50+ : 2 / 4, 50%

For consideration, here are Gano's stats:

Gano, last 4 years:

1-19 : 0/0

20-29 : 19 / 19, 100%

30-39 : 19 / 21, 90%

40-49 : 18 / 25, 72%

50+ : 8 / 12, 75%

I think we're hoping that we can get another kicker closer to what Gano has developed into with the ability to make the kicks from deep as well as having the leg to kick touchbacks. I think its that simple.

He missed 3 kicks last year.

And they were all long FGs. His numbers are inflated because we know he doesn't have the leg to make a 54 yarder unless its with the wind. A kicker like Gano has lower numbers because he goes out there for a 54 yarder on the chance he makes it. We know Kai's leg is weak so we don't try. It'd be nice to make him into this great story but lets not overinflate. I want a guy who I'm not afraid to kick with when our drive stalls at the 38 and we don't have that in Kai.

I remember during Moseley's last year or two, Gibbs had punter Cox handling the kickoff duties and long field goals. I don't understand (and have felt this way for awhile) why Way couldn't have been groomed to handle kickoffs, with Kai, the most accurate kicker in Redskins history, kept as the placekicker. Strange. 

Thanks for your service Kai.  Hope he gets a shot with a better team.  

I brought up Lohmiller before in another thread, and it was pointed out to me that he missed a lot of FGs.  Same goes for Moseley.  The reason we probably dismiss it, is because they were on teams that kicked a lot of ass so it was less noticeable.  

The kickoffs are a HUGE problem.  With our ST being as bad as it is, the least amount of time we can see them on the field (via Touchback), the better.  Taking away the threat of a KO return is huge.  I think our defense will be much improved, and giving them the chance to make some plays with the opposing team starting at their 20, is a lot better than having the opposition start somewhere near mid-field. 

I think Kai was a servicable kicker, but not someone who I would complain about if cut. 

I remember during Moseley's last year or two, Gibbs had punter Cox handling the kickoff duties and long field goals. I don't understand (and have felt this way for awhile) why Way couldn't have been groomed to handle kickoffs, with Kai, the most accurate kicker in Redskins history, kept as the placekicker. Strange. 

It's the Redskins way...

When is the last time the team announced a roster move without leaking it to the press first? 

How many players in the last several years have heard they are cut or traded via the press instead of our GM? This is the type of stuff I was hoping would end with Scott. Just feels the same...

Fine, then let Tres kick kickoffs, then.  Holy ****, do they realize how much harder it is to kick it between the uprights then it is to just kick the ball as far as you can?

I was saying this throughout the preseason. Way's got a huge leg. There's no law that the kicker has to kick off. This team can be so stubborn about role. Last season, incumbency was locked in stone on a number of positions. No matter how bad the guard play no one was ever given a shot or even a series. Yesterday, DJax goes out and they have no idea how to adjust.  I remember Garcon bringing in some beautiful bombs in his rookie year, Crowder has wheels... yet, without Jackson no one was sent deep? Coaches pretty much admitted they scrapped their plans to go deep a few times when Jackson went out.

Kai tends to hurt himself in trying to kick off long. The answer is let the other guy kick off. He did so fairly effectively when Kai got hurt last year. I do agree that it sounds like the team is seeking a scapegoat. Fact is, the Redskins would have still lost if they got those extra three points.

Anyone who really thinks he is being released simply because he missed a 47 yd FG in a 7 pt game is not very bright. Obviously there is more to it than that.  My only problem is that they didn't figure it out before the season started. He should have been replaced by Hocker last year.

He was a nice story but the fact is he was only half a kicker. Yes, he was solid inside 50 yds but he could not get the ball into the EX on KOs. That consistently gave the other team filed position starting more around the 30 than the 20. The difference in pts scored is pretty big.

I agree with you 100%. The failure to get the ball to the end-zone is the real problem, not the missed field goal.

So if Dustin goes 39/43 on kickoffs for touchbacks, is that good enough?

Then we will complain that he went 20/33 on FG and missed two 20-30 yarders that cost us two games. And those that wanted Kai out will tell you they were firmly against cutting Kai.

Think I summed it up quite well.

Ok Kai is gone. He ain't comin back. Stop crying. Trust GMSM, he might know a thing or two. Let this guy develop along with the rest of the team. He's got a solid leg and very strong attributes, albeit green.

Hopkins leaves Florida State as the most productive kicker in FBS history, scoring a record 466 total points over four seasons. He finished his senior year with a school record 140 points, and his 88 career made field goals set new Florida State and ACC records.

In terms of extra points, Hopkins made 145 straight—the sixth longest streak in NCAA history.

He was a finalist for the Lou Groza award—given to the nation's best kicker—in both his junior and senior seasons. 

Finally, Hopkins delivered 10 tackles, including four solo stops, while covering kickoffs. He is a willing and active tackler who ran the 40-yard dash at 4.74 seconds at the NFL combine. 

A consistent approach and a powerful, accurate leg give Hopkins a chance to be a productive NFL kicker for 10-plus seasons. His ability to lift the football off the ground and both boom and place kickoffs are other pluses that should make Hopkins the first kicker to hear his name called during the 2013 NFL draft. Productive but still improving, he is the safest option at the position in this year's class.

Finally, Hopkins delivered 10 tackles, including four solo stops, while covering kickoffs. He is a willing and active tackler who ran the 40-yard dash at 4.74 seconds at the NFL combine. 

Well at least we will have someone on our kick coverage unit that can tackle. Maybe they are signing this kicker to be the tackling coach as well?

I was saying this throughout the preseason. Way's got a huge leg. There's no law that the kicker has to kick off. This team can be so stubborn about role. Last season, incumbency was locked in stone on a number of positions. No matter how bad the guard play no one was ever given a shot or even a series. Yesterday, DJax goes out and they have no idea how to adjust.  I remember Garcon bringing in some beautiful bombs in his rookie year, Crowder has wheels... yet, without Jackson no one was sent deep? Coaches pretty much admitted they scrapped their plans to go deep a few times when Jackson went out.

Kai tends to hurt himself in trying to kick off long. The answer is let the other guy kick off. He did so fairly effectively when Kai got hurt last year. I do agree that it sounds like the team is seeking a scapegoat. Fact is, the Redskins would have still lost if they got those extra three points.

Our punter is the only good thing about our ST's. You don't want to tire out his leg doing something the vast majority of kickers in the league can do.

Archived