Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

3 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

I think i will buy the new MacBook pro using the educational discount if i can.  Thoughts??

I would say MBP's are overkill for most people, but it depends what you are using it for.

If you are just browsing the internet and checking emails, there's really no need for a MBP.  You can get something that works at the fraction of the cost.  I would say this is like a high majority of people who are using laptops.  

But if you are into development, image processing, video editing, or stuff that is intense, then MBP's are 100% worth the price of entry.  Or if you just like them and don't care about spending the money on one, then go for it.  But if you are price conscious and aren't doing any of the above, it's really a waste of money.

19 hours ago, purbeast said:

I would say MBP's are overkill for most people, but it depends what you are using it for.

If you are just browsing the internet and checking emails, there's really no need for a MBP.  You can get something that works at the fraction of the cost.  I would say this is like a high majority of people who are using laptops.  

But if you are into development, image processing, video editing, or stuff that is intense, then MBP's are 100% worth the price of entry.  Or if you just like them and don't care about spending the money on one, then go for it.  But if you are price conscious and aren't doing any of the above, it's really a waste of money.

i do a good amount of photo editing and usually have alot of tabs up. I'm trying to figure out if the MacBook has wifi 6 capability. Do you know?

2 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

i do a good amount of photo editing and usually have alot of tabs up. I'm trying to figure out if the MacBook has wifi 6 capability. Do you know?

I'm not even familiar with wifi 6 or what it is so I can't help you there.

Having a lot of tabs open in a browser isn't CPU intensive it's more RAM intensive.  

From what I know from graphics designers and people in graphics field, they all swear by Macs because they say the tools are just better on OSX but I personally don't have experience with that either. 

It's kind of hard to say whether it's worth it for you or not as far as price goes since you are more of a hobby photo editor.  In the end it's up to you but I'm guessing you can probably get by just fine with a Windows laptop if you don't feel like spending the money on an MBP.  I honestly just don't know much about the photo/video editing side of things, just that I hear people generally speaking that OSX has better tools for that kind of stuff which is why it's preferred for it.  I do have experience developing though and unless you are writing Windows native software, it's a night/day difference using OSX versus Windows.  The linux kernel and terminal alone make it worth it.

6 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

Wi-Fi 6 chips are still being integrated into laptops and smartphones. The 16-inch MacBook Pro from late last year or the new MacBook Air will include Wi-Fi 6 chips. The only other previous Apple products to offer Wi-Fi 6 are the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro.

The tabs and good amount of photo editing depends on amount of memory and hard drive speed and cpu. A Macbook with 8-16 GB RAM, 512 or 1TB SSD HD (depends on how much storage needs you have), the CPU has to be QUAD core or better. That should do it. 

You can also opt for Surface laptop as well (my 13 year old does her drawing using the stylus, something you are not going to find on a Macbook - yet). Similar specs will do. 

2 hours ago, zskins said:

Wi-Fi 6 chips are still being integrated into laptops and smartphones. The 16-inch MacBook Pro from late last year or the new MacBook Air will include Wi-Fi 6 chips. The only other previous Apple products to offer Wi-Fi 6 are the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro.

The tabs and good amount of photo editing depends on amount of memory and hard drive speed and cpu. A Macbook with 8-16 GB RAM, 512 or 1TB SSD HD (depends on how much storage needs you have), the CPU has to be QUAD core or better. That should do it. 

You can also opt for Surface laptop as well (my 13 year old does her drawing using the stylus, something you are not going to find on a Macbook - yet). Similar specs will do. 

My 2011 MacBook is still killing it right now just need something a little faster thats it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been forced back into Windows territory.  (The textbooks and packages my nursing classes use, require it.)  Assume antivirus software is a requirement again.  

Any recommendations?  10-15 years ago, I swore by Norton, although my opinion on them dimmed a whole lot when I started having to suggest customers add more RAM to their system before installing it.  It was a huge resource hog, then.  

