Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RTD - Kirk Cousins, Jay Gruden cite positives after Redskins loss

gclark84

Not only did it require going for it on 4th multiple times, the refs felt some semblance of pity and finally found their flags in our favor.

If this team lost a squeaker in the 4th, walking away with some positivity makes perfect sense.  Coming out flat, putting a rookie in a position to blow the game on special teams, missing numerous status-quo throws that kept points off the board, and never really being in the game really leaves no room for positivity - rebuilding or not.

Be careful you will be labeled a trouble maker and told you have no right to your opinion and not to watch them anymore...

I don't feel like we got stomped. We had chances. The reason we lost this game was due to stupid mistakes. The blocked punt, two stupid ints by Kirk, the Matt Jones fumble. If not for that Matt Jones fumble, we may well have one that game.

Also, we were moving the ball.

Having chances doesn't change the fact that we were outclasses aka stomped. Getting beat bad is getting beat bad no matter why.

We are a QB away from being good, and that QB isn't on the roster, I'm not looking forward to having to find that QB in this year's draft class, but last night showed me that Cousins is a career clipboard holder at best

The problem with that is we'll still manage somehow to win 5 or 6 games and miss out on a top QB unless we sell the farm again.

I am here because I am a fan of the Redskins. Why you are taking this personal is beyond my understanding? Really I never attacked anyone on this board including you..I am voicing an opinion and frustration for this team which I support and have a right to state how I feel. you or anyone else DO NOT have a right to tell me what to feel or how to post!

Why don't you attack other members who differ from your wait and see approach instead of jumping down my throat? I am sure you can find there are others that are not exactly thrilled by what is going on right now.

LOL!

You are the only one attacking anyone on this thread. Attacking them for not being as unhappy as you. If you don't like people responding to your posts, then don't post. Because when you post, you are going to get all type of reactions.

So I guess you want the Redskins to just blow everything up then, huh? Fire the coach, fire the GM, cut all the QBs. Just start all over after just three games.

AGAIN.

Because that is the logic of your posts.

Disturbing that Gruden and Cousins can utter the word positives regarding this game.  How about some humility regarding the careless, careless play? 

I felt the same level of anger listening to both Gruden and Cousins, similar to last year when RG3 used to stand at the podium and recuse himself from any responsibility. 

Really Kirk?  You threw behind receivers consistently.  You forced balls into coverage again...similar to Sexy Rexy used to do.  You did not make good reads.  Period.  OWN IT.   Learn from that. 

And our D front got no pressure on Eli...again.  Eli has his way with us almost every single time we play them.  

Careless play from the top down.  Own it boys.   In the days of Gibbs no player would be standing up there speaking about "positives"

Gruden is soft IMO.  But he never liked Griffin IMO.  He has given Cousins a long, long leash  It is all learning...blah, blah, blah.  Bull ****.  It was garbage play, and Cousins would be maybe a second string QB.  To me it is about learning and executing differently based upon that learning.  I do not see Cousins learning and he has never handled the "big stage".

Geez maybe Gruden needs to get a sports psychologist in the building. 

Therein lies the problem, the Head Coach needs to be able to get in his players heads and keep them focused, Great head coaches can manipulate, and motivate their players to get production out of them. Sometimes that means throwing a temper tantrum and kicking a table of OJ, lol. There are a number of great coaches who after a loss would stand at the podium and absorb all the blame, and not deflect. Then would subsequently go behind the closed doors of the locker room and let the team have it for making them do that.

Gotta be good at the X's and O's, but you gotta be able to light a fire sometimes. Jay needs to get angry, or maybe the NFL has just changed so much and players need more hugs?

For what it's worth Jay does come across as soft (affable as Sally Jenkins writes, lol), I mean Jay and Jon walk into a bar, Jon's the one you dont mess with.

Totally agree with that last sentence!! That's why Joe Gibbs and the Redskins of the 80's and 90's were winners. You just backed up my point. I like Doc Walker and B-Mitch because they tell it like it is and don't sugar coat it. They were angry when they lost and that's how it should be. There are no positives when you lose. That's the problem with this team they do not get that upset instead they tell the fans they actually found a silver lining in losing... Losers always find a silver lining!

I guess if you know you are not good enough you will make excuses. That's just human nature I guess.

BTW... Totally agree with their analysis!

It's baffled me for years why Bmitch and (especially) Doc Walker are paid to give their opinion on football, let alone have their own shows. I think I finally understand now that there is an actual audience out there for this type of stuff. More power to you man. Glad my hyperbole of their analysis was agreeable to you.

Summing up gclark84's awesome hysterical pyrotechnically apt maelstrom of a meltdown:

2+beh+cry.jpg

Really, just textbook.    

I understand disappointment but your proclamations of "44 years of being a fan"  has the veneer of "he doth protest too much" and acts as a cover to go beyond deserved criticism and verges on running just hateful smack on the team.   

