Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: It’s not just about RGIII, and Redskins’ Scot McCloughan has proven it

SkinsHokieFan

Jay was very heavily cast in that specific role, primarily by media and fans here and was held hugely accountable to that notion as featured in endless blame/arguing/spinning stuff.

Many of ES often said (wrongly enough, particularly in its exaggerated simplicity) "that's why he was hired!" And then followed such with a one-year review of "he sucks! he's stupid!" This was mostly (often neurotically) embodied in the mega-repetition mantras of the devout rg3 fanboys.

Great post, per the norm, Jumbo... one which has this very specific point I've wanted to make for some time but didn't want to start another flame war on Gruden, lol. 

I really couldn't have said it better myself, and would just add that there is little to no evidence that Gruden promised Allen/Snyder anything and, in fact, it wasn't the opposite to where they were promising (or, more accurately, painting a picture) that the organization, and Robert in particular, was closer to 2012 than anything else.  

It seems like too many people imagined this interview scenario in their heads where Jay is telling Snyder and Allen what he can do for Robert and how awesome it'll all be, while they just sit there silently nodding their heads. 

We've seen now in two offseasons that Jay has clearly shown that he follows, at least initially, the ideas/assessments/philosophy of the FO above him and isn't telling them how to think. We saw that when he was first hired (Allen's "we're close to 2012" and the PR war with Shanahan the team had before Gruden was ever involved is solid evidence of this) and we see that now with Scot. The difference, hopefully, will be that the latter is actually right and there will never arise a need, like last season, for Jay to go nuts, lol. 

So let's see now. Can the team grow and progress consistently? Will they have a bad game but come back the next week looking a lot better? That's win or lose, in my mind. I think it's short-sighted to immediately expect a consistent winner. If they do win (gasp), can they keep that hunger and motivation that got them to that point going?    

Was reading article, maybe it was this one, LOL.   It showed how long it took Scott to be successful at San Fran and Seattle.  Well, he fired before San Fran become successful but he built the foundation that Jim Harbaugh took to 3 NFC Championship games.  It just took a long time before Alex Smith was decent and by then, they found a replacement on Colin Kapernik. 

In Seattle, he didn't get Wilson until year 3.

Scott will build the team up, if he's given the chance.  Thing is and I know I am in broken record mode when I say this; it depends on Dan Snyder.  If the team fails again, will Dan let Scott make the changes needed or will he go after the next big name?

Honestly, I'm not really that excited for this season because I feel until we have moved on from RG3; this team will not progress.  Jay will get his season to prove he's a head coach.   2015 is about seeing if Jay can be a head coach?  If he can, then that's good for us.  If not., then Scott should allowed to bring in someone who has the same vision.

RG3 will get his chance but if he's clearly not showing it, then I think he gets benched by week 12.  Scott will then build the team and when he finds that QB, he will get it.  If Gruden is coach next year and RG3 isn't with us; it wll not shock me to see Colt Mccoy being our QB in the short term until we find the franchise.

So, 2015 is more about seeing whether the head coach and QB pans out; and then we can go from there. I view 2015, more as an evaluation year. Scott will be able to see the team up close.  See what positions are our strengths and what aren't and then build the team from there.  My guess, we are still 2 more solid drafts away from even thinking about contending.

I think keeping the facility in Ashburn was part of the Richmond TC deal. If I'm not mistaken the team got $ 4M from the state for that part (I'm assuming to help with upgrades to the facility, etc.).

I'm not sure when it was, maybe a couple of years ago, that Dan stated he'd like to "rebuild" Redskins Park either at the current site or another site in NOVA and that either the state or the county was giving him a hard time about it.  I can't really be sure what the issue was, but I do remember Dan stating he wanted to give the team a modern facility. The current factility is going on 50 years, so I'd love for us to have a new one as I'm sure the players and coaches would also.

The nice thing I took out of this is SM doesn't need to immediately have his QB in place to build his team.  We aren't reliant on one of our QBs to be "the answer" in order to succeed.  If RG3 or Cousins can't get it done (of course I hope one of them can), all isn't lost.  SM can get the QB he wants later and focus on the rebuild right now.

I agree with this point.  By spending resources, Danny is willing to go to town on players and coaches, its time he do the same on scouting.   I think he would though at this point, months ago Scot was trying to acquire for example Highsmith from GB, I presume he had Danny's approval.

