Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

I don’t have anything to share because the environment is different so often. It would be hard to shoehorn one tree of solutions that are just scaled up or down. :( 

I certainly appreciate the idea/need though 

Earlier this week the FBI seized a Rusiian Botnet domain involved in this. Supposedly rebooting will stop phase two and three, but factory resets and reconfiguration or firmware updates if available might be in order. This campaign was heavily focused in Ukraine, but spread to 50+ countries.

Hacker News article

Cisco's Talos cyber intelligence research summary

• Like 1

On 5/25/2018 at 4:55 PM, SoulSkin said:

Earlier this week the FBI seized a Rusiian Botnet domain involved in this. Supposedly rebooting will stop phase two and three, but factory resets and reconfiguration or firmware updates if available might be in order. This campaign was heavily focused in Ukraine, but spread to 50+ countries.

Hacker News article

Cisco's Talos cyber intelligence research summary

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/05/fbi-kindly-reboot-your-router-now-please/

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is warning that a new malware threat has rapidly infected more than a half-million consumer devices. To help arrest the spread of the malware, the FBI and security firms are urging home Internet users to reboot routers and network-attached storage devices made by a range of technology manufacturers.

The growing menace — dubbed VPNFilter — targets Linksys, MikroTik, NETGEAR and TP-Link networking equipment in the small and home office space, as well as QNAP network-attached storage (NAS) devices, according to researchers at Cisco.

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

Anyone going to the local government cyber security partnership workshop tomorrow?

my wife said I can’t wear jeans and a t shirt :(

That sounds awesome, no way I'd get tomorrow off for it, too late, too much to do.  I'm curious what they have to say, how much help they are getting from the feds or if they are sharing information, vulnerabilities and fixes with each other (one can only hope).  Am trying to get to SELF next weekend, schedule is out now:

http://www.southeastlinuxfest.org/pdfs/SELF-2018-Schedule.pdf

Not as much security as last time I went, but some stuff I'm actually dealing with now, like oauth.  Always hear what they have to say in regards to integrating with AD or ADFS (considering either openldap or the rumour you can use ADFS for direct server access instead, anything to get out of local users for everyone).

Edited by Renegade7

Looking at backup and secondary storage refresh for the enterprise. Currently exploring Cohesity, Rubrik, and Avamar/Data Domain (sigh, the Dell/EMC one was handed down to me from above). What do you guys use or have experience with?

Always satisfying cleaning up old AD objects.  For whatever reason, one of our domains doesn't have ADWS, so can't use Get-ADComputer cmdlet.  A little dsquery to find you bammas, sprinkle some dsmod to disable you and working my way down from there.  Ah, like sipping lemonade at that point.

@tshile  How was the "local government cyber security partnership workshop"?  Do the localities share information on vulnerabilities and possible common APTs?

19 minutes ago, tshile said:

It was mostly them complaining about resources and navigating politics. 

I like what virginia is trying to do. I’m concerned about the current state of things. We’ll see.

Sounds about right, glad to hear you say that about VA.  It's really hard for me to say how much having so many cybersecurity firms in NOVA (sounds like event you went to didn't have places like Fairfax and Arlington) has in regards to the state itself.  I'm of the mind we probably have the least amount of excuses compared to some other states (by God knows, people can find them).

22 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

So how about that Microsoft buyout of Github?

I'm not sure yet, I need to read more then one article.

My initial reaction was Microsoft has been cozying up to Open Source community for a minute now (I believe to make sure they didn't get locked out by them figuring stuff out and not making sure it worked with Windows), but didn't know they contributed so much code to Github.  I need to see how far they've really gotten with getting OpenSSH with Powershell on windows machines, we are paying stupid money for Bitvise right now.

https://github.com/PowerShell/Win32-OpenSSH/wiki/Install-Win32-OpenSSH

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone set up a MoCa Network in their house before? Right now my game room (PS4 and One) is a room behind the garage (and the only downstairs room in the house) is getting a really weak wifi signal (that drops a lot too) as it is far from the cable modem/router upstairs. I was looking at options and I didn't realize this (MoCa) existed (hey I'm not that much of a techie). 

Seems like a good way to get a constant strong wired internet signal in the game room downstairs? Any thoughts/tips? From what I can tell, I need 2 of them, 1 for between where the internet comes into the house and the cable modem/router (it's an all in one device) and then one between where the coax cable comes out downstairs and the cable box. I assume this won't interfere with the cable tv downstairs right? 

Edit..just read that my cable modem isnt MoCa enabled. So I guess I would have to replace it also??? So confused.

Edited by The Evil Genius

On 6/6/2018 at 5:29 PM, Renegade7 said:

Always satisfying cleaning up old AD objects.  For whatever reason, one of our domains doesn't have ADWS, so can't use Get-ADComputer cmdlet.  A little dsquery to find you bammas, sprinkle some dsmod to disable you and working my way down from there.  Ah, like sipping lemonade at that point.

Never saw this thread before. You probably figured it out already but if you can't use Get-ADcomputer then type in

import-module activedirectory

First and then it will work for you. 

@The Evil Genius what's signal strength on your current cable modem / router?  You talked to ISP about latest model available?  Cable providers are notorious for not reaching out about this for regular upgrades and people paying for a speed their equipment can't handle.  If you havent, start there.  

How far are we talking PS4 from cable modem (this is a modem / wireless router as well, right?).  Is that backroom walls made of concrete?  What kind of WiFi signal are you getting on your cell phone or laptop?  Same issue?

I'm asking you these questions first because one, ISPs brag about range of their wireless cable modems now, so save some money and call them on it.  And two, if you sitting in a concert block, that's not gonna help you either.  I use ethernet where ever I can, even if I have to make my own cables.