Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zimbabwe: Minnesota Man Being Sought For Lion Poaching

@DCGoldPants

Go't DAMN we are good at killin' ****.

USA! USA! USA!

~Burp

Yeah, because every American went over and killed a lion.

Maybe read the posts here and all over the internet to see how the majority of folks think.

But hey, like these type of posts scream:

Look at me!!!  Look at me!!!! I'm better than all regular 'mericans!!!!

Hunting endangered, vulnerable, and threatened species is shameful and I think it should be illegal in all circumstances.

But I hate the way mobs on the internet smear people and damage small businesses. People want to ruin his business? What about any of the other people that work there? Mobs are unavoidably stupid, harmful, and unjust. This man broke the law, let the courts handle the justice.

Yeah, because every American went over and killed a lion.

Maybe read the posts here and all over the internet to see how the majority of folks think.

But hey, like these type of posts scream:

Look at me!!!  Look at me!!!! I'm better than all regular 'mericans!!!!

I wonder if anything i said is false.

I don't think so. 

Whether you like the perception or not doesn't change it.

Americans not killin' **** all over the world might, though. People, endangered animals,neighbors, strangers.. doesn't matter.. we kill'em.

Whether your delicate little sensibilities can handle it or not, the world sees this entire thing as "rich american goes and senselessly kills".

Again.

~Bang

I'll reiterate: The guy is a douchebag ****.

I think, even without the legal system, he's paying for it though. Gaining the ire of the internet, and becoming a global pariah can be pretty rough. That's what happens when you do stupid, immoral **** in the internet age, though.

Poachers are scum.

I think the thing you might not understand is that in many hunts like this, the guides do all the work. The Hunter simply takes the shot. Depending on the hunter depends on how deeply involved in the process he is. Some want to know every little detail and participate in everything other just want to pull the trigger and go have a beer. So yes, I need other details to make a judgment about what happened. I am not saying he is right or wrong. So you have the fact that he obtained the proper licenses for the hunt, but you also have how it was conducted. Once again, how can anyone say what exactly happened without knowing more information is beyond me. Yes it is a shame that this animal was killed when it should not have been. But let's not act like big game hunting, specifically lions, is illegal.

The problem I have with this reasoning is that this man was an experienced hunter; this was not some Joe Blow on his first exotic hunt.  I also think you are making this guy out to be way more naive than he very likely is.  Sadly, I have an uncle (ironically, a dentist as well) who does these types of hunts (which I totally disagree with and will never understand) and these guys are VERY familiar with the laws of the countries they are hunting in.  When you are hunting in a country where the penalty for poaching is often death, you study up on the laws, the guide service you are using, the animal population and pretty much everything else under the sun that you are going to be involved in.  They don't just show up and shoot:  these guys aren't stupid and I'm not buying this hunter's pleas of ignorance.  That's bullcrap. 

This is so true. I've been all over Africa on safari (for photos and memories, not for bloodlust), and lions are just about the most passive, inert, and inactive animals around. I've seen hundreds sleeping. I've maybe seen three standing up. No "sport" at all.

Having been on a few African safaris (Chobe and Kruger), I agree with you on this.  Every time we'd come across prides, they were lazing around in the shade, or snacking on their water buffalo kill or something or just plain sleeping and snoring.  They were never skittish or trying to hide from us or anything like that.  On most occasions the guide drove our open-air jeep right up to them and parked about 10 yards away so we could take pics.  Obviously they are dangerous, not like I'd ever get out of the car and try to pet them, but it never seemed to me like they'd be that difficult to hunt.  I would say the only part to the "sport" would be walking around (on your feet, not in a jeep), tracking the lion/pride.  And of course you have to be a good shot with the bow, but other than that, I'm pretty confident deer would be more difficult to pin down and kill.

I'll reiterate: The guy is a douchebag ****.

I think, even without the legal system, he's paying for it though. Gaining the ire of the internet, and becoming a global pariah can be pretty rough. That's what happens when you do stupid, immoral **** in the internet age, though.

