Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Schefter and PFT: Skins planning to cut Cobra Kai

Dissident2

I didn't know that but can't say I'm surprised. I really hope the new GM's talent evaluation proves to be special because he has done nothing to change our identity from an organizational viewpoint. The constant media leaks remain, laughable public relations, and this is another example.

FO makes better decisions personnel-wise. The other mess, you really expect Scot to be able to clean it up in less than a year?

Larry, I have fond memories of beating the Lions and Barry Sanders too. But in that era, we were a very good defense. I believe Barry's 25/100/1 was better than most running backs did to us. Against most teams, he had more than 1 HR per game to go with the occasional -7 yard run.

But the question wasn't "did we have a better defense, back then?"

The question was, "would you rather have a RB who has one run for 80 yards and a TD, and 24 runs of one yard or less? Or a RB who has 25 carries of 3 yards each?" (And note, I'm picking numbers which make Option 1 average 4 YPC, versus a consistent 3.)

My response is that I'd prefer the consistent 3.

The question was, "would you rather have a RB who has one run for 80 yards and a TD, and 24 runs of one yard or less? Or a RB who has 25 carries of 3 yards each?" (And note, I'm picking numbers which make Option 1 average 4 YPC, versus a consistent 3.)

I didn't think that was the original question in this thread. I would agree that if I knew the HR hitter type would ONLY strike gold once per game, I'd probably go with the consistent player. But that was never mentioned until you presented your single memory of Barry Sanders. In most games, Barry had more than one impactful run (obviously not all were TDs). My point was that cherry picking a game against a top defense where he "only" scored once isn't representative of what he was most weeks.

Bringing it back to the kicker discussion, Forbath would need to be ridiculously consistent inside of 45 yards to make up for bad field position on kick offs. Given that PATs are now 33-yard FGs and kickers are expected to make those, being a 88% guy from 40 or closer isn't really a differentiator in the modern game, especially if that's all you bring to the table.

FO makes better decisions personnel-wise. The other mess, you really expect Scot to be able to clean it up in less than a year?

To have the organization inform a player who has been with the team for 4 seasons that he has been cut rather than him find out through the media. Yea, I would expect that to happen. And as for the rest of it, I would expect some signs that the culture is changing but it seems to be more of a circus than ever.

I am rather curious about the timing and wonder if this was all Scot (I'm going to assume for now these moves are all him). If it was, it makes me wonder why tonight was significantly different than August 30. I realize Kai missed a FG yesterday, but he also didn't really hurt us with kick offs.

I didn't know that but can't say I'm surprised. I really hope the new GM's talent evaluation proves to be special because he has done nothing to change our identity from an organizational viewpoint. The constant media leaks remain, laughable public relations, and this is another example.

Yeah, I was driving around today and had 106.7 on and one of the hosts (Grant or Danny) commented that they texted Kai and he had no idea about these reports that he was getting cut.

To have the organization inform a player who has been with the team for 4 seasons that he has been cut rather than him find out through the media. Yea, I would expect that to happen. And as for the rest of it, I would expect some signs that the culture is changing but it seems to be more of a circus than ever.

like I said, can't stop all leaks in less than a year while also rebuilding. takes time to weed them all out. for all we know this was one such attempt. if still happening 3 years then not enough being done. Fire Wylie is good first step though.

I didn't think that was the original question in this thread. I would agree that if I knew the HR hitter type would ONLY strike gold once per game, I'd probably go with the consistent player. But that was never mentioned until you presented your single memory of Barry Sanders. In most games, Barry had more than one impactful run (obviously not all were TDs). My point was that cherry picking a game against a top defense where he "only" scored once isn't representative of what he was most weeks.

Bringing it back to the kicker discussion, Forbath would need to be ridiculously consistent inside of 45 yards to make up for bad field position on kick offs. Given that PATs are now 33-yard FGs and kickers are expected to make those, being a 88% guy from 40 or closer isn't really a differentiator in the modern game, especially if that's all you bring to the table.

1). You're right. I apologize for bringing up Barry Sanders, as the icon to represent an inconsistent player.

2). And I think Kai is 88% from FIFTY or closer. :)

1). You're right. I apologize for bringing up Barry Sanders, as the icon to represent an inconsistent player.

2). And I think Kai is 88% from FIFTY or closer. :)

Well, not to get all mushy, but I was the one who brought him up originally. So I guess I'm the one who started this mess. And yes, Kai is 88% overall.

Why don't we just start a thread where we discuss how those 80s/90s teams tended to have few stars but also tended to stifle big names from other teams. Those memories make me happy.

Yeah, I was driving around today and had 106.7 on and one of the hosts (Grant or Danny) commented that they texted Kai and he had no idea about these reports that he was getting cut.

It would seem like the Wylie thread could use a bump.

Between Allen Gruden and others at the podium, and the never ending parade of leaks, my lord are we horrible at PR 101. 

This one should be easy to track who leaked it.  That head should roll, too. 

Yesterday we could have used 1 run for 80 and a TD :)

Kai is a dime a dozen player who can, and will, be replaced very easily. He was neither helping nor hurting this team. He just existed and did an average job.

For being a dime a dozen player who can easily be replaced, it's odd how only half the league had kickers that had over an 85% field goal success rate last year. I guess they only have nickels these days.

Anyone who really thinks he is being released simply because he missed a 47 yd FG in a 7 pt game is not very bright. Obviously there is more to it than that. My only problem is that they didn't figure it out before the season started. He should have been replaced by Hocker last year.

He was a nice story but the fact is he was only half a kicker. Yes, he was solid inside 50 yds but he could not get the ball into the EX on KOs. That consistently gave the other team filed position starting more around the 30 than the 20. The difference in pts scored is pretty big.

I've been saying that for a while. But everyone chastised me for it. We've been trading his "accuracy" and 3's but giving up 7's with poor Kickoffs.

The missed FG was unfortunate, but if this happens, I don't quite get it. Hasn't he been generally one of the most accurate kickers we've ever had?

Would much prefer the dismissal of KotWEAKa.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/14/washington-cutting-kicker-kai-forbath-after-loss/

What was Kai's worst miss for us? One that sticks in my memory last year was Philly on the road. I was there that day and we had those ****s. In fact if he kicked it out of the endzone after our first TD as well we'd have never lost that game.

I was also at the Titans game at home and he was money all day that won us that one.

Overall he was accurate. In this day an age though you need someone to put it through the endzone and be able to win the game for you from 50+. Accurate or not he's not a top kicker.

Thanks for the memories though!

Archived