Any kinds of recommendations?  The laptop came with McAfee pre-installed by HP, trial version, and I'm already irritated at them because of all the popup advertising it gives me about itself.  But I'm willing to forgive that, in a trial version.  

• 3 weeks later...

Alright folks, I'm at my wits end and desperate for help. I just built a brand new PC after being a mac guy for a decade. It's been a learning curve, but I'm adapting well.

The issue is simple: my Macbook Pro consistently gets double the WIFI speed that the new PC does. Neither is connected to ethernet. Yes, I know ethernet is faster. That's not the point here. The point is that both computers, while using WIFI, on the exact same desk at the exact same distance from the router, get different speeds. I pay for up to 300MBPS and the mac can usually get 200+, but the new windows desktop rarely breaks 100. 

I've tried everything I can think of. I've repositioned the wifi antenna. I've checked the physical connections (the things that look like co-ax cables). I've uninstalled and reinstalled the wifi card drivers (a dozen times). I've checked that the drivers are up to date. I've made sure that both computers are using 5GHz wifi and not 2.4 (Comcast doesn't let me choose but I've told the PC to "prefer" 5gh and it usually does. I've made sure that nothing is throttling my wifi as best as I can tell. I don't have any VPNs or anything running in the background as far as I can tell.

Any ideas? Ordinarily I'd have just chalked it up to bad wifi or a tough connection based on where it is in the house, but the Macbook Pro has no trouble getting 200+ speeds, I can't help but feel like I'm missing something.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My buddy in Buffalo got hit by this earlier this week.

A Massive Fraud Operation Stole Millions From Online Bank Accounts

The crooks used emulators to mimic the phones of more than 16,000 customers whose mobile bank accounts had been compromised.

RESEARCHERS FROM IBM Trusteer say they’ve uncovered a massive fraud operation that used a network of mobile device emulators to drain millions of dollars from online bank accounts in a matter of days.

The scale of the operation was unlike anything the researchers have seen before. In one case, crooks used about 20 emulators to mimic more than 16,000 phones belonging to customers whose mobile bank accounts had been compromised. In a separate case, a single emulator was able to spoof more than 8,100 devices.

The thieves then entered usernames and passwords into banking apps running on the emulators and initiated fraudulent money orders that siphoned funds out of the compromised accounts. Emulators are used by legitimate developers and researchers to test how apps run on a variety of different mobile devices.

https://www.wired.com/story/massive-fraud-operation-stole-millions-online-bank-accounts/

• 2 months later...

If you company right now is 100% remote and no one can talk to each other because of the world wide o365 outage, the question you should be asking yourself, your IT department, or your boss, is

WHY DID WE INVEST 100% OF OUR COMMUNICATION INFRASTRUCTURE IN ONE SINGLE CLOUD PROVIDER?!?!?

(probably to save money 😂)

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You know that 99.9% uptime guarantee?

well this is the 0.1% you were wondering about. Enjoy! 

(seriously go home people the sun will rise tomorrow if you don’t get to have your 4:45pm teams meeting you should have been  slapped for scheduling in the first place)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 5 weeks later...

Any thoughts on this for a general use laptop (to remote work and maybe dabble in a few games)? It's $899 at the moment. I'd ask my wife but she scares me. 😆

Lenovo ThinkPad T490s Laptop - Intel Core i7-8565U - WQHD

https://www.costco.com/.product.1498585.html

Love the 500nits screen, but the RAM (8GB soldered, unsure how much can be added) and SSD seem lower-end. I7 processor is a plus...not sure how newish (generation) it is? 2019? 

Definitely looking to stay under 1k. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 11:34 AM, Cooked Crack said:

I signed up for it and it downloaded on my laptop. So far it looks good. Don't like how things appear on the taskbar. You can toggle between left and center but you will no longer be able to move the taskbar to the left or right or top of the screen now. This will suck for people and my customers who like the taskbar on the right or the top of the screen. More to come as I take it for further test drive....