yrs does not mean you **** can the whole thing 2 or 3 games into a new plan. Make no mistake, last yr was a total learning experience for Jay. Also, this is clearly Scot M's show. If getting rid go Jay is the right thing, he will not hesitate to pull the trigger. Until then, he is our HC and I will support the living **** out of him. And Kirk needs fair time to get it together.

Winning is positive, losing is not. Consistent winning breeds confidence, consistent losing breeds doubt. Your two most important people on your football team are your HC and your QB. When both of them are continuously trying to sugar coat losing, you're destined for a head on collision with failure. Our team had a chance to make a statement Thursday night and instead came out flat and played with little fire. That is on the head coach. The QB continues to throw inexcusable int's and after 13 starts or whatever, there is no real reason to believe that he will stop making terrible decisions with the ball, simply because he keeps on doing it week in and week out. Even in the win over the Rams, he got away with a horrendous decision and throw when the Ram DB dropped a sure pick that might have went all the way.

Ya know what's positive Gruden? Having your team prepared and getting them to play with some urgency and passion EVERY WEEK. You are now 5-14 as a HC, you don't appear to be improving and there is nothing positive about that. Ya know what's positive Cousins? Not throwing the ball right to the other team EVERY WEEK. You are now 3-10 as a starter, you don't appear to be improving and there is nothing positive about that. 

I don't feel like we got stomped. We had chances. The reason we lost this game was due to stupid mistakes. The blocked punt, two stupid ints by Kirk, the Matt Jones fumble. If not for that Matt Jones fumble, we may well have one that game.

Also, we were moving the ball.

We also can't recover lose balls. Reed could've had 2 td's (Or we get the ball at the 1) if he comes back to the ball or Kirk throws it out further. Roberts happened again on a pass that could've went to the house.

Also, Compton was had by the mask on that early 3rd down conversion with the RB coming thru the hole. The "pick play" was picky and unfortunate and cooled our jets. Our TE (although Kirk had no biz throwing the damn ball anyway) was being mugged on the 2nd int.

We had the perfect opportunity to make a statement. We still did, in a way.......'Same ol Redskins'....for now.

I would most definitely not pull Cousins. Dude has 10ish starts and just needs to live and learn. Glad the O-line is not to blame anymore.

We also can't recover lose balls. Reed could've had 2 td's (Or we get the ball at the 1) if he comes back to the ball or Kirk throws it out further.

This bothered the crap out of me.  Reed seems to be all physical and no mental ability at all.  The balls were clearly under thrown and with the defensive player with his back to the ball.  All Reed has to do is hit the brakes and let the DB run into him.  It's an auto PI call every time.  It's been said numerous times that Reed is a dumbass.  The terrible pick play he was flagged for is another example.  Everybody runs that play and knows you have to sell it.  

His other on field mistakes make me wonder if he will ever GET IT.

This bothered the crap out of me.  Reed seems to be all physical and no mental ability at all.  The balls were clearly under thrown and with the defensive player with his back to the ball.  All Reed has to do is hit the brakes and let the DB run into him.  It's an auto PI call every time.  It's been said numerous times that Reed is a dumbass.  The terrible pick play he was flagged for is another example.  Everybody runs that play and knows you have to sell it.  

His other on field mistakes make me wonder if he will ever GET IT.

The under throws are all on Cousins.  He has 2 sure fire TDs if the balls are placed in a position where only the receiver can get them.  Guys like Brady, both Mannings and Rodgers make those plays.  Cousins can't.  As far as Gruden and Cousins citing positives after the loss, of course they're going to do that.  Cousins is Gruden's QB.  They've been joined at the hip ever since Gruden named him the starter.  

It's no surprise they're trying to find positives. Cousins and Gruden are under the microscope more then anyone else. Success or failure will fall on them and neither has past accomplishments to fall back on or point to. If neither is getting it done it's easier for the FO to move on from them. So yeah let's spout out positives in a loss and make it seem we're on track. All I see is a career backup and middle of the road OC posing as a HC.

