Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RTD - Kirk Cousins, Jay Gruden cite positives after Redskins loss

gclark84

Did the team crap the bed? yes. Did Cousins crap the bed? yes. but was he the only one who crapped the bed? no. The punter seemed to punt in slow motion all night. Plummer allowed a defender to get through and block a punt for a safety. Jones fumbled the ball on the 1 yard line into the end zone for a Giants touchback. Hall never looked around on one play in which he could have blocked a pass. The OL was pitifull. Play calls were bad. Defense appeared not to be prepared. etc. etc. 

Right now Cousins sits in good company when it comes to INT's. 

QB's INT's today and totals:

49ers-Kaepernick: 4 total 4

Bronco's-PManning: 1 total 2

Colts-Luck: 2 total 7

Chargers-Rivers: 1 total 4

Ravens-Flacco: 1 total 4

Lions-Stafford: 1 total 3

Jets-Fitzpatrick: 3 total 5

Just about every QB this week had atleast 1 INT. So yes the TEAM crapped the bed as a TEAM. but Cousins stats are right in line with the best QB's in the league. 

I hate being a doom and gloom guy.

But you're right, we were whipped.  Seriously, the guys should be embarrassed.

At 25-6, it was garbage time yards and points.

If Ross does not score that TD, the score still wouldn't reflect the whopping.  But perhaps you can't take as much out of a game if the score was 31-14, minus the Ross return.

Having said that, the opportunities were there.  Cousins was awful.

Did the team crap the bed? yes. Did Cousins crap the bed? yes. but was he the only one who crapped the bed? no. The punter seemed to punt in slow motion all night. Plummer allowed a defender to get through and block a punt for a safety. Jones fumbled the ball on the 1 yard line into the end zone for a Giants touchback. Hall never looked around on one play in which he could have blocked a pass. The OL was pitifull. Play calls were bad. Defense appeared not to be prepared. etc. etc. 

Just about every QB this week had atleast 1 INT. So yes the TEAM crapped the bed as a TEAM. but Cousins stats are right in line with the best QB's in the league. 

What does this have to do with anything at all? What is your point? That Cousins is as good as Manning? Or Luck? Or even Rivers? Cousins sucked. What other QBs did is irrelevant to that.

I think Kirk and Jay both have this season to show big improvements and that's it. Neither is going to get another 3 years. Kirk is already 27 and his contract will be up anyway so unless he wants vet minimum he better start showing signs that is improving on his weaknesses. Gruden's tenure so far has been spotty, at the very best, in many ways...coaching, game planning, personnel, media. I see no way that Scot and Dan stick with him if we have another 4 win season.

Scot will probably want to pick his own guy and I would totally support that.

I don't think anyone can argue this, knowing the history of our owner. Patients are very short in this organization, especially after back to back losing seasons. I think your right mistertim, if Jay wants job security, he better win more then 4 games. 

RG3 can't be this bad......hell...neither can Colt....

It's weird cuz I want to cheer for Cousins, but my eyes won't let the rose tinted glasses I'm trying to wear lie to myself....sorry folks he doesn't have it...(unless we are ahead and running the ball well)

Why does our HC refuse to admit this.....?????

That was sooooo deflating to watch

thanks, I needed a good laugh, and that got me rolling.

Therein lies the problem, the Head Coach needs to be able to get in his players heads and keep them focused, Great head coaches can manipulate, and motivate their players to get production out of them. Sometimes that means throwing a temper tantrum and kicking a table of OJ, lol. There are a number of great coaches who after a loss would stand at the podium and absorb all the blame, and not deflect. Then would subsequently go behind the closed doors of the locker room and let the team have it for making them do that.

Gotta be good at the X's and O's, but you gotta be able to light a fire sometimes. Jay needs to get angry, or maybe the NFL has just changed so much and players need more hugs?

For what it's worth Jay does come across as soft (affable as Sally Jenkins writes, lol), I mean Jay and Jon walk into a bar, Jon's the one you dont mess with.

