Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why the NFL Has A QB Crisis (WSJ Article)

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-has-a-quarterback-crisis-1441819454

Quick excerpt:

Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi said the new crop of college quarterbacks were flummoxed by a simple question about an “under” front, one of the most common defensive alignments. “Whoa, no one’s ever told me ‘front’ before,” he remembers one prospect saying. “No one’s ever talked to me about reading these defenses.”

I posted this article in the Twitter thread and it got a lot of responses so I figured it should have its own thread. With so many top programs in CFB running spread offenses, it appears that more and more prospects are entering the NFL way way over their heads.

So my questions to you guys:

Should CFB coaches be more concerned with winning with the spread or setting up his kids for professional success?

In the future, will the typical Andrew Luck-type QB be extinct? Will we see more teams adapt to the Tyrod Taylors of the world?

Will we see more rookie QBs start out on the bench like we used to?

Discuss.

College should prepare you for your career or at least expose you to the major theories and give you a foundation. College sports are a bit of a farce. They are not really academic, but an unpaid professional sports' league. Now, usually I side with the idea that the athlete who's getting 100's of thousands of dollars in free education, room, board, and networking opportunities is not "unpaid," but I don't think it's wrong to look at college football as an internship or audition.

If that's the case, then the colleges are doing their athletes a disservice by not teaching them the skills sand theory they need to understand in order to be successful in the professional career they aspire to.

I would say its a bit of both.  Its kind of concerning how many of these guys have very little understanding of how and offense or defense works.  Whats even more surprising to me is why they dont spend their OWN effort in learning these things.  When you are in high school, you are young, you dont think about things like training and going the extra mile as the future is a long way off.  When you are in college and 2 years from the NFL, why in the world would you tell someone "well, no one taught me that" rather than doing everything you could to learn it and get a leg up on your competition.  If you REALLY love football, why wouldnt you want to be the best, and be driven to be better and better?

That said, I dont think it makes too much sense for college coaches to change what they are doing just to help out the NFL.  If the spread system helps your team win more games, that takes MUCH more precedence then whether some guy who doesnt write your paycheck likes your system.  What WILL change this?  Simply put, if college QBs really want to make it into the NFL, they are going to start looking for programs that run a pro-style offense.  So in order to recruit the very best college QBs, teams will have to start running a more pro-style offense, or else be stuck with the second or third best options.

The other option is the last one you mentioned, if you dont like how little they know coming out of college..... STOP THROWING THEM INTO THE FIRE THEIR FIRST SEASON.  The NFL is as much to blame for this as colleges.  You have a guy under contract for 4 years, you can teach him for 2 years to read offenses and defenses, which is probably just as much time as he would get in college, but from better teachers.  If he cant learn it by the 3rd year you know hes not your guy.  Its a long time to invest, but if you do your homework you get Aaron Rodgers, instead of Jamarcus Russel.

It's definitely something that I've pointed out more and more as of late.

The types of offense that these college QBs run now a days are more simple.  To the untrained eye it's a QB making a great throw.  But if you look at the timing of the play there are very few progressions, no footwork, and very few checks and kills made at the LOS by college QBs.

I was having this discussion with a few folks on twitter about Cardale Jones during the Ohio State game on Monday night.  Everyone was losing their minds over "how good of a prospect he is" and I'm like... he's fresh of the cow raw cause of X, Y, and Z.... things that most guys don't even notice or look for.  Not implying I'm a super scout or anything, but it's basic QB stuff.

It's a disservice to the NFL, but when you are winning in college that is all that you are focused on and that is all that matters to those coaches. 

CFB coaches are more concerned about winning with the spread because they know that 99.8%of their players are not going to the NFL. But they should develop them regardless because it is college. I think BIG10 & ACC schools does a far better job overall than SEC schools, despite them being inferior to the SEC. I'm afraid to draft any player from the SEC.

Andrew Luck is a once in a generation type of player. We may have to wait to see another in 10-15 years. But it is amazing the amount of QBs that are playing so poorly in the NFL. It's starting to become normal to see top QB prospect to flop in the nfl. But then again, teams tend to draft QBs in 1st round more than I have ever seen.

I was thinking this on the subway this morning, there really aren't that many winning traditional QBs in the league. There's a glut of average to passable guys that aren't "elite."

They should dissolve college football and just create a spring season minor league for younger players.

College teams are trying to win a college championship, not develop pro players.

Point blank, athletes need to be paid for their services, tuition is chump change for what they produce for these schools and the health risks they take on.

Honestly, the NFL needs to get with the times. Watching Brady and Manning (especially) dink and dunk is boring as ******* ****.

Have to agree with Rodriggo a bit here. Colleges aren't in the business of developing players.  Despite being the defacto minor league system of the NFL, they are in the business of:

1. Winning to satisfy alumni so they continue to get donations and;

2. Make money through playoffs, bowls, away games, etc.

The colleges don't really give a hoot if the players, 1. get an education or not and 2. make it in the pros. 

