Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RTD - Kirk Cousins, Jay Gruden cite positives after Redskins loss

gclark84

I think you can definitely take positives away from how the team played in the 4th quarter. 2 (almost 3 but time ran out) long drives that should have resulted in tds except for the mj fumble at the very end (which itself was made on a nice play).

You sound like you listen to too much bmitch and doc walker. Here, let me give you the extent of their analysis of every game:

(if lost)

"Nothing matters unless you get the W. There's no positives here. What is this, kindergarten? If you lost, you don't deserve any positives. You know, back in my day we won pretty much every game. When we lost, Joe Gibbs passed around a samurai sword to everyone on the team and we all committed seppuko right there in the locker room. Every. Time. We. Lost."

I'm staying positive.  Yeah, the played bad last night, but never gave up.  Kirk needed to put more zip on the ball, too many missed opportunities for TDs. They had to abandon the run due to falling behind early. Hopefully some of the injuries last night do not linger long.  

They have a week and half to get ready for a bad eagles team and I think they will bounce back. Its going to be an up and down season for this young team.

To those thinking we didn't get stomped and that there were positives worthy of mentioning, did you at any point from the 1st quarter on ever feel like we were going to find a way to win the game?

Moving the ball or not, it never felt to me that we would make the plays necessary to win.  So yeah to me, that's a beatdown with not much positive to talk about.

Totally agree with you. I knew at 12-0 it was over and sadly I was right!

The over-knee jerk reaction around here is out of control. Give the Giants credit. They were ready to play. Going on the road after a Sunday game is really hard. I think everyone probably had this game down as a loss. Not sure why everyone if freaking out.

Kirk missed some and threw two terrible picks. Did we think Kirk would have 16 good games??  Didn't you guys know that he would have a few games like this?? 

Frustrating game, to say the least.  Too many negatives to look at positives.

1.  Kirk missed Roberts in stride (possible TD), over threw Grant, under threw Reed (TD), and threw behind Garcon.  To me, this is unacceptable.  End up settling for FG’s or punts when you probably should have TDs.
  2. I understand Matt Jones will be a good RB in this league.  However, Alfred is a horse, and should be carrying the load.  Last night he got the “start”, lining up out wide, and then immediately taken  out for Jones.  He was on the sideline for most of the snaps, even critical times.  2 weeks in a row, Jones has coughed the ball up in critical times – one leading to 7, another taking 7 off the board.   I’d rather Alf in, and Jones spell Alf.
  3. The Defense – can’t say too much negative.  I’m not even that mad at Breeland.  Both big plays he “gave up” he was right there barely missing the ball on the OBJ catch, and a tough  bounce for Randle.  Need to start getting some sacks and turnovers though.  We don’t have an INT yet, do we?

dude, why do you even watch then?  Why even start this thread unless you just want to flame anyone who says they saw positives (which it seems like you are doing)?  Sorry you didn't see any but I think there were a number of things that were good.  You know, things you want to see as your in a rebuild with a roster overhaul.

I think you can definitely take positives away from how the team played in the 4th quarter. 2 (almost 3 but time ran out) long drives that should have resulted in tds except for the mj fumble at the very end (which itself was made on a nice play).

You sound like you listen to too much bmitch and doc walker. Here, let me give you the extent of their analysis of every game:

(if lost)

"Nothing matters unless you get the W. There's no positives here. What is this, kindergarten? If you lost, you don't deserve any positives. You know, back in my day we won pretty much every game. When we lost, Joe Gibbs passed around a samurai sword to everyone on the team and we all committed seppuko right there in the locker room. Every. Time. We. Lost."

Totally agree with that last sentence!! That's why Joe Gibbs and the Redskins of the 80's and 90's were winners. You just backed up my point. I like Doc Walker and B-Mitch because they tell it like it is and don't sugar coat it. They were angry when they lost and that's how it should be. There are no positives when you lose. That's the problem with this team they do not get that upset instead they tell the fans they actually found a silver lining in losing... Losers always find a silver lining!  

I guess if you know you are not good enough you will make excuses. That's just human nature I guess.

(if lost)

BTW... Totally agree with their analysis!

I have been a fan for over 44 years and over the past 20 years things were supposed to different everyone yelling patience and don't panic and it's only 2 games and wait and see...Sorry after 20 years with absolutely no sign that things will consistently get better it very difficult to believe anything this team does.

Then why are you here? If you have given up and are "tired of it all", why are you posting? You should walk away and save yourself the stress.