How much hugging did he do with RG3? Hes tough when he wants to be. Kirk is his choice, his career as a headcoach is now linked to kirks development.

Being tough on kirk would be tantamount to admitting a mistake. And this guy is anything but the type to take responsibikty when things go bad. Now that he doesnt have RG3 to kick around, hes left with trying to convince us that the losses arent so bad....God i miss joe gibbs...

Lets just all admit it was a bad game by Kirk.  You can slap lipstick on a pig and its still a pig.  If Gruden is smart, he still gives him 8 games, you expect a young guy to have bad games, but you expect if hes good, hes going to bounce back, and by week 8 show some level of consistency.

Not really understanding the comparison with other QBs throwing INTs this week. While they may have thrown them, the huge difference is that all of those QBs (minus Fitzpatrick) have taken their teams to the playoffs or Super Bowl with their play. Meanwhile, the only thing Cousins seems to be consistent with is throwing an INT each week and can't even put together 2 consecutive wins as a starter in a season. Once Cousins shows us he can stop throwing to the other jersey consistently and put together a string of wins, then maybe we can talk about progress and comparing stats. Until then it's just laughable.

Well to be fair the opportunity to take the team to the playoffs has only be given to Robert so far. We have yet to find out if cousins can support the team all by himself.

He had some games here and there as the labeled back up. Now he's named starter which is a totally different things.

Not really understanding the comparison with other QBs throwing INTs this week. While they may have thrown them, the huge difference is that all of those QBs (minus Fitzpatrick) have taken their teams to the playoffs or Super Bowl with their play. Meanwhile, the only thing Cousins seems to be consistent with is throwing an INT each week and can't even put together 2 consecutive wins as a starter in a season. Once Cousins shows us he can stop throwing to the other jersey consistently and put together a string of wins, then maybe we can talk about progress and comparing stats. Until then it's just laughable.

So now the problem you have isn't the ints but the fact that a qb with less than 16 starts hasn't made the playoffs on a terrible team?

Ok. So I take it that none of these other qbs threw any ints before taking their respective teams to the playoffs.

What's that? No, of course they threw them?

You're right, there's absolutely something laughable here.

So now the problem you have isn't the ints but the fact that a qb with less than 16 starts hasn't made the playoffs on a terrible team?

Ok. So I take it that none of these other qbs threw any ints before taking their respective teams to the playoffs.

What's that? No, of course they threw them?

You're right, there's absolutely something laughable here.

KIrk has shown so far that he can't make up for his mistakes and put the team on his shoulders for a win. (Most of) the other QBs on that "hey this QB threw INTs too!" list have shown that, many of them quite a few times.

KIrk has shown so far that he can't make up for his mistakes and put the team on his shoulders for a win. (Most of) the other QBs on that "hey this QB threw INTs too!" list have shown that, many of them quite a few times.

Well, you know, he did it in 2012. He threw an int deep into Redskins territory on our second possession. He went on to win the game 38-21.

Also he wasn't help on many occasions by the team itself. He had many great performances as a QB all by himself but a crappy surrounding cast notched a L when it should have been a W. And I won't even talk about the last part of 2013 where it was just a crappy situation to be inserted in.

This organisation hasn't been kind to him since he was drafted and mostly wasted him for 3 years IMHO.

Well, you know, he did it in 2012. He threw an int deep into Redskins territory on our second possession. He went on to win the game 38-21.

Also he wasn't help on many occasions by the team itself. He had many great performances as a QB all by himself but a crappy surrounding cast notched a L when it should have been a W. And I won't even talk about the last part of 2013 where it was just a crappy situation to be inserted in.

This organisation hasn't been kind to him since he was drafted and mostly wasted him for 3 years IMHO.

And the best QBs overcome deficiencies in other areas of the team. I have not seen Kirk put the team on his back and lead them to victory. He seems to need a highly functioning run game and a good defense to do well. Which is fine, it just makes him a game manager. Problem is, game managers aren't supposed to turn the ball over much.

