Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Submitted ONES, 2015 Official PRE_SEASON/Camp Twitter Thread: The will to win on the field starts now. (NO RG3 POSTS!)

SWFLSkins

Doesn't seem like a McCloughan type of move. He's always put emphasis on character and how he wouldn't risk guys who could put the team name in a bad light.

Interesting though. Really good player but I'm just not comfortable with his off field issues at all.

Can we quit it with the whole "character" thing? It gets really old and that approach certainly hasn't worked for us. This would be an absolute steal for us. Cowboys got a top tier pass rusher with worse issues with a 10 game suspension reduced to 4 and looking to be reduced again. Whatever his issues his teammates voted him captain and I can't imagine he would get in any worse trouble than Hardy. SOMEONE is going to take advantage of his skills and get a productive pass rusher in his prime, why shouldn't it be us when he'll likely come relatively cheap and be on his best behavior 

It could be they are bringing him in as due diligence, to check on those issues and see if he really is as New Orleans claims, or they are just cleaning out more players.  If it costs you 2 hours of your time and you send him packing, no big deal.

Doesn't seem like a McCloughan type of move. He's always put emphasis on character and how he wouldn't risk guys who could put the team name in a bad light.

Interesting though. Really good player but I'm just not comfortable with his off field issues at all.

Well, in one way this is true. But on the other hand, McCloughan is the type of man who would understand the value of 2nd and even 3rd chances, when given to the right person. We won't know how he really feels about character risks until he's got a longer track record with us--tomorrow could be the start of that track record, especially if he's willing to sign a cheap deal.

Also remember that Gruden came from the Bengals organization, where they've had a ton of success "rehabilitating" character risks.

Kerrigan looks like he'll eventually be an absurd republican senator. I love having a straight laced, business only, drama free ass kicker being our star anchor defensive player though. He's incredible. Plays every snap, doesn't wear down and creates ****loads of problems for the opposition. Been a hell of a long time since we've had a player like this on D. Seriously, no shame in his game and top three in the league and just getting better.

Seriously? **** that asshole. If you go to temple and get in trouble, you're looking for it. Why do y'all think it's even a possibility? Murphy did far better than we give credit and we drafted Smith. Plus we have depth.

I wouldn't even have thought it was possible, hadn't crossed my mind for a second...but he's visiting tomorrow. Don't get the impression McCloughan is a guy who enjoys wasting his own time, so they must have some interest.

I wouldn't even have thought it was possible, hadn't crossed my mind for a second...but he's visiting tomorrow. Don't get the impression McCloughan is a guy who enjoys wasting his own time, so they must have some interest.

that blows. I will say, although they have been valuing character, he signed Sherman. And hit. It's also the nfl, which has proven above the law and isn't in the moral business.

I wish I didn't live it. Goodell is awful. If they ban all the criminals, they'll have a good second league. He is so full of shot though.

I'm kinda on the other side. I'd probably feel differently if I had kids, what with the whole role model angle. But I don't, and have always seen professional athletes as gladiators. They're playing a sport for our entertainment, I don't get too wrapped up in who they are off the field unless it negatively impacts what they're doing on the field. I have a feeling, even outside of the obvious examples like Riggins drinking and Manley's coke habit, that the SB teams we all idolize had some real horrible people on them, even under Gibbs, that the media didn't have the reach to expose back then. Today is different, of course, and so are our expectations.

All I know, from what I've read, is that Galette is all of a sudden being labeled a cancer by an organization that gave him TWO raises, each a year earlier than they had to, on a team that elected him a captain last year. Say what you will about the off-field stuff (which we don't really know about), but it seems clear that until it served their agenda, the Saints thought Galette was a fine teammate (similar to the Eagles having to justify cutting Desean).

Nah, I'm with ya. Sort of. I'm a very opinionated person who stands by his principles. Usually. I do dog rescue and refused to watch a game the year Vick came back. I boycotted the SB last time Steelers were in it, cause I have friends who went to school with Ben. There is so much I hate about the NFL.

Hey I love the game and our gladiators.

Seriously? **** that asshole. If you go to temple and get in trouble, you're looking for it. Why do y'all think it's even a possibility? Murphy did far better than we give credit and we drafted Smith. Plus we have depth.

Murphy was solid as a rookie. Showed potential to be a good starter - good against the run, held the edge well and gave effort pass rush. Did not flash anything to me though to say he will be a 10+ sack pro bowl type OLB. You can never have enough really good pass rushers ...

I'm surprised by this, honestly. Not because I think Scot is totally adverse to signing guys with past issues (they traded for Lynch in Seattle when he was there, who was a big question mark at that point character-wise)... but because I thought he wanted to play it safe the first year here. I'm pretty sure he even said that.

So, just with regards to football, this is really intriguing. Does he think we're closer to being good than initially to where he's willing to go out on a limb a little more, now?

Or is our OLB depth that bad in his eyes and Galette is the only guy available?  

I don't disagree with the way Koolblue is looking at this, either, from a moral perspective. I'd like to keep my dignity rooting for these guys and would rather they keep their faults to themselves (I'm sure there's a lot of bad we don't know about these guys behind the scenes, but that's okay, as long as they keep it that way)... so when a guy like this comes to play for us, I don't like it as well, at least initially. Like Koolblue, I won't separate my value system from anything, entertainment or not.   

But I also get the other side of it (as Conn elaborated) and I'm definitely into forgiveness and redemption. So we shall see.   

I posted this somewhere else, but here goes....

Saying/meaning "in Scot we trust" carries with it, the weight of these types of decisions. Matter of fact, i believe it to almost specifically point to just these types of decisions in particular.

I trust that he will have done his research, that he will do all the diligence necessary on Gallette before he makes a decision, & that his decision will involve more intimate knowledge on the player than i will ever know or have access to, and that if he does decide to sign the player, that the deal will not only be amicable to both parties, but particularly to the Washington Redskins.

If....IF we do sign him, i am positive it will be a short term deal for very little compared to his recently negated contract.

If this happens...more the merrier. A little more competition never hurt anyone. If it doesn't? Well done Scot....i trust your judgment in this matter.

Also....about guys being "SM guys." I specifically recall an article from the 4-letter that spoke about how he goes about judging character. What it amounted to was that he valued honesty, & ownership of their mistakes, but also that he emphasized that he wanted to know where these problems come from.

They gave a great insight into his assessment of a good looking prospect who had several issues with pot use. He basically wanted to know if the problem was something that could be coaxed out with good environs & coaching...or were these issues deeply rooted & have become a personal crutch for the player.

I get the sense that this is why the sit-down (besides of course being typical diligence on a player). I think he wants to look him in the eye & ask him some tough questions.

We shall see....but man oh man.. if everything (admittedly, miraculously) turns up aces....that's going to give us some major resources in the pass rush department.

Usually I think the "character" **** is overrated in most situations (Desean Jackson is a great example because by all reports, he's a solid teammate and doesn't get into **** off the field)...UNLESS you are constantly doing **** that can harm the team. He's been doing things like this since college. He's getting involved in DV situations and fights...which can all hurt the team by getting him suspended. 

Then as a teammate, he needs work too. He says dumb **** in the media (and also Twitter) that creates unnecessary firestorms. Gee, where have we heard that one before??

Look, if he signs, I'll have to look past all these shortcomings but it's hard. He's still a damn good player at the end of the day. 

**** like this:

http://deadspin.com/junior-galettes-twitter-rant-savages-sean-payton-and-th-1720339378

When the Saints informed Galette of his release, he deleted his Twitter account, lest he say anything he might regret. That didn’t last a day. On Saturday he hopped onto his girlfriend’s Twitter account and laid into the franchise, some former teammates, and head coach Sean Payton.

It’s confusing to follow and the account has been deleted (Canal Street Chronicles has a good summary with screenshots), and some of the tweets appear to have been written directly by Galette’s girlfriend, but Reddit user PaySayJack compiled this Cliffs Notes guide to Galette’s opinions and accusations. It’s pretty incredible:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/07/junior_galette_5.html

On a losing team, every issue was magnified. Multiple sources said the atmosphere in the locker room was often sour. Galette and defensive lineman Brandon Deaderick, who is no longer with the team, got into a fistfight before one of the Saints' preseason games.  

There was a trickle-down effect.

Sources also said Deaderick got into another fight with a defensive lineman around the time of the Saints' loss to the 49ers in November.

The fights were more than simple pushing and shoving matches, the sources said. They were all-out brawls the likes of which some in the locker room had never seen. 

Team chemistry was non-existent. 

A former Saints teammate told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune of Galette: "He stayed focused long enough to get paid, then the real Junior came out. Sad." 

The cracks began to show as the team, which entered the season as a Super Bowl contender, started losing. A source said some coaches and players wondered privately why Galette, who'd never been lauded for his leadership skills, had been chosen as a captain in the first place.

Payton had always been irked by Galette's loose lips to the media and via social media, but that was a minor issue until December. 

Galette squarely put himself in Payton's doghouse when he told the media that the team's current players were better than the ones they replaced, causing former Saints players publicly to lambast him on social media. 

They still hadn't forgotten by Friday, as ex-Saints defensive end Bobby McCray posted a GIF directed to Vilma and Smith that said, "Now comes the part where we throw our heads back in laughter." 

"Karma came calling," Vilma tweeted.

Former Saints Scott Shanle and Scott Fujita both reacted with tweets indicating laughter.

Galette said his proclamation wasn't a slight to the former players. Instead, he was trying to pump up his own teammates with praise. A source said Saints coaches, Payton in particular, didn't think Galette had done enough of note in his own career to be castigating his predecessors, some of whom helped the Saints win their only Super Bowl five years ago. 

And they bringing this...TO THIS TOWN. A town with media that sustains life off of stuff like this. Listen, I'm all for "new beginnings" and all of that but this is a tough town for that to happen in. 

But again, we'll see how it goes.

Also, I'm only passionate about this because I've read all of these articles over the last 2 weeks prior to this news and felt comfort thinking "Remember when a guy like this was almost guaranteed to get interest from this team?" lol

Can we quit it with the whole "character" thing? It gets really old and that approach certainly hasn't worked for us. This would be an absolute steal for us. Cowboys got a top tier pass rusher with worse issues with a 10 game suspension reduced to 4 and looking to be reduced again. Whatever his issues his teammates voted him captain and I can't imagine he would get in any worse trouble than Hardy. SOMEONE is going to take advantage of his skills and get a productive pass rusher in his prime, why shouldn't it be us when he'll likely come relatively cheap and be on his best behavior

Heyyyyy someone from my neck of the woods!

The thing about Gallette is he denies it's even him in the tape, so at least on that front, he's not owning up to anything. Now, I can see second chances if a guy takes responsibility, but if he's just denying stuff, then you'd better hope he's sincere. Otherwise, you're counting the days until something else happens. I would think Scot and the brass would have to figure out if they think he's being truthful.

Gentlemen...we have arrived. Redskins football is officially back. I hope there are ttons of tweets and articles so that the psycho looney threads get buried and we all have something real to discuss.

Welcome home.

HAIL!

I'm also hoping for more than a couple active threads that really dig into the storylines whether it be underdogs, prospects, or whatever... Hopefully, the twitter thread doesn't cover all the conversation. A mega thread is great for looking at the forest, but heck, we should be looking at the trees, squirrels, flowers, weeds, and even the bugs too.

It's called "due diligence" gang, nemo nailed it, McClue & Co. have done a lot of work overhauling the roster, camp is starting up and this guy becomes available, you kick the tires and talk it out.

I'll be very surprised if he signs here at any price but you still consider your options.

Thorough professional outfits do this.

We are in the process of becoming one.

Haaaa wtf I've seen other people post the same comment bleed burgundy and gold why do I get so much * for it lol

Does he have to spell it out for you< oh wait, he did. Heads up, don't circumvent the profanity feature, it's in the TOS FWIW. 

Archived