But I do disagree with Rodriggo on paying the players "huge" sums of money.  But that's for another thread.

I am also guessing that in college you can win a lot of games with more electric offenses because the talent gap is huge. Skill position players that are NFL bound versus future beer truck drivers.  Men vs boys.  Once the playing field is more level you can't get away with the same things.

athlete who's getting 100's of thousands of dollars in free education, room, board, and networking opportunities

Eduation - this is already of debatable value.  The main benefit of college for most kids is that they give you a piece of paper at the end which tells employers they should hire you.   When you take into account that many college athletes aren't exactly smart, and often don't even get the diploma at the end, the true value of this "education" is rather low.  More like four wasted years.

Free room and board - even slaves got this.

Networking opportunities - just as with "education", this is a benefit that some kids benefit from more than others.  You know how people got networking opportunities before the current "everyone goes to college" scam?  At their jobs.

The colleges get billions in TV deals. Time to pay the players already.

The colleges get billions in TV deals. Time to pay the players already.

Only if you agree to pay the student researchers whose work and patents earn colleges prestige or money too. There is an enormous unpaid labor force in colleges. Generally, the athletes are the least abused. If the athlete-student chooses not to take advantage of the free education that's on their heads. If they choose not to take advantage of celebrity, networking, TV time, and all the perks that come with being a big time football or basketball athlete that's wasted money too. 

I completely hate the notion of athlete as slave. I disagree with it fully. For one, they can leave any time. For another, they are getting very well compensated for their work. Ask the student who leaves with 100,000's in student debt that they have to repay if a free ride is worth nothing.

The colleges are certainly using them and there is a reason I think of them as athlete-students vs. student-athletes, but that these players who are generally treated as dieties in our communities and given every perk imaginable are victims is too far. Now, if we're talking lacrosse or college bowlers you might have an argument. ;)

I would say its a bit of both.  Its kind of concerning how many of these guys have very little understanding of how and offense or defense works.  Whats even more surprising to me is why they dont spend their OWN effort in learning these things.  When you are in high school, you are young, you dont think about things like training and going the extra mile as the future is a long way off.  When you are in college and 2 years from the NFL, why in the world would you tell someone "well, no one taught me that" rather than doing everything you could to learn it and get a leg up on your competition.  If you REALLY love football, why wouldnt you want to be the best, and be driven to be better and better?

When exactly are college players supposed to get this extra training and how are they supposed to pay for it?

And is this even legal to do under the NCAA?

I was thinking this on the subway this morning, there really aren't that many winning traditional QBs in the league. There's a glut of average to passable guys that aren't "elite."

But is Flacco elite?

Why should a college coach structure his entire program, effecting hundreds of kids, around making sure a QB who has realistically no chance of playing NFL, has skills in a pro system?

Less than 1% of college players make it to the NFL - that is all positions. I can't even image what the % of QBs make it to the NFL. It must be insanely insignificant.

If a college coach can win a ton of games and give exposure to dozens of his players for potential NFL careers - but not develop a pro-NFL style QB - that actually makes sense to me. 

In the college game what makes money is calling in plays and adjustments to the QB, and beating on Defenses that aren't organised enough to compete.  It's a money maker for them and in our messed up society what should happen takes a distant second place to what makes money.  It won't change.

As for the NFL, can't really complain about the standard of your recruits when you have no involvement in their development.  In fact whinging that there aren't enough QBs who can start day 1 says a lot to me.

I'd be willing to wager not a single cfb coach gives a single thought to how his "system" prepares his players for pro football. That's not his job. The coaches job is to beat their rival, win their conference and a bowl game. Coaches aren't evaluated on pro prospects...they're evAluated on wins...emphasis on rivalries and conf championships.

The spread works...in college. Other offenses in college work for college only...see ga tech. Coaches aren't taking the time to coach up reading defenses either. If u watch any college team play these days, after the offense is set, the entire team looks to the sideline for a play call.

The thought process, presnap reads, post snap reads, audibles, hot routes and check downs are damn near extinct. They're just not being taught.

My hypothesis: the nfl recognizes this...it becomes a rb league again and qbs will be given more time to develop. I just don't believe the league can sustain its pass heavy approach when the qb play is so subpar.

It's a copy cat league. Right now we're still seeing the residual effect of early success of the spread and mobile qbs. Coordinators are too smart and are starting to shut it down.

Personally I think Chip Kelly is ahead of the game. He's basically taking the value out of the QB position by formulating an offense than almost any body with athleticism can run so he can just interchange guys over and over.

Problem is, I doubt it's easily replicated.