He may show that this season. Probably not, but it seems more possible to me than the immediate alternatives doing so at this point in time.

If not, it's not like we lose much, since this team is not ready to compete for anything but a draft pick!

It's this line of thinking that has me wishing they'd open the offense up a bit. Why not?

He may show that this season. Probably not, but it seems more possible to me than the immediate alternatives doing so at this point in time.

If not, it's not like we lose much, since this team is not ready to compete for anything but a draft pick!

It's this line of thinking that has me wishing they'd open the offense up a bit. Why not?

Not sure what the evidence is that they don't have it "open". But if they don't then my answer would probably be "because Gruden wants to keep his job".

The only time we DIDN'T implode during that time was when we were at 3-6 in 2012 ...

I'm with you on your general desire to stop the group hug reaction to losing and start having scarey/psycho messaging to the team ... but the "we" thing doesn't hold water.  Different people on the field, on the sideline and in the owner's box ... the only constant is the ownership and dislike the guy as much as I do you have to be fair and acknowledge that it seems as if he's finally (as in this past off-season) heading in the right direction with a legit GM.  Of course there's plenty of reason to doubt that it's real but until there's proof otherwise ... it looks and feels legit (early significant tests of that ... an offensive lineman as the first round pick, no ill-advised trades, no ill-advised FA investments, none of the usual decisions to draft something flashy, under-performing "star" QB benched, etc.).  The crappy past record isn't an attribute of the current roster ... except perhaps the past couple seasons (2 - 3 years tops) in some small way and even that includes a play-off apperance.  Doesn't mean they aren't currently bad ... just doesn't have any real influence on the current situation.  No more of a factor than the 3 SB trophies in the lobby. 

Lets just all admit it was a bad game by Kirk.  You can slap lipstick on a pig and its still a pig.  If Gruden is smart, he still gives him 8 games, you expect a young guy to have bad games, but you expect if hes good, hes going to bounce back, and by week 8 show some level of consistency.

This right here, when you name your starting QB, you don't waver on the choice, you roll with it. If Kirk is going to be a good QB in this league, he will start to show the signs every week. He has every opportunity to flourish with the running game the Redskins have, that takes major pressure off of him. I don't think Gruden made the wrong decision to go with Kirk, he was playing the best football between the 3 QB's, he just needs good coaching and playing experience to take that next step, and definitely needs to get some wins in the column to get some pressure from the media and doubters off of him.

I pointed this out in other threads, 2012-present the Gnats have 23 wins, 6 against Washington. They are, what, 17-27 against everyone else. They stink and they own us. I feel like we are responsible for the contract Eli got.

The OP, like all of us, should be embarrassed at how the team played yet again on a national stage. It has a lot to do with the reason we are a national punch line who was ranked in at least one power poll as team 32 at the start of the year. Cousins could have scored some points with me if he had personally taken responsibility for the loss, because in all honesty the game was mostly on him. Gruden still needs to learn how to give answers to the media... He should not have said, "Kirk was fine..."'he should have stressed that Kirk missed some plays that he is expected to make and then stressed it was a team loss. He covered for him, but not in a way that will resonate with the rest of the team.

Living in N.J. I watch every Giant and Eagles game. I see the Cowboys and other teams move the ball at will against the Nats and we can't get a first down against them in crunch time. The Nats have our number, no question. We came into last weeks game and everyone in the world knew we were going to run left. So what did the Nats do? Stack the box and run slants to stop the run. Good coaching for them. What did we do? Play into their strengths and loose the game. For years I watched JC not deliver in crunch time and now we have another QB that can't deliver. I see Eli lead the league in interceptions and yet he plays pitch and catch with his receivers against us. I hear on the sports shows all summer how the Nat O line stinks yet we get NO PASS RUSH against them and very little holding calls against them. Very discouraging year after year.

Archived