1530887-slingblade_001.jpg

I think I'm done listening to you,  mmmm hmmmm

velocet

Disturbing that Gruden and Cousins can utter the word positives regarding this game.  How about some humility regarding the careless, careless play? 

I felt the same level of anger listening to both Gruden and Cousins, similar to last year when RG3 used to stand at the podium and recuse himself from any responsibility. 

Really Kirk?  You threw behind receivers consistently.  You forced balls into coverage again...similar to Sexy Rexy used to do.  You did not make good reads.  Period.  OWN IT.   Learn from that. 

And our D front got no pressure on Eli...again.  Eli has his way with us almost every single time we play them.  

Careless play from the top down.  Own it boys.   In the days of Gibbs no player would be standing up there speaking about "positives"

Gruden is soft IMO.  But he never liked Griffin IMO.  He has given Cousins a long, long leash  It is all learning...blah, blah, blah.  Bull ****.  It was garbage play, and Cousins would be maybe a second string QB.  To me it is about learning and executing differently based upon that learning.  I do not see Cousins learning and he has never handled the "big stage".

This fanbase is crazy...

Last year we went mad like hell against Gruden for calling out Griffin publicly (and boy, Griffin really did deserved it!)

Now we're complaining about coach speak.

If they comes out and say that they both sucked, we'll ask for their head ASAP and we'll start talking 1st pick in 2k16.

Some of you guys have to understand that well, he just can't come in front and say:

"We were crappy, we didn't play good footballl, our line sucked, our QB was dumb and blind, our receivers won't catch anything but a  cold, our RBs can't keep the ball in their hands and our D is still figuring how to tackle before going to phase 2, who should I tackle."

He did it once last year, and we crushed him for it.

So they do have to find some positives, because they have to keep faith, keep faith in the team, in their talents, in their play calling and everything else. They have to keep faith that working hard will make them better and suceed finally.

I don't wan't to see another team that quit after 3 quarters, or less. I don't want a team that don't care. Being positive is still caring, while negativity is not caring anymore. So I'm quite glad they still care about football, still care about this team.

They lose? That does happen, especially against the Giants, that's in the history books, we most often lose down there (they lead the series 99-65-4 now).

One last point, you can't also complain on Cousins leash considering how everyone complain about coaching carousel last year.

As I said before, what anyone says afterwards doesn't help change the score.  But coming out and talking about positives when there were so many negatives is the cherry on top of the crap sundae they just served us.

So you would have been happier if they said that their was no hope left... That everything was fubar and they'll end up 1-15?

Pretty sure negatives have already been talked in the locker room and will be talked again during the training week.

There were positives.

Some of y'all need KDawg's film study. 

The team left points on the board. You could argue by way of playcalling once getting to the Giants 30 - 20 yardline.

The 2nd INT Kirk threw, deflected pop-up, was a huge swing in the game. At that point we were at the Giants 30 yardline. You probably could have counted at least a FG from that drive. The score was 18 to 6, two scores. But upon the turnover, the Giants take the drive for a TD (the Beckham catch). Breeland was in position, Beckham just made the play. 

After that we drive and are about to score a TD when the fumble / touchback occurs. That was just a huge sequence of events that went bad in a game where seemingly everything was going the Giants way and not ours. 

The game was salvageable at multiple points of the game, 1st half and 2nd half.

Seriously, PM KDawg, skype chat with him, watch the game on Game Pass, allow KD to show you where one drive here and there changes the entire landscape of the game. 

Bottom line, the team didn't get it done, but you can see where the opportunities were to be had. It would be much more stark and hopeless had the team not even been able to get within striking distance of the endzone. Seeing stalled drives and heartbreaking turnover on what should have been a TD ... that the reason for a glimmer of positive.

Now, you vampires go get some sun.  

Some of you can say what you want to, but the Giants were missing quite a few key players and we were relatively healthy and they still whipped us. Nobody's expecting this team to become elite over night but this was a VERY winnable game and once again we got stage fright. When does it end?

Bottom line, the team didn't get it done, but you can see where the opportunities were to be had. It would be much more stark and hopeless had the team not even been able to get within striking distance of the endzone. Seeing stalled drives and heartbreaking turnover on what should have been a TD ... that the reason for a glimmer of positive.

Every team,  practically every week has opportunities.  It's just the loser fails to capitalize on them.  Moving the ball is not a positive when you don't score points.  They lost in a very Redskins way last night.  We still can't find ways to be on the other side of the heartbreaking turnovers or special teams blunders.  That's the reason why nobody is in the mood to hear anything positive.

Nobody is expecting guys to say they are gonna pack it in and brace themselves for 1-15.  At the same time, be real with yourselves and realize how much better you have to be to win football games.

I didn't catch any of  the pressers but Kirk played awful. If Jay thinks otherwise, he's an idiot. Surely he just doesn't want to rip Kirk in public but through 3 games, Kirk has not the guy Jay hints at and leads us to believe.

