Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zimbabwe: Minnesota Man Being Sought For Lion Poaching

@DCGoldPants

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/31/us/illegal-animal-trade/index.html?sr=twac0801griffinanimaltrade

The government's most macabre collection

Not far from Denver's abandoned Stapleton International Airport sits what's probably the saddest, most macabre collection of property owned by the U.S. government.

Officially, it's called the National Wildlife Property Repository.

In reality, it holds thousands of confiscated animal items that Americans and others have tried to illegally import into the United States.

There's shelf after shelf of tiger heads, and even a stuffed tiger fetus.

There are tons of crushed ivory, bizarre and worthless medicines made from illegally poached and imported animals.

There are dozens of ivory horns from elephants. And there are horns from the endangered black rhino.

There's even a baby rhino hoof, made into a pencil holder.

Are you telling me this guy with his buckshot isn't tough?

That looks like some guy I remember from the 70s who **** on himself to avoid being drafted before becoming an accomplished pedophile.

Actually, the correct term is ephebophile.

Delta, United, and American Airlines to big game hunters: We're not shipping your 'trophies' anymore

The fallout from Cecil the lion's death continues.

Delta Airlines announced on Monday that it would no longer ship hunting trophies — as in, dead animal parts — from lions, leopards, elephants, rhinoceroses, and buffaloes. Shortly after Delta's announcement, United Airlines and American Airlines said they were ending big game trophy shipments as well.

The bans are all effective immediately.

“Effective immediately, Delta will officially ban shipment of all lion, leopard, elephant, rhinoceros and buffalo trophies worldwide as freight,” Delta's statement read. “Prior to this ban, Delta’s strict acceptance policy called for absolute compliance with all government regulations regarding protected species. Delta will also review acceptance policies of other hunting trophies with appropriate government agencies and other organizations supporting legal shipments.”

Delta's announcement is an an especially big deal, because, as the New York Times explains, Americans make up the bulk of tourists who travel to Africa to hunt big game, and Delta is the only US airline that operates direct flights to South Africa. 

The bans put Delta, American, and United in the company of several other airlines that have banned big game trophy shipments, including British Airways, Air France, KLM, Singapore Airways, Lufthansa, Air Emirates, Iberia Airlines, IAG Cargo, Qantas.

Click on the link for the full article

In Zimbabwe, We Don’t Cry for Lions

Winston-Salem, N.C. — MY mind was absorbed by the biochemistry of gene editing when the text messages and Facebook posts distracted me.

So sorry about Cecil.

Did Cecil live near your place in Zimbabwe?

Cecil who? I wondered. When I turned on the news and discovered that the messages were about a lion killed by an American dentist, the village boy inside me instinctively cheered: One lion fewer to menace families like mine.

My excitement was doused when I realized that the lion killer was being painted as the villain. I faced the starkest cultural contradiction I’d experienced during my five years studying in the United States.

Did all those Americans signing petitions understand that lions actually kill people? That all the talk about Cecil being “beloved” or a “local favorite” was media hype? Did Jimmy Kimmel choke up because Cecil was murdered or because he confused him with Simba from “The Lion King”?

In my village in Zimbabwe, surrounded by wildlife conservation areas, no lion has ever been beloved, or granted an affectionate nickname. They are objects of terror.

Saw that article. In the end, you're in their territory (not by choice but nevertheless) so yeah, they will probably win a hand to hand battle. Same reason I don't feel bad for swimmers who get attacked by sharks. Water is their territory, not yours.

That being said, I've seen some people with RIP Cecil as their Facebook profile picture. That is utterly ridiculous. 

I kind of feel sorry for that person who wrote the opinion piece. Lions or Sharks or Snakes aren't Villains. They aren't sitting around planning to terrorize humans for some evil gain. They are all about survival.

Yeah, we can wipe animals off the face of the earth. We have that power as humans. However, Nature is still batting 1.000 and in the long run, if we **** it up enough. Nature can survive on the lowest of levels while we die off or have to leave. 

So......sorry about your village, Goodwell Nzou. Lions are going to stalk other animals that you're keeping. 

As far as ****ing about "don't tell me what to do". It's your country who is upset also. So, take issue with the laws that were in place before getting on us about all our ****ed up habits. We know we have them. You see it fought out all the time in Washington with science deniers claiming Man would be arrogant to think we have an impact on these type of things.

Vandals attack vacation home of dentist who killed Cecil

MARCO ISLAND, Fla. (AP) — Police in southwest Florida say vandals spray painted the words “lion killer” on the garage door of the vacation home owned by a Minnesota dentist who has been identified as the hunter who killed Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe.

Marco Island police Capt. David Baer says the vandals also left at least seven pickled pigs’ feet on the driveway of Walter Palmer’s $1.1 million home. Baer says police have opened an investigation.

A hand-made sign criticizing Palmer was left in the yard last week. A security company has been hired to protect the property.

Officials in Zimbabwe have said they’ll seek the extradition of Palmer, alleging he lacked authorization to kill Cecil last month. Palmer has said he relied on professional guides to ensure his hunting was legal.

