Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015-16 Washington Capitals Thread: The More Skillful, Less Gritty Edition

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

The Penguins went for it while we added Mike Richards and Mike Weber.There's your difference. We could've gone all in. We had better next year.

Yup. I was hoping the Dustin Blyfugen rumors would amount to something.

Team has been this <> close for damn near 7 years now. Lets go all in

The Penguins went for it while we added Mike Richards and Mike Weber.There's your difference. We could've gone all in. We had better next year.

Just curious as to what moves you think the Caps should've made this past season, especially at the deadline?  A bunch of picks and prospects for Eric Staal or Andrew Ladd, when they already had the best record in the league by a mile?  I wouldn't do that. Byfuglien and Stamkos stayed with their clubs, so you can't fault the Caps for not grabbing those guys when they obviously weren't available.  

And how did Pittsburgh "go for it" any more than the Caps did?  They made a couple trades mid-season because they had to (they sucked at the time weren't going "all in" on the Cup, but rather just trying to save their season) and got lucky with Hagelin and Daley playing well this Spring.  They got Kessel last Summer (who at the time was viewed as damaged goods throughout the league), but we got Oshie.  What else did they do that we didn't, aside from firing their coach, watching their 3rd string goalie catch lightning in a bottle, and play 4 teams against whom their speed matched up better than anyone anticipated?

The only thing Pit did was get hot and stay hot.. They didn't do any big deadline moves that made this happen, they got a coach who played to their advantages and they (key to it all) found a young goalie with ice water in his veins.. I see Cindy got the MVP of the SCF?? But w/o Murray, they're on the 9th tee along with the Caps..

They also exposed the flaw in playing big/physical hockey.. If you get behind, you're ****ed..

Note: I still wish the Caps had stayed with the physical theme, instead of some hybrid style.. They weren't particularly good at either when the playoffs rolled around. And they're identity changed from 2015'.. What will they do in 2016? Who cares.. lol

They could always get someone like Filip Forsberg.

Oh wait. Nevermind.

Those 4 points he put up in 14 playoff games this year would have been huge for the Caps. His -11 in the playoffs even more so. If they had him this year, they probably could have been home in 5 instead of going back to Pittsburgh for game 6. He was dreadful in the playoffs this year. On second thought, he would have fit right in with the rest of the under performers.

Just curious as to what moves you think the Caps should've made this past season, especially at the deadline?  A bunch of picks and prospects for Eric Staal or Andrew Ladd, when they already had the best record in the league by a mile?  I wouldn't do that. Byfuglien and Stamkos stayed with their clubs, so you can't fault the Caps for not grabbing those guys when they obviously weren't available.  

And how did Pittsburgh "go for it" any more than the Caps did?  They made a couple trades mid-season because they had to (they sucked at the time weren't going "all in" on the Cup, but rather just trying to save their season) and got lucky with Hagelin and Daley playing well this Spring.  They got Kessel last Summer (who at the time was viewed as damaged goods throughout the league), but we got Oshie.  What else did they do that we didn't, aside from firing their coach, watching their 3rd string goalie catch lightning in a bottle, and play 4 teams against whom their speed matched up better than anyone anticipated?

The Pens went all in before the season when they traded for Kessel who lead the Pens in postseason scoring. There move represented a much more significant upgrade than what the Caps did cause the Pens gave up some depth and some prospects compared to the Caps which replaced two productive players with an upgrade at one spot and a guy that disappeared in the playoffs at another spot. If the Caps had kept Ward while adding Oshie and Williams, THAT would be basically what the Pens did. The Pens created a lot more offensive balance that the Caps didn't have.

I have zero issue with Crosby getting the Conn Smythe.  Could have gone to 2-3 guys on the Pens.  In watching Crosby carefully, he does so many little things well in all zones on the ice.  He impacts the game even w/o going on the score sheet. 

Maybe so, but Murray is the reason the Pens beat the Caps.

They could always get someone like Filip Forsberg.

Oh wait. Nevermind.

Good gracious the Caps have enough young talent that didn't play great in the playoffs. Seriously, let it go.

The hurt with Forsberg is two-fold.