We have a decent defense this year, we don't need a guy who throws INTs all the time. More so than recent years, this is the year when our QB needs to protect the ball. Take sacks if you have to and punt. Let the defense help. 

LOL!

You are the only one attacking anyone on this thread. Attacking them for not being as unhappy as you. If you don't like people responding to your posts, then don't post. Because when you post, you are going to get all type of reactions.

So I guess you want the Redskins to just blow everything up then, huh? Fire the coach, fire the GM, cut all the QBs. Just start all over after just three games.

AGAIN.

Because that is the logic of your posts.

I never said that at all about blowing everything up. I am just sick of losing all the time as we probably all are. You know what's funny is the people that have played the game on Super Bow winning Redskin teams agree with me and are very vocal about it.  As a fan I am very frustrated. I have attacked no one but the sad play of our team. I am not sure why you are so upset because I have voiced a valid opinion. If you look around this board I am sure there are others you can attack because they do not share your Rose colored glasses assessment of this team .

Summing up gclark84's awesome hysterical pyrotechnically apt maelstrom of a meltdown:

Really, just textbook.    

I understand disappointment but your proclamations of "44 years of being a fan"  has the veneer of "he doth protest too much" and acts as a cover to go beyond deserved criticism and verges on running just hateful smack on the team.   

1530887-slingblade_001.jpg

I think I'm done listening to you,  mmmm hmmmm

velocet

What the hell are you talking about? Are you serious with that bunch of bull? Why don't you actually pay attention to what has been going on the last 20 years...Are you a relative of Danny boy?

Maybe they should have set themselves on fire at the podium.

Not quite but that's funny.. :)

What the hell are you talking about? Are you serious with that bunch of bull? Why don't you actually pay attention to what has been going on the last 20 years...Are you a relative of Danny boy?

Not quite but that's funny.. :)

Hey I see books in your hand..Big words..won't fence with you anymore...

I didn't catch any of  the pressers but Kirk played awful. If Jay thinks otherwise, he's an idiot. Surely he just doesn't want to rip Kirk in public but through 3 games, Kirk has not the guy Jay hints at and leads us to believe.

We have a decent defense this year, we don't need a guy who throws INTs all the time. More so than recent years, this is the year when our QB needs to protect the ball. Take sacks if you have to and punt. Let the defense help. 

To summarize, Jay seemed sort of "aw shucks" about the loss and that their early hole was more unlucky than just flat out bad football.  I'm sure someone will find a way to post bits and pieces of what he said to prove me wrong, but that's just the impression that I and others took from the press conference.

Kirk on the other hand, did take blame for the 2nd interception but was pretty long winded in explaining why the first one wasn't a bad throw and simply a good play by the corner.  But that's not true.

Yes...Gibbs...who with loss after loss during Round II was made famous for such comments as "he's a super smart player", "playing their guts out", "always fighting" etc. Your "history" there is more nonsense than accurate.

I don't think you'd like what a good psychologist (even a "sports" one) would say about most of this, because in at least two cases I know of, it would be in favor of Gruden and against you. 

This is merely a venting thread made by a long time fan who rarely does such, or I'd be harder on him for its weakness as gratuitous outrage. There is absolutely nothing of any meat to carry on about regarding this presser. There are plenty of actual issues to correct. And "they" are already saying plenty about all of their gaffes, and will likely continue to do so. Duh. That's how it has been all along to anyone paying attention to reality and not just applying a selective filter to their perceptions.

However, several solid ES posters have made some very worthy posts in this thread. For all I go on about all the dumbassery so common on ye olde message board, I like to just as often note the good side.

To summarize, Jay seemed sort of "aw shucks" about the loss and that their early hole was more unlucky than just flat out bad football.  I'm sure someone will find a way to post bits and pieces of what he said to prove me wrong, but that's just the impression that I and others took from the press conference.

Kirk on the other hand, did take blame for the 2nd interception but was pretty long winded in explaining why the first one wasn't a bad throw and simply a good play by the corner.  But that's not true.

I think the first interception was both. A good play by the corner in reading the play and disguising his look, and a terrible play by Cousins for essentially throwing it blind without reacting to the corner who had obviously changed his read and was moving into the area.

I think the first interception was both. A good play by the corner in reading the play and disguising his look, and a terrible play by Cousins for essentially throwing it blind without reacting to the corner who had obviously changed his read and was moving into the area.

Agreed, but according to Kirk - to be a pro, you have to make that throw... (paraphrased)

I just thought it was odd from him as he typically seems to know what to say and more importantly what not to say.  In this instance, he was defensive about it and I'm thinking oh no - the press is getting to him too now.

Yes...Gibbs...who with loss after loss during Round II was made famous for such comments as "he's a super smart player", "playing their guts out", "always fighting" etc. Your "history" there is more nonsense than accurate.

It's on me.

I legitimately felt badly during Gibbs' pressers his second time around.

Archived