Poachers are scum.

With that said,, it sure BETTER be him.

This sort of internet vigilantism can be very dangerous.

Regardless of this guy,,   people are very ready to be outraged and are very self righteous behind their keyboards.

After the ambush murder of two cops in NYC a few months ago, i noticed more than one post on facebook about this other supposed killer on his way to NY who had supposedly written all these threats and was on his way to carry it out..  had this guy's picture, name, what he drove.. shared all over the place.

And all i could think was how easy it would be to put something like that out there.. get some poor sap executed.

~Bang

This sort of internet vigilantism can be very dangerous.

~Bang

I think he has admitted his role in the lion's death at this point...and said he feels badly.

I agree with your general thought here though, internet vigilantism is pretty scary. 

I think he has admitted his role in the lion's death at this point...and said he feels badly.

I agree with your general thought here though, internet vigilantism is pretty scary.

Oh. He feels badly? Poor dentist, feeling badly after most of the vigilant internet decided to hunt him down, shoot him with a crossbow, track him many miles and the put him out of his misery. Only to chop off his head and take the skin from his body.

I feel so badly for this man.

Not.

Oh. He feels badly? Poor dentist, feeling badly after most of the vigilant internet decided to hunt him down, shoot him with a crossbow, track him many miles and the put him out of his misery. Only to chop off his head and take the skin from his body.

I feel so badly for this man.

Not.

I didn't say I feel badly for this guy at all.   In fact, I'm disgusted with him and have made that pretty clear.  I've also made clear that I don't care that he is being publicly shamed and his Yelp page is overrun with comments.

That said, I don't feel he should be getting death threats over the internet and I do feel that internet vigilantism can be dangerous.

I didn't say I feel badly for this guy at all. In fact, I'm disgusted with him and have made that pretty clear. I've also made clear that I don't care that he is being publicly shamed and his Yelp page is overrun with comments.

That said, I don't feel he should be getting death threats over the internet and I do feel that internet vigilantism can be dangerous.

I wasn't arguing you at all. In fact I think that we are in complete agreement on this topic.

Just adding commentary.

He admitted through his lawyers that it was him. He also claims to have some papers for a legal hunt.

Then again, he's been caught twice lying when it comes to hunting/fishing and the laws in the US. So, while I don't think he's lying that it was him. I don't believe anything else he'll be saying to claim ignorance. 

Never fails.  If an animal cause rises to enough popularity someone always, always, shows up to tell you that you don't care about humans.  Today's lesson in "how dare you care about animals" comes from the Huffington Post, who would like include racism in the discussion.  Because you're all racists... well those of you that are white anyway.   

We Weep For African Lions. But What About Black Lives?

Because, you know, #AllLivesMatter, right?

After American dentist Walter Palmer was identified as Cecil the lion's shooter, outrage -- and demand for him to be held accountable -- came quickly.

In less than 24 hours, Palmer's past felony record was exposed, he was bombarded with criticism on social media, and his dental practice was abruptly shuttered for an undetermined length of time. Palmer has since gone into hiding as the Zimbabwean government says it would like to speak to him. And some people are speculating that he could be extradited to face trial over there.

Social media response from white Americans has never been this intense for #BlackLivesMatter. 

Laments for Cecil were, sadly, much more heart-rending than the outcries for black lives lost. Uproar over the famous lion's death almost instantly reached the late-night talk show circuit. On Tuesday, Jimmy Kimmel choked back tears as he discussed the killing of endangered animals on his show. Singer Ariana Grande was equally hurt over the loss.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cecil-black-lives_55b9482ce4b095423d0dc4d5?

I think it's a fair point in general.  Personally, I think lions are awesome and all. but I do not get the online frenzy over it.  

To me they're cool animals...but not much more.

If this guy had gone to Zimbabwe and shot 50 kids dead, I doubt we would be seeing anywhere near the outrage or the discussion about it.

I think it's a fair point in general. Personally, I think lions are awesome and all. but I do not get the online frenzy over it.