The under throws are all on Cousins.  He has 2 sure fire TDs if the balls are placed in a position where only the receiver can get them.  Guys like Brady, both Mannings and Rodgers make those plays.  Cousins can't.  As far as Gruden and Cousins citing positives after the loss, of course they're going to do that.  Cousins is Gruden's QB.  They've been joined at the hip ever since Gruden named him the starter.  

I don't disagree with you.  Those throws were short on potential game changing plays.  He left points of the field and that was huge!  Different game had those throws been on target.  Cousins was off the entire night.  I can only recall a couple of throws he made were he led the receiver or located the ball where the player could catch it and make a move.  

My issue with Reed is that it's his third year and he doesn't seem to have his head in the game.

GOSkins-- penalties are more accepted on defensive side of ball it seems in the NFL. The Skins continue to shoot themselves in the foot with penalties on offense (admittedly i have no conparitive numbers to say skins are much worse than others). Though, I do feel the skins have improved some with overall discipline and I don't blame all penalties on Gruden.

Those blaming Reed for not drawing PI penalties are reaching a bit, IMO. Sure its something he Reed can keep in mind and become saavy about, but both throws were bad. Second one is asking a lot from Cousins, as pressure immediately was in Cousins' face.

Random, but I would have pulled Plummer after the first punt attempt. I'm all for guys getting more chances/gaining experience, but backed up like that, I'd have gone with someone else. Of course, there's the question of who is actually available.

Staying on ST, we need someone to step up as a ST coverage demon. Hate to keep bringing up Akeem Davis, but though some of his hits drew flags, he was a tone setter. You could see the D/team getting fired up after a big shot. And who wants to field a ball with that threat looming?

So you would have been happier if they said that their was no hope left... That everything was fubar and they'll end up 1-15?

Pretty sure negatives have already been talked in the locker room and will be talked again during the training week.

i would have been happier if they took the blame(esp. Kirk) and said they will look at the tape and try to work harder to improve.

i would have been happier if they took the blame(esp. Kirk) and said they will look at the tape and try to work harder to improve.

WTF are you people watching? He said in his post game he made some mistakes and needs to play better. Jut what is it you people want? It's like unless the guy comes and says, I am a complete loser, all I see is "He needs to take more responsibility". It was the same with Robert. I have posted a long list of time during many interviews where Robert would say,  specifically I made mistakes .I need to get better. I have to work harder and not make those mistakes and people still say he doesn't take responsibility. Same with Jay.

Cousins laid a big messy one last Thursday. He admitted it and said he needed get better. In this article he is simply saying, hey there were some positives to draw from it. Just struggling to understand what more they need to do other than quit football  and leave town! 

GOSkins-- penalties are more accepted on defensive side of ball it seems in the NFL. The Skins continue to shoot themselves in the foot with penalties on offense (admittedly i have no conparitive numbers to say skins are much worse than others). Though, I do feel the skins have improved some with overall discipline and I don't blame all penalties on Gruden.

Those blaming Reed for not drawing PI penalties are reaching a bit, IMO. Sure its something he Reed can keep in mind and become saavy about, but both throws were bad. Second one is asking a lot from Cousins, as pressure immediately was in Cousins' face.

I agree but at least to me most of the off penalties were BS.

So I just re-watched the condensed game and the coach's film (thank god for GamePass) and there were a few positives.

Our receivers in general looked really good outside of a couple drops. They were making clutch catches and adjusting to passes all night...there wasn't really a "stinker" among them which is good news when it comes to our young guys.

If he can stay healthy, Jordan Reed is one of the top pass catching TEs in football. He was practically uncoverable all game long.

Keenan Robinson is legit and if he continues this way could be one of the better ILBs in the game. He was everywhere. Standing up runs, some amazing plays in coverage.

Ryan Grant really does run good routes. Precise, and sells his fakes and cuts well.

Our OL overall played very well outside of a couple boneheaded plays.

As far as Cousins goes, he did have a few nice passes but not many (that early one to Thompson was very pretty). I count nice passes as those thrown in stride and with anticipation where the receiver can get YAC. A ton of his completions were behind, or not until the receiver had broken off and finished his route, and he got bailed out in a major way a few times (Grant's catch on 4th was clutch as hell). Watching on the coach's film the Reed potential TD underthrows and the throw behind to Roberts when he was streaking wide open and would have gone for a TD was absolutely painful. Guys were open all over the place all night. The Giant's pass D really isn't very good. Not sure what would have happened had we been facing a legitimately talented secondary.