I've always thought this and it's one thing that has never made any damn sense to me. There is no cap on the things like that, why in the world don't the Redskins have the top scouting, medical, training etc etc in the world? We used to always push the envelope with player salaries, but have cut corners that didn't need cutting in areas Snyder could spend without a ceiling.

I've always thought this and it's one thing that has never made any damn sense to me. There is no cap on the things like that, why in the world don't the Redskins have the top scouting, medical, training etc etc in the world? We used to always push the envelope with player salaries, but have cut corners that didn't need cutting in areas Snyder could spend without a ceiling.

This has always been bizarre to me as well, and is the single biggest piece of evidence that any success Synder has had in the business world was a complete fluke. Any competent businessman with his resources and willingness to spend puts money into those areas of a professional sports team.

Unless you're really cynical, like I occasionally am, and believe it's really about spending money where it will earn him the most...and getting the fan base excited about a big player or coach signing has always been all Snyder needs to keep this golden goose alive and well. That may be changing, so hopefully he adapts. But he's made truckloads of cash in the past without needing to spend a dime on the areas of this team that aren't directly visible to the fans.

Personally I think this highlights the disconnect between running a business and running a pro sports franchise, they are fundamentally and functionally different animals and we've seen the gawdawful mess that results from not understanding the difference.

Kinda the way that calling yourself a fan doesn't automatically mean that you know jack**** about football.

After wandering in the desert for 20 years we are truly in transition now, in a way we haven't seen in, oh....forever? TheScot has done a lot of good stuff so far but it's still all basic, foundational building that allows further work, not an end in itself. The staff has to find a common sense of vision and operation, the roster needs to find an identity, the franchise needs to find some success on Sundays. ALL of that is yet to come.

This is not the time to give up hope 'cuz right now, hope is all we have.

After wandering in the desert for 20 years we are truly in transition now, in a way we haven't seen in, oh....forever?

I love the optimism but I feel like we have said this a few times in the past.  I've been fooled to many times before so now I am in wait and see mode before I can agree with this statement.

This article proves that there is hope for the future and even the immediate future of this team. The Redskins are starting to make the right moves for once. But there are still a lot of questions mostly about RGIII and if he is the future. I believe that they will have some success this year because of the players they let go and who they have brought in. Not every guy you sign will be high character so you have to have a good team of evaluators to get the right mix of guys in your locker room. This article is a sign of positive change.

I just read the article this morning.  I moved from the Bay area to DE and for years lived in Northern VA so I have followed the Skins for a long time through the ups and downs.  I really thought Bobby Beathard at least when he was GM for Skins knew what he was doing.  I get a sense that so does our new GM.  I watched him build SF and Seattle teams just like the new WAPO writer.  Our head coach is no dummy and the GM can scout so our fans need to put a little more faith in them despite the poor talent that has been on this team for the past ten years.  Getting younger talented players always helped Seattle and the 49ers and it will also help the Skins start to get better.  Trading for expensive free agents is what hurt the Skins over many years.  I think the Skins finally have a management team with Allen, Scott M. and Gruden- where each guy knows their role.  Lets see what the players can do this season and maybe we can rally around them instead of yelling at them- the players need to improve their performance from last season.

Just for more clarity and less agenda---Scot in his position here has final say and is very much the leader in driving talent acquisition. And as people (including ones I know) within the SF & SEA orgs (and now In DC) confirm, Scot (of course), besides fully availing himself of his scouting departments, heavily involves coaches in his player hunts and final selection (um, duh).

Rest assured it is not a vacuum all dependent on one guy, or some ego-driven kingship. But that one guy who is our GM now has been consistently demonstrating (even during the "surprises" in the draft per many) he's sure right for the job, and he is a "boss."

Vinnie would be Bizarro Scot.  :)

Wouldn't he be the poster boy for the importance of having a franchise QB? Obvious from that contract how much NFL teams value stability at that position.

That would be a logical conclusion.  

Nevertheless, people can't write an article about not needing a franchise QB without mentioning Russell Wilson.

Wouldn't he be the poster boy for the importance of having a franchise QB? Obvious from that contract how much NFL teams value stability at that position.

I think that in this stats driven era we're in, people miss the boat a little.

Russell Wilson

Ben Rothlesberger

Joe Flacco

Are all Franchise QBs in that when crunch time comes, more often than not they come through. They have a knack for the timely play. They have what we used to call "it" They are the "heroic QBs," the playmakers.  Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are also franchise QBs, but of a different sort. Aaron Rogers is a bit of both.

Archived