Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Passed Sec+ by the hairs on the taint. But a pass is a pass. 

Congrats.  They never gonna ask you your score, but people who know know a lot certs can pass with 70%, like CEH, GIAC,and e en CISSP.  Sec+ is like 83%.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So...I promised to edit and make sure my father's last book would get published if he passed away before finishing it.  Turns out my Dad did the whole thing in Word Perfect 8...yeah, apparently Word Perfect is still around.  The book is a biography about an artist and has hundreds of pictures - seriously graphics intensive, and is meant to be a huge coffee table style book.  Word Perfect apparently doesn't like embedding jpegs, so all the pics are converted over to bmp (I think).  Anyone know the best way to convert Word Perfect 8 to MS Word?  Otherwise I got a feeling I'm gonna have to copy and paste the text and then go through and re-embed the pics one by one.

3 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

So...I promised to edit and make sure my father's last book would get published if he passed away before finishing it.  Turns out my Dad did the whole thing in Word Perfect 8...yeah, apparently Word Perfect is still around.  The book is a biography about an artist and has hundreds of pictures - seriously graphics intensive, and is meant to be a huge coffee table style book.  Word Perfect apparently doesn't like embedding jpegs, so all the pics are converted over to bmp (I think).  Anyone know the best way to convert Word Perfect 8 to MS Word?  Otherwise I got a feeling I'm gonna have to copy and paste the text and then go through and re-embed the pics one by one.

Instead of Microsoft Word, try LibreOffice's word processor.  It's free, and as an open-source project, it doesn't have the vendor lock-in mentality @Larry mentioned.  I looked through the document types you can select between when filtering out documents to try to open, and Word Perfect is among them.

You can also then try to save it as a Word document from there.  Not sure how well the formatting will hold up to this process, but it's worth a shot.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dont know word perfect well, but if none of the above work try converting it to a PDF and then get a 14 day trial of adobe pro and convert it from that to a word file. Not sure how that would work, just spit ballin. But I have dont something similar with another file type and adobe pro is actually kinda smart in how it handles text and pictures. 

7 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

You can also then try to save it as a Word document from there.  Not sure how well the formatting will hold up to this process, but it's worth a shot.

I'll add that I've had trouble opening resumes I work on in opensource word equivalents in actual word, so ve been recommended to save as PDF instead before sending to anyone instead of risking them trying to open it and word making it look like spaghetti.

Edited by Renegade7

15 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

please tell me you mean word perfect x8 and not just 8?

if you open word perfect 12, or earlier, on windows 10 it puts corruption in the file that can never be fixed and only gets worse. This was confirmed by their engineer after months of problems. 

if it’s x8 you can open it directly in Microsoft word and save as to a docx. 

8 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Yes, it's x8. Wasn't aware of the distinction. I have tried opening it in Word, but the pages with images just hang.

Do you have office 365, 2013 or 2016? I think 365 and 2019 have good pdf editing. Export to pdf and open in word. 

get a trial if you can’t export to something else

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help to back up photos form my MacBook pro (2011).  The HD is almost full but i'm not sure if i'm backing my data correctly.  When i backup the data to the external 1 TB drive, i use the icon on the top of the icon bar to backup.  it usually takes all night to backup but then how do i delete the information on my computer ?

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2019 at 3:26 PM, skinfan2k said:

I need some help to back up photos form my MacBook pro (2011).  The HD is almost full but i'm not sure if i'm backing my data correctly.  When i backup the data to the external 1 TB drive, i use the icon on the top of the icon bar to backup.  it usually takes all night to backup but then how do i delete the information on my computer ?

You still need help with this?

On 2/4/2020 at 6:42 AM, zskins said:

You still need help with this?

i do buddy!  

Issue 1)  Backup all photos through time machine to external HD.  completed

Issue 2)  Backup all photos to google photos.  I have i believe 85% of the photos already backed up to it but not sure how to get the remaining photos on there 

7 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

i do buddy!  

Issue 1)  Backup all photos through time machine to external HD.  completed

Issue 2)  Backup all photos to google photos.  I have i believe 85% of the photos already backed up to it but not sure how to get the remaining photos on there 

If you want to move the photos from your Mac to make more space the best way to do is just go to the Photos folder and cut and paste to the same external HD as your Time Machine backup HD (just create a new folder on the HD, don't touch the Time Machine backup folder, just create the new folder in the root of that hard drive). Once you do that then you can upload them to the cloud from the new folder you created. This way you will have the backup of your photos in both locations.

Time Machine backs up your whole computer in case you need to restore anything or transfer all data and apps to a new laptop or hard drive. Keep on running Time Machine for that reason on a weekly or at least monthly basis depending on how important your data is in case your Mac's hard drive fails.  

Hopefully this helps. Let me know of you need more info. 

7 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

cant you select some of them to be in the cloud only to free up drive space? Then you can add the rest. 

honestly you could probably leave a lot of them only in the cloud. 

44 minutes ago, tshile said:

cant you select some of them to be in the cloud only to free up drive space? Then you can add the rest. 

honestly you could probably leave a lot of them only in the cloud. 

Yup. You could also pay for icloud storage and just move them there and that way you can share them with your iPhone if you have one. 

@skinfan2k take a look at this and see if it helps you: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201517

Edited by zskins

1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

@zkins  that's what i was trying but it was forcing me to redo every photo.  I have more than 100K photos.  it would take days to back up right?

Once you have Google drive installed you can just drag and drop the photos into a folder(s) you create on Google online. That is how I have done it. I would just do that before going to sleep and let it just run overnight. Highly recommend attaching a network cable to your computer instead of using a WiFi connection for faster transfer speed.