So some positives, Kirk's performance wasn't the worst thing ever, but he was pretty bad and it was very obvious that he was getting flustered and rushing things.

I just want to know one thing everyone? What kind of mind altering drugs are they giving out at redskins park?  Please somebody tell me how in the hell you can take away ANY positives from what we saw last night!

With all the embarrassment and bad play, if the Redskins just connect on the 1 of th 2 passes to wide open Reed, and Jones doesn't fumble at the goal line, the Redskins win this game, that easy! All this game was is missed opportunities that practice and playing works out. I see many good things for this team to build on and am glad our coach and QB does as well. Seriously, what are they suppose to do, act like some of the fans and say it's over, no since in even going out to play next week, we will just forfeit. 

Seriously, did anyone here honestly think this was instantly going to be a playoff contender this year?

Yes some fans do, and when they have a bad game they think they should no longer see anything to build on and just stay home with us fans and watch other games lol.

Since there was no link in the improperly formatted OP (rule violation), though I saw one posted later in the thread:

from hap in the twitter thread

michael phillips ‏@michaelpRTD 3m3 minutes ago

Jay Gruden’s entire comments about Kirk Cousins a few minute ago.

I think Jay is right, keep coaching Kirk up and give him the playing experience leading this team and he will be rewarded with not just winning seasons, but division titles and more after Scotty Mac has a few more seasons to build his team. I know it's only 3 games into the season, but this is looking like a tough team who won't lay down when they get behind, and that will start showing later in this season when this team starts to jell together. I'm hoping they come out and floor Philly next week. 

I think Jay is right, keep coaching Kirk up and give him the playing experience leading this team and he will be rewarded with not just winning seasons, but division titles and more after Scotty Mac has a few more seasons to build his team. I know it's only 3 games into the season, but this is looking like a tough team who won't lay down when they get behind, and that will start showing later in this season when this team starts to jell together. I'm hoping they come out and floor Philly next week. 

I think Kirk and Jay both have this season to show big improvements and that's it. Neither is going to get another 3 years. Kirk is already 27 and his contract will be up anyway so unless he wants vet minimum he better start showing signs that is improving on his weaknesses. Gruden's tenure so far has been spotty, at the very best, in many ways...coaching, game planning, personnel, media. I see no way that Scot and Dan stick with him if we have another 4 win season.

Scot will probably want to pick his own guy and I would totally support that.

The last statement is the most critical IMO. This next game is probably Gruden's most important since he has been here. Not saying he will be fired with a loss. But if we are totally flat and lay the same egg we did against NY, I believe it will help Scot go a long way to deciding Jay is just not up to it. However, if the team get's up for the game, even if they lose a close one but are sharp, aggressive and play well but just come up short, then it shows the team is responding but are young and need some time to jell.

I think the only reason anyone was thinking playoffs before last night's game is that after Week 2, it looked like seven wins might take the division.

It might still be enough to do it. But I fear 8-8 will do and will require Tiebreaking procedures...

Winning is positive, losing is not. Consistent winning breeds confidence, consistent losing breeds doubt. Your two most important people on your football team are your HC and your QB. When both of them are continuously trying to sugar coat losing, you're destined for a head on collision with failure. Our team had a chance to make a statement Thursday night and instead came out flat and played with little fire. That is on the head coach. The QB continues to throw inexcusable int's and after 13 starts or whatever, there is no real reason to believe that he will stop making terrible decisions with the ball, simply because he keeps on doing it week in and week out. Even in the win over the Rams, he got away with a horrendous decision and throw when the Ram DB dropped a sure pick that might have went all the way.

Ya know what's positive Gruden? Having your team prepared and getting them to play with some urgency and passion EVERY WEEK. You are now 5-14 as a HC, you don't appear to be improving and there is nothing positive about that. Ya know what's positive Cousins? Not throwing the ball right to the other team EVERY WEEK. You are now 3-10 as a starter, you don't appear to be improving and there is nothing positive about that. 