For me, I don't hold GM Scott accountable for what happened or what was said here "20 years before". He has been the GM for a total of 3 regular season games, and deserves time to put his stamp on the team.

If you are THAT fed up, and don't want to give him time, then I don't know what you are doing here.

I'm staying positive.  Yeah, the played bad last night, but never gave up.  Kirk needed to put more zip on the ball, too many missed opportunities for TDs. They had to abandon the run due to falling behind early. Hopefully some of the injuries last night do not linger long.  

They have a week and half to get ready for a bad eagles team and I think they will bounce back. Its going to be an up and down season for this young team.

We will lose even to a bad Eagle Team. 1-3 as it should be... I am being sarcastic of course but right now that's how I feel. I do not see how we are going to beat the Eagles because by then they will be desperate and of course that will be the excuse they will use that we met a desperate team but hey we kept it close and if not for the dropped passes, fumbles, penalties and Refs we would have had a chance to win......

dude, why do you even watch then?  Why even start this thread unless you just want to flame anyone who says they saw positives (which it seems like you are doing)?  Sorry you didn't see any but I think there were a number of things that were good.  You know, things you want to see as your in a rebuild with a roster overhaul.

I have been a fan for 44 years and I have a right to vent. I have not attacked anyone for their opinion. This is what being a fan is all about. I have been through the good and bad like everyone else but will not be an apologist for this team. You have a right to voice opinion but do not have a right to make it personal with me.

I simply agree with Doc Walker and B-Mitch. There are no positives in my opinion(if that makes you feel better) from Losing! period..again my humble opinion. If you have been on this board any amount of time I am not a trouble maker. I rarely if ever start any threads. 

I felt frustration and I have an opinion and that is my right...sorry if I somehow upset you personally. This is not a personal attack for anyone on this board.

Frustrating...

Cousins was off, in ways that he is typically on.

His anticipation and accuracy were noticeably worse than you can expect with him usually. Throwing behind, just a bit too far ahead, it probably cost us 2 or 3 TDs just on those bad throws(or at least very significant field position)

I think it's a mistake to not use Alfred Morris. To not use the model team player, on a cheap salary, and one of our BEST players at that, is a slap in the face. A rookie with fumbleitis(even though I love Matt Jones) has not earned that position yet.

Offense continues to be very vanilla. running and dink/dunk passes.

Defensive scheme continues to be vanilla. send 3 or 4, barely any blitzes....wonder why they keep connecting on passes with Eli Manning as their QB.

Do the coaches even study film?

Then why are you here? If you have given up and are "tired of it all", why are you posting? You should walk away and save yourself the stress.

For me, I don't hold GM Scott accountable for what happened or what was said here "20 years before". He has been the GM for a total of 3 regular season games, and deserves time to put his stamp on the team.

If you are THAT fed up, and don't want to give him time, then I don't know what you are doing here.

I am here because I am a fan of the Redskins. Why you are taking this personal is beyond my understanding? Really I never attacked anyone on this board including you..I am voicing an opinion and frustration for this team which I support and have a right to state how I feel. you or anyone else DO NOT have a right to tell me what to feel or how to post!

Why don't you attack other members who differ from your wait and see approach instead of jumping down my throat? I am sure you can find there are others that are not exactly thrilled by what is going on right now.

Joe Gibbs was seething and I knew without a doubt that if we met philly again and in Philly we would destroy them. We meet them again in Jan 91 in the playoffs and kicked their ass!  Joe Gibbs teams as far as I know never cited positives after a defeat! What a disgrace!!!!! 

We beat them in the regular season that year, the beagles didnt make the playoffs, killed Atlanta our first game and faced Detroit in the NFC championship game. You're right in the fact that a lot of players point to that as a turning point for the following (91-92) season. I believe its mentioned in our "america's game" video of that superbowl.

Sorry was corrected by "dissident" you are correct 91 Jan.

I think you can definitely take positives away from how the team played in the 4th quarter.

As far as the team goes, not at all. None. Other than perhaps the "they didn't give up".

They were down by more than 3 scores for most of that time, playing a defense that was simply trying to stay away from the big play, and even then they didn't necessarily look "Good". For example, the drive resulting in a touchdown took MULTIPLE instances of going all 4 downs just to get to that point; not exactly a "good" indication for how the offense should or can be functioning in a normal game where you're not going "Screw it, we're down 3 scores with less than 10 minutes left, let's go for it on 4th and a mile inside our 30 yard line".