If this guy had gone to Zimbabwe and shot 50 kids dead, I doubt we would be seeing anywhere near the outrage or the discussion about it.

Ummm, yes, we would.

I must've missed the riots in Minnesota or the hunting lodge that was bombed In response to the lion being killed.

It's really too bad that I'm such a one dimensional creature, otherwise I'm sure I would have been both outraged and heart broken to hear that yet another cop executed a fellow human being in Cincinnati at the same time I would have experienced disgust at Walter Palmer. I might even be mad enough to say the cop and Palmer deserve the same fate for unjustly killing something/someone innocent. To be honest though, I might not even be able to care that some rich douche bag has killed both an extremely endangered rhino as well as an endangered lion because that's too complex for my limited emotional range and minuscule attention span never mind caring that a fellow American was killed in dubious fashion.

**** it, maybe I'll just go get some Arby's.

I think it's a fair point in general.  Personally, I think lions are awesome and all. but I do not get the online frenzy over it.  

You're kidding, right?

I wanted even more on Boko Haram, but it was covered very aggressively in the beginning.  

It's an ugly story. Frankly, with this type of "kill" and the difficulty of this kind of "hunt" shooting with a camera would have taken the same skill and earned better glory. Going after an animal totally used to humans who has a tracker in it? That's not gamesmanship or a hunt, it's just killing.

I think it's a fair point in general. Personally, I think lions are awesome and all. but I do not get the online frenzy over it.

It's not a fair point at all actually.

to get back on topic.

Cecil The Lion’s Memorial Fundraiser Led By Jimmy Kimmel Has Already Raised A Huge Amount Of Money

The charity’s director David McDonald confirmed to The Wrap the plea brought 2,600 donations in the first 24 hours, with the amount of money raised totaling over $150,000 and growing. “The email deluge is overwhelming us, we thank you sincerely,” McDonald said.

I wanted to say it so bad, but I didn't want to go first. lol

Well, think of it this way. There are way too many humans in the world. Right now, there are more tigers living in captivity or as pets than in the wild. The Human population today is estimated to be over 7 billion while the lion population may be less than 25 thousand.

We are failing in the duty given us to be shepherds of this world. I think we can afford some sympathy for the beasts we drive into extinction, esp. through poaching and malice. The way elephants are killed with cyanide, for example, is truly sick and gruesome. They seed the feeding grounds with poison so that they the beasts burn themselves out from the inside out. Then the poachers come to collect the ivory.

http://worldlionday.com/african-lion/

I do feel bad for the lion and lions in general, but I HATE the social media backlash. The man has a business and assuming a family to clothe, feed and support and the internet, not only this time, chooses to go hysterical and destroy a man's livelihood and reputation. 

I want to see how many of these a-holes tearing him down on Yelp and peddling his name on the internet drive gas-guzzling SUVs and get in their cars to drive across parking lots, don't recycle, or moved into a subdivision that destroyed a way station for the monarch butterfly or watershed for migrating birds. 

Internet self-righteousness is out of control.

Don't want backlash don't kill endangered animals.

http://news.yahoo.com/hunting-lions-africa-ultimate-experience-120202447.html

Michler, who made a documentary film called "Blood Lions" that came out this year, said nearly 1,000 lions that are bred in captivity in South Africa are fatally shot every year by trophy seekers for an average of about $20,000, and sometimes up to $50,000, in conditions that can hardly be described as sporting. There is also an increasing phenomenon of lion owners charging tourists, many from Europe but also Australia and the United States, to pet and cuddle cubs earmarked for trophy kills when they get older, he said.

South Africa maintains that its legal hunting industry adheres to international agreements and actually contributes to the welfare of species, including lion, elephant and rhino.

Hunting "is a source of much needed foreign exchange, job creation, community development and social upliftment," Environment Minister Edna Molewa said in a July 23 statement. She welcomed a decision by the cargo division of South African Airways, the national carrier, to lift an embargo on the transport of legally acquired hunting trophies of lion, elephant, rhino and tiger.

Archived