Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

Uh, if you're going to get on Microsoft for forcing people to upgrade via the technique of not providing patches any more, ......

Yes, im going there, IT in a lot of places do this.  Certain versions of Mac can't install latest version of malwarebytes, half our environment at work is RHEL6 on extended support.  Its not like cars that basically come apart with age, this technology merely lacks the willpower to resist going after whats new or having to.  We could keep patching if we wanted to.

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Yes, im going there, IT in a lot of places do this.  Certain versions of Mac can't install latest version of malwarebytes, half our environment at work is RHEL6 on extended support.  Its not like cars that basically come apart with age, this technology merely lacks the willpower to resist going after whats new or having to.  We could keep patching if we wanted to.

Oh, I agree. It's intentional planned obsolescence. 

Heck, I've seen vendors literally removing device drivers from their download sites, because they want to force you to buy a new product. I mean, I understand that very few people need a Win98 driver for that mouse you made 20 years ago. But you already wrote the driver, it's already sitting on the server. What's the point in removing it, other than to try to force people to buy another one?  

• Thanks 1

I need some help for my tv.  i have only 2 hdmi ports on my tv.  I have my sound bar (want to use the arc in the tv), cable box, xbox series x and then fire stick into the hdmi ports. what is the easiest way to plug them all in at the same time. i bought a switch from amazon and it doesnt even recognize my fire stick 

12 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I need some help for my tv.  i have only 2 hdmi ports on my tv.  I have my sound bar (want to use the arc in the tv), cable box, xbox series x and then fire stick into the hdmi ports. what is the easiest way to plug them all in at the same time. i bought a switch from amazon and it doesnt even recognize my fire stick 

Take a look at this one instead: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120M3X1SW4/Metra-ethereal-CS-HDM3X1SW4.html

5 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

This is the one I’m returning lol

That is why I wanted you try the one I posted earlier. It is a powered unit and has good reviews. For $50 bucks it is not that expense though if it let's you do what you want it do do. Cructhfield has been around for ages. I am sure you can return it if it doesn't work out. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zskins said:

That is why I wanted you try the one I posted earlier. It is a powered unit and has good reviews. For $50 bucks it is not that expense though if it let's you do what you want it do do. Cructhfield has been around for ages. I am sure you can return it if it doesn't work out. 

i'm a moron.  figured the fire stick could work on the power of the adapter and thats not the case.  and now it works lol

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm not a computer guy so I found this thread boring. Until I read the part about Windows 10. So do I need to upgrade to 11?  Pain in the ass.  

They'll still support it till 2025

11 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm not a computer guy so I found this thread boring. Until I read the part about Windows 10. So do I need to upgrade to 11?  Pain in the ass.  

No. You don't have to. If you want to do it it is pretty easy. Google how to download Windows 11. I signed up for the preview and it installed in the background and after the reboot I was on Windows 11. Pretty easy peasy. :)

12 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

and now a new issue.  the sounder is connect via digital optical audio but now the Comcast remote won't pick it up. 

You lost me on this one. What is a sounder? What is the Comcast remote trying to pick up?

11 hours ago, zskins said:

No. You don't have to. If you want to do it it is pretty easy. Google how to download Windows 11. I signed up for the preview and it installed in the background and after the reboot I was on Windows 11. Pretty easy peasy. :)

You lost me on this one. What is a sounder? What is the Comcast remote trying to pick up?

sorry it must have been a autocorrect error.  I have a samsung sound bar and i have it set at D.IN but the comcast remote only see thats the tv is picking the sound via digital audio cable but not actually able to control the volume. 

13 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

sorry it must have been a autocorrect error.  I have a samsung sound bar and i have it set at D.IN but the comcast remote only see thats the tv is picking the sound via digital audio cable but not actually able to control the volume. 

I would assume that the sound should be controlled on the sound bar now instead of the TV. Since it's a digital signal, I assume it just sends the raw sound data and it's up to the soundbar to determine volume.

I'd look into whether your Comcast remote can be configured to adjust the volume on your soundbar.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

I would assume that the sound should be controlled on the sound bar now instead of the TV. Since it's not a digital signal, I assume it just sends the raw sound data and it's up to the soundbar to determine volume.

I'd look into whether your Comcast remote can be configured to adjust the volume on your soundbar.

yeah i got it to work after this advice.  i was using the prompts that comcast had and it didn't do anything.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Thinking of letting A+, Network+, and Security+ expire since i already have the CISSP. Good idea or bad idea from recruiter viewpoint?

I think its a bad look to let them lapse just cause. Personally, I ask if you have these things in interviews if you have them on the resume, and if the answer is 'no but im studying for it' im already turned off. If its 'well i had them but i let them expire' i would probably be more so. 

Also the CEUs are easy to accumulate. You may have to check this, but in most cases the company you work for will provide you with 3 for every year of work. Cash them ****ers in. Also any trainings you do......our security training counts as 1 and I have to take that once a year so thats 4 just for working here. Im sure you have some you dont know about. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Thanks 1

So I’m not even really sure that this is the right thread but most of you sound like nerds and will find this interesting.  I met up with some family I haven’t seen in over a decade and caught up on life.  Apparently my cousin is in charge of putting together CES every year.  It is the Consumer Electronic Show.  Google tells me it is a pretty big deal.  I feel like I would be really impressed if I understood it.  Am I right?