Yeah, pretty sure it looks like Hello Kitty World at Redskins Park right now. They're chanting Kumbaya over a firecamp and eating fried marshmallows listening to Bill Callahan's jokes...

You can bet on it.

I'm sorry...but if KC goes 3 more games & is still averaging 2-3 INTs per...i don't care what your remaining deficiencies are on Offense, he's not going to overcome that.

Luck, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, & Manning (the elder) are the only QBs that have shown the ability to overcome that sort of garbage play consistently....& one could argue that Brady doesn't really have that problem to begin with.

If KC remains that consistently piss-poor in his decision making...or whatever reason he throws an INT...i call BS on anyone claiming he can change that, but RGIII can't get better in the pocket.

Watching Jets-Philly, Ryan Fitzpatrick reminds me a lot of Cousins. Just the same sort of third down and down field problems. A solid QB who struggles when his team is down.

Not sure if that's fair, but I saw the same sort of... Almost, he's doing it, heart break that Kirk has provided.

Well, sorry to disagree here, but a game last 4 full quarters. What you do in the last minutes of the game is as valuable as what happens in the first. A td scored with 3 seconds left on the clock is worth 6 points, like if you score on the opening KO. So final score is 32-21. Not a stomp, not a blowout to me.

But I supposed you discarded Santana Moss 2 TD against Dallas in the last minutes of the game to beat them 14-13 and count this game as L instead of W right?

If you think we will and should lose to the Eagles, well, I agree with others here regarding you.

Fact is here, as ES fans we tends to see other teams as not good. Except if we're playing: Packers/Patriots/Seahawks, all of the other sucks. That Giants team is roughly the same that won 2 SB. They still have the same QB, same HC, they've got young talented guys all over the field, but we treat them like they were a 0-16 team. We always forgot that the other team wants to win, that those guys in front are professionnals as well and they want to win. It has been said here and there that they were 0-2 while they should have been 2-0 if not for stupid mistakes regarding coaching. It's been said they've beaten crappy teams like Dallas and Falcons, both are 2-0!

If sometimes we could look at games we something else than homer's glasses and think that there's another team on the other side of the field that want to win, that they are not always crappy teams like we think they are, life would be happier here.

Quiting after 3 games and being 1-2, with two good games, and one not that good? Not for me. Not like we were gonna be SB contender this year after just one game. Although that what this place looked like after beating the Rams (who do not suck btw, they're a very good team, and Fowles is no joke either).

I pointed this out in other threads, 2012-present the Gnats have 23 wins, 6 against Washington. They are, what, 17-27 against everyone else. They stink and they own us. I feel like we are responsible for the contract Eli got.

The OP, like all of us, should be embarrassed at how the team played yet again on a national stage. It has a lot to do with the reason we are a national punch line who was ranked in at least one power poll as team 32 at the start of the year. Cousins could have scored some points with me if he had personally taken responsibility for the loss, because in all honesty the game was mostly on him. Gruden still needs to learn how to give answers to the media... He should not have said, "Kirk was fine..."'he should have stressed that Kirk missed some plays that he is expected to make and then stressed it was a team loss. He covered for him, but not in a way that will resonate with the rest of the team.

I'm sorry, but the only positive I saw from that game is knowing that kickoff returns for a TD is not a myth for this team. There was no fire or game changing plays from the defense. I saw a QB that was turnover prone (again) and extremely inaccurate missing open receivers. A punt team that can't block properly. A coach that got away from the run game early and only gave our best RB 6 touches and covered up a poor QB performance by saying "he was fine."  And to top it all off, another embarrassing showing in a nationally televised prime time game. I'm sure there's more, but that's what I saw. They seriously need to step it up big time this week or it will get ugly.

RG3 can't be this bad......hell...neither can Colt....

It's weird cuz I want to cheer for Cousins, but my eyes won't let the rose tinted glasses I'm trying to wear lie to myself....sorry folks he doesn't have it...(unless we are ahead and running the ball well)

Why does our HC refuse to admit this.....?????

That was sooooo deflating to watch

Archived