That's not at all what Chip Kelly is doing or how his offense works. The success of his offense -- like any offense -- is predicated on quick, smart decision making and accurate throws. Which is why he keeps moving pieces to upgrade and find the right fit there. It's not like he's running plays the rest of the league isn't running.

I read that Chips system is predicated on making life simple for the QB. There is no "smart" decision for the QB, as Chip is taking the guesswork out of it via his play calling.

College QBs are obviously woefully unprepared to the NFL game, but the NFL coaches are almost woefully unprepared when deciding what to do about it.   Coaches seem to be adapting. See RG3 in 2012. Cam, Wilson, Kap. And now, Chip is trying to take it to the next level. Goober.

Otherwise,

square_peg_round_hole.jpg

As many have already said College coaches should only worry about winning games not tailoring their program to serve the NFL and less then 1% of QB's that actually make it.   If you are a QB and consider yourself part of that 1% then feel free to commit to a pro style program. 

I think asking if college should tailor for the NFL is backwards thinking.   As the Bill Parcells said, innovation in football starts from the ground up.   Innovation typically starts in HS  then college and the NFL has always been the last to adapt.  There are only 32 jobs in the NFL and everyone is so scared to try something new for fear of getting fired.  That's why its the copy cat league.  A majority of the NFL coaches are "football guys" that have been doing the same thing for decades.   In college and even more so HS there is more job security, job opportunity and because of the gap in talent between programs you often times have to think outside the box.  Thus innovation.   So to me the real question is not- Should CFL stop teaching the spread, but it should be when will the NFL adopt it.   Its a copy cat league and if Chip Kelly has his way  expect to see guys like Urban Meyer, Art Briles, Rich Rod, Kevin Sumlin  get serious offers from the NFL.

The thing that kills me is that in college, you see a lot of this:

1. Operating in the hurry up.

2. The team lines up based on a call from the coach.

3. Team is set.  QB waits 2 seconds then looks at the sideline

4. Coach signals in the read progression/play a second time.

5. QB executes play.

This makes it impossible for the QB to actually learn to read a defense.  The coaches are doing it.  And it's maddening.

I know there's no real good way of doing it, but if there was some way of eliminating that communication, I'd be all for it.  Again, not really possible.  But it kills the QBs ability to practice lining up the team, reading the defense, making changes at the LOS, and then executing the play.

Why should a college coach structure his entire program, effecting hundreds of kids, around making sure a QB who has realistically no chance of playing NFL, has skills in a pro system?

Less than 1% of college players make it to the NFL - that is all positions. I can't even image what the % of QBs make it to the NFL. It must be insanely insignificant.

If a college coach can win a ton of games and give exposure to dozens of his players for potential NFL careers, but not develop a pro-NFL style QB - that actually makes sense to me. 

Great post. I would also add what I consider to be a pretty big element as well...

Who would be the one defining what is and is not a NFL skill set? How would we expect all of these college coaches to tailor their system to what 32 disparate organizations might try to do each fall? What about the trickle down effect...do we then expect high school programs to run pro style offenses to keep up with colleges?

The only thing that is incumbent on these coaches to help these kids win games and prepare them for the real world. The vast majority of the players won't sniff the NFL, so what are they getting out of this paradigm shift? I think the NFL should follow college, to be honest. It's the job of those coaches to figure out how to win with the crop of players that are flowing up through the system. Maybe the teams/league should come up with a training program or revert back to the "good old days" of the 1980s when we didn't expect a wishbone QB from Nebraska to start a NFL game 4 months after he graduates. Let these guys sit for a couple years (you aren't paying them $60M anymore) and learn.

a good example of the trickle up effect was Charlie Strong going from a traditional pro style of offense to the spread this year.   After recruiting in the state of Texas he noticed that all of the top tier programs in the state all run the spread.   Perhaps a bad example because Texas' offense looks horrible now, but it is the right move and should benefit the program in years to come.

Can't realistically put this on the college ranks to correct.  They really aren't there to be the NFL minor league ... they are there to generate a ton of money for the schools.  They aren't going to do anything that does't improve their ability to do that.

the NFL needs to come to terms with this ... maybe a special roster position for a QB-in-training (who doesn't play)? Looked back at the "top" QBs from past few years of the draft ... yeah ... really not all that special. Ocassionally ... more like rarely there's a guy who's pretty close to ready to go but really not much there. The huge salaries, lack of do-no-harm learning situations (to the win-loss column as well as the player's health) ... its a real problem. Good post BRAVEONTHEWARPATH83

That's not at all what Chip Kelly is doing or how his offense works. The success of his offense -- like any offense -- is predicated on quick, smart decision making and accurate throws. Which is why he keeps moving pieces to upgrade and find the right fit there. It's not like he's running plays the rest of the league isn't running.

I'm not saying it's easy but it's easier to find a guy that can make quick decisions (and that in itself is a challenge as we've seen here recently) and not **** up than to turn a dude into a pocket passer.

Archived