First, we lost a solid player who could have caused mis-match issues.  Hersh, when you talk about keeping Ward AND adding Oshie and Williams, we could swap Ward with Williams and might get a similar result.  Ward definitely outperformed Forsberg in the playoffs, but maybe that's not the case if Forsberg is down on the 3rd line, or alternatively pushing someone else down.

The other, and IMO bigger issue, is I'm scared for our future depth.  Our pipeline at this point is very dependent on Vrana, Barber, and Stephenson turning into legitimate NHL players, bottom 6 at least, top 9 more hopefully, and ideally at least one top 6.  Bura, Wilson, and Kuzy are our three up and comers on the team atm, but Wilson, as much as I'm hopeful he'll become a 35 point guy with value added from physicality, I'm a tad skeptical until he shows more.  Bura is getting there, but he's right around where MoJo ended up, and that next step is going to be tough (hopefully they put him in the weight room with Trent Murphy).  Kuzy is Kuzy, love the guy, but he can't carry the team on his own.

Further, we're not in line for a Laine-level player anytime soon either, decent guys with top 9/top 6 potential like Debrincat, sure, but when Ovi begins to decline, our offense will really have to lean on everybody again, we can't just toss the puck at Ovi and get a playoff spot like it's our right.

It just concerns me greatly that our future is in the hands of Burakovsky, who could be MoJo 2.0, Wilson, who might never get beyond 4th line brawler, Vrana, Barber, Stephenson, or guys like Debrincat.

The volume there helps, but dang, a 30 goal scorer in the back pocket takes that bunch from "could be an A in 5 years, could be a D" to "probably a B at a minimum."

But anyways, those are my feelings on Forsberg (and our depth too, I suppose); barring responses, I'll let it go, though discussion is always welcome.

Forsberg would have sucked here like every other young player we had this past playoffs.

Nothing this franchise does matters in the playoffs. We could have prime Gretzky and Roy coached by Scotty Bowman and we'd lose to the Penguins in the 2nd round.

So, Vegas is getting a team. I understand the money. But after what the NHL and Bettman did to Kansas City, and the lack of a team in places like KC, Seattle, Cleveland, Cincy. They want another one in the desert? If they aren't good, people visiting aren't going to go to the games and it's not like there is this love of hockey for people who grew up there. 

I hope they have 2 expansion teams, increases likelihood that someone might bite on Orpik.  Maybe.  If we're lucky.

Nisky, Carlson, Alzner three defenders I imagine.

Ovi, Backy, Oshie, Bura, Kuzy, Wilson six of seven forwards I'd guess.

Holtby for goalie.

Not sure who 7th forward is.  MoJo?  Williams?  Beagle?

Are Bowey, Vrana, Vanacek and Samsonov (and Barber and Stephenson for that matter) protected?  I was reading that if a player is a first or second year professional they're exempt, does that apply to only the NHL, or also to AHL (which is also a pro league technically).  I'm not quite sure how that works.

I suspect if someone takes a defender, Orlov is the obvious choice (assuming Bowey is safe) first, I'm sure someone with try and improve his defense while liking his 2-way capabilities.  I suppose it's unlikely someone jumps for Orpik, realistically even with 2 expansion teams the odds of them pulling him are low, but maybe we'll get lucky and expansion GMs will only have watched through '14-'15.

So, Vegas is getting a team. I understand the money. But after what the NHL and Bettman did to Kansas City, and the lack of a team in places like KC, Seattle, Cleveland, Cincy. They want another one in the desert? If they aren't good, people visiting aren't going to go to the games and it's not like there is this love of hockey for people who grew up there. 

Vegas doesn't have any other Big 4 pro teams to compete with.  The hockey team will be the only show in town (aside from, you know, the million shows in town). 

Plus the NHL is waiting on Seattle to build an arena, which won't happen without a new NBA team. I don't think the US other cities (KC, Cincy, or Cleveland) are even on the the NHL's radar for expansion. At least not before Quebec City and another team in Toronto (and they've said they prefer US cities with how bad the Canadian dollar is right now).

From what I've read, Quebec has a brand new arena and very stable ownership. I think the NHL wants another team out west to balance the conferences more than anything. If you bring Quebec back, then someone in the eastern time zone has to go to the central division. Send Columbus back IMO.

Oