Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Roster Cuts OP updated - TE McCoy signed - Everett cut - PS: Cofield, Delaire, Dunbar, Plummer, Bates, Hamm, Trey, Crawford, Agnew

DC9

Yeah. This pick was my biggest head scratcher of the draft. Using a 6th rounder on a guy that caught 52 passes in a 4 year college career made no sense to me. They could have had him as a FA most likely. But your not going to hit on all of your picks. Thats just how it is.

I assume it had to do with our poor kick/punt coverage.

Adding onto that, we didn't/don't have much room for another pass catcher. With that said, yes, good chance we could have gotten him as an UDFA...

Ultimately, I don't have a problem with them targeting a special teams guy (maybe somewhat akin to signing Hayward - also valued far more for ST than what he would bring to his position group).

My confusion continues. T for Tackle, or T for Tom.

Paul Conner retweeted

Injury report: T. Compton DNP (calf), R. Griffin III limited (concussion), F. Kearse full (shoulder). WATCH LIVE: http://redsk.in/1MerCvJ

If it was T for Tackle, then wouldn't it also have the other player's positions listed (i.e. QB Griffin instead of R. Griffin) ?

7 of 10 picks made the roster or practice squad. Mitchell would be on IR if not for the Colts. Reiter and Spencer were late round picks. So all in all, not bad.

Would have been 8 if not for the Colts.

My goodness, I would hope a 4 win team could come up with draft picks in the first 5 rounds who are capable of making the roster.

The bar seems to be getting lower and lower around here. 

Is "all in all, not bad" the bar now?

The bar being any kind of quality assessment off of 5th round pics being good enough to make the opening day roster.

7 of the 8 Packers draft picks made their roster, with the 8th to the practice squad.

9 of 11 Patriots choices made the roster, with another having been traded.

The Seahawks matched our 7 of 10.

So, much, much deeper rosters than ours were able to hold on to more draft picks than us. So, yeah, I consider "not bad" to be too much praise for 7 of 10 making it to opening day.

it would have been eight out of ten if you could just put injured players on IR during camp.  

Or if we cared enough about him to use a pre-final cut roster spot on him. Deciding we were comfortable risking him so we had the room to hold onto the likes of Colin Lockett and Takoby Cofield for another week isn't a ringing endorsement of his value.

Or if we cared enough about him to use a pre-final cut roster spot on him. Deciding we were comfortable risking him so we had the room to hold onto the likes of Colin Lockett and Takoby Cofield for another week isn't a ringing endorsement of his value.

no one does that

Oh, no one does it? My bad then.

I guess I got fooled by the multiple teams who do it every year. Sorry about that.

I'd like some examples please, because if this was the case then I think there'd have been less complaining about the whole claiming a waived injured player.  If people frequently held onto people and put them on IR later then there wouldn't be enough happenings for that unwritten rule to get noticed.

Or are you saying let him heal to play on the actual roster this season?

I'd like some examples please, because if this was the case then I think there'd have been less complaining about the whole claiming a waived injured player.  If people frequently held onto people and put them on IR later then there wouldn't be enough happenings for that unwritten rule to get noticed.

First off there is no "unwritten rule". That's nonsense. If you allow teams a chance to pick up a player, and those teams think that player is worth being picked up then they are doing their JOBS by picking the up. Blaming the other organizations for not doing you a favor is pathetic.

A couple examples of rookies who were hurt before the 75 man cutdown, kept on their roster and then placed on IR (this year):

Tampa- Kenny Bell

Baltimore- Lorenzo Taliaferro

Detroit- Alex Carter

My goodness, I would hope a 4 win team could come up with draft picks in the first 5 rounds who are capable of making the roster.

The bar seems to be getting lower and lower around here. 

A 4 win team called the Redskins did that.  They kept all 6 of them.  I think one is being overly negative if its not "good enough" for them to keep the first 7 draft picks on the roster.  Id say its a good thing we kept exactly as many draft picks as the Seahawks and Packers.

A 4 win team called the Redskins did that.  They kept all 6 of them.  I think one is being overly negative if its not "good enough" for them to keep the first 7 draft picks on the roster.  Id say its a good thing we kept exactly as many draft picks as the Seahawks and Packers.

EDIT: I am going to make one effort to explain myself in place of my previous response here.

What you're doing here (and others kind of did as well) is basically a straw man. I never said anything wasn't "good enough" and I didn't criticize anything. What I said was keeping 7 of 10 draft picks is nothing to celebrate. We should expect at least that much, and there's nothing about that number that deserves any particular mention as if we've accomplished something by it. We have actually bested that percentage in many years that have turned out to be disastrous drafts.

For the record, Seattle and Green Bay both have much deeper rosters and they both drafted much later than us (not to mention Green Bay having two less picks). Us keeping the same number of draftees is, if anything, a negative.

On the other hand, I remember how in many of the Vinny years our draft picks all made the team every year. Of course, they were never heard from in the season and almost all of them were cut the next year or in two years.

Maybe because of that I take an odd pride in some draft picks getting cut. I want everyone to earn their position. If we added seven good/contributing players (should have been 8 if not for Indy) then that's good. The question isn't really how many we keep, but who's a keeper.

Archived