We were losing 25-6 with 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Our offense scored 1 TD and we were never in the game. I would say that we got stomped..Sorry someone please tell if at any point in this game you thought even down 15-6 we were coming back. I knew we were done when it was 12-0. Just being honest and my complete lack of faith in our QB bringing us back. Also knew he was going to throw a couple of picks..which he did once again and once again we hear the garbage that he needs to correct it!

Well, sorry to disagree here, but a game last 4 full quarters. What you do in the last minutes of the game is as valuable as what happens in the first. A td scored with 3 seconds left on the clock is worth 6 points, like if you score on the opening KO. So final score is 32-21. Not a stomp, not a blowout to me.

But I supposed you discarded Santana Moss 2 TD against Dallas in the last minutes of the game to beat them 14-13 and count this game as L instead of W right?

We will lose even to a bad Eagle Team. 1-3 as it should be... I am being sarcastic of course but right now that's how I feel. I do not see how we are going to beat the Eagles because by then they will be desperate and of course that will be the excuse they will use that we met a desperate team but hey we kept it close and if not for the dropped passes, fumbles, penalties and Refs we would have had a chance to win......

If you think we will and should lose to the Eagles, well, I agree with others here regarding you.

Fact is here, as ES fans we tends to see other teams as not good. Except if we're playing: Packers/Patriots/Seahawks, all of the other sucks. That Giants team is roughly the same that won 2 SB. They still have the same QB, same HC, they've got young talented guys all over the field, but we treat them like they were a 0-16 team. We always forgot that the other team wants to win, that those guys in front are professionnals as well and they want to win. It has been said here and there that they were 0-2 while they should have been 2-0 if not for stupid mistakes regarding coaching. It's been said they've beaten crappy teams like Dallas and Falcons, both are 2-0!

If sometimes we could look at games we something else than homer's glasses and think that there's another team on the other side of the field that want to win, that they are not always crappy teams like we think they are, life would be happier here.

Quiting after 3 games and being 1-2, with two good games, and one not that good? Not for me. Not like we were gonna be SB contender this year after just one game. Although that what this place looked like after beating the Rams (who do not suck btw, they're a very good team, and Fowles is no joke either).

We beat them in the regular season that year, the beagles didnt make the playoffs, killed Atlanta our first game and faced Detroit in the NFC championship game. You're right in the fact that a lot of players point to that as a turning point for the following (91-92) season. I believe its mentioned in our "america's game" video of that superbowl.

You're thinking of the '91 SEASON. The poster was referring to the '90 season and is correct. 

They beat us that year in the "Body Bag" game in Philly. We faced them in the wildcard that year later and crushed them, but lost to the niners after. 

Not only did it require going for it on 4th multiple times, the refs felt some semblance of pity and finally found their flags in our favor.

If this team lost a squeaker in the 4th, walking away with some positivity makes perfect sense.  Coming out flat, putting a rookie in a position to blow the game on special teams, missing numerous status-quo throws that kept points off the board, and never really being in the game really leaves no room for positivity - rebuilding or not.

You're thinking of the '91 SEASON. The poster was referring to the '90 season and is correct. 

They beat us that year in the "Body Bag" game in Philly. We faced them in the wildcard that year later and crushed them, but lost to the niners after. 

Thanks .. I guess it's days like this that I focus back on that SuperBowl season for comfort .. lol.

This game wasn't over until Jones fumbled into the endzone.  Anyone in here that's butthurt we didn't win in a desperate 0-2 division rival's stadium on primetime with two starting o-linement missing needs to sit the **** down.  Let it go, and focus on getting back to .500 at home against Philly with plenty of time to rest and get healthy.

As a fan who just wants to enjoy the game, watch the team play well, and compete hard on every play, it's definitely become way too normal to see the team play like poopoo season in season out.

But, yes, there were some positives to take from the game.

Ross returning that kick was pretty awesome. 

There were like 2-3 plays I could point to that would have swung the game in a very different direction.  The first play of the game comes to mind... 25+ yard pass play to Chris Thompson, called back due to penalty... Then you had the slight underthrow to Reed when he was wide open on the left side into the end zone, and of course the fumble on the goalline by Matty Jones.

Skins make those 3 plays and this game is much closer.

As negative as I'd love to be this morning I look at those 3 missed opportunities as areas the team will put up on the big screen when they review the game.

So close, yet so far, it seems.

Archived