Not helping your cause, idiots.

Are you telling me this guy with his buckshot isn't tough?

That looks like some guy I remember from the 70s who **** on himself to avoid being drafted before becoming an accomplished pedophile.

I didn't know (or forgot) The Nuge adopted a 17 year old for....you know...the ****ing. Wow. What a deviant.

http://news.yahoo.com/zimbabwes-mugabe-rages-against-killing-cecil-lion-135104785.html

Zimbabwe's Mugabe rages against killing of Cecil the lion

Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe on Monday criticised the killing of Cecil the Lion, saying the animal was a key part of the country's heritage.

"Our wildlife, all our animals, belong to us. They should not be shot with a gun or with an arrow," Mugabe told thousands who gathered at a shrine on the outskirts of the capital Harare to commemorate Heroes' Day.

"Even Cecil the lion is yours. He is dead. He was yours to protect and he [was] there to protect you," said the ageing president, who is often the target of condemnation over the country's human rights record.

In his speech Monday, Mugabe lashed out at foreigners he said were destroying his country's wildlife and other natural resources.

"There are vandals who come from all over. Of course some may be just ordinary visitors but others want to vandalise, to irregularly and illegally acquire part of these resources."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-33818391#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The big business of trophy hunting in Iran

The furore over the killing by a US dentist of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe has thrown a spotlight on trophy hunting - but while Africa is commonly associated with the sport, American enthusiasts are finding another popular hunting destination - the Islamic Republic of Iran.

Every year, Iran's Environment Protection Agency issues about 500 licences to foreign visitors to hunt rare and protected breeds.

Many of these hunters come from the US, despite the absence of diplomatic relations and a state of tension between the two countries for the past 35 years.

They have been heading there since the US Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (Ofac) made it legal for US agencies to book hunting tours to Iran more than a decade ago.

For Iran and the companies organising the tours, trophy hunting is big business.

Affluent foreign visitors pay about $15,000 for the chance to hunt a Transcaspian Urial, and as much as $20,000 for the chance to bag another rare sheep called the Laristan Mouflon.

For nationalists, the revenue generated by hunting seems to outweigh any concerns about the numbers of American and other foreign hunters coming to Iran in search of rare species.

But for conservationists, it is a matter of increasing dismay.

Iran is home to a diverse range of wildlife, from bears and gazelles to Caspian seals and rare snakes.

But the country's wildlife is under severe strain. Urban development and hunting have all but destroyed some of the rare species that once roamed Iran.

As many as 120 Iranian breeds are on the International Union for the Conservation of Nature's Red List of Threatened Species.

Most famous of these are the Iranian cheetah, of which only 50 still survive, and the Persian leopard, now numbering about 5,000.

Before we are done, pretty much every species will be extinct. It's just the way we are and it's what our religions teach us to do.

Oh well...

Yes, blame religion. Because it makes you feel good to blame somebody else. How about blaming humans for a change? I got news, we aren't inherently good.

Yeah it's not like they're being vague when handing us dominion over the earth and all that lives on it.
and given that human beings ARE inherently flawed and typically will do pretty much ANYTHING so long as the next higher up approves,,   why is it so hard to admit that the premise that we OWN the earth rather than being a PART of it has not served us, and in particular, most of our fellow 'creations' very well at all.

It's only relatively recently that we as a species are discovering our impact on the place.

And it isn't good.

Problem is, this selfish notion of ownership is still being used as an excuse to poison ourselves... and of course, all of the other things that live here too.

~Bang

Yes, blame religion. Because it makes you feel good to blame somebody else. How about blaming humans for a change? I got news, we aren't inherently good.

Plato would agree with you.

To me its very simple. If a animal population needs to be managed, then let hunters do it. It serves a purpose. If an animal population is to low and cannot be sustained, then protect it and don't permit hunting. But if a conservation agency says, "10 lions got to go this year" Then issue 10 hunting permits at 50,000 a permit and use that money for your conservation efforts. What's the problem with this?

Yes Poachers are scum of the earth and should be prosecuted. But the rule of law needs to apply.

Yeah it's not like they're being vague when handing us dominion over the earth and all that lives on it.

and given that human beings ARE inherently flawed and typically will do pretty much ANYTHING so long as the next higher up approves,,   why is it so hard to admit that the premise that we OWN the earth rather than being a PART of it has not served us, and in particular, most of our fellow 'creations' very well at all.

It's only relatively recently that we as a species are discovering our impact on the place.

And it isn't good.

Problem is, this selfish notion of ownership is still being used as an excuse to poison ourselves... and of course, all of the other things that live here too.

~Bang

The premise that man has dominion should lead us to be good stewards of the earth, not destroy it. Its God's creation, not ours. Indifference and greed are the culprits your looking for, not religion.

It's no biggie if we destroy the environment and cause wholesale extinctions, because this is all just a test. Our eternal glory awaits in heaven and SuperGodDude will fix it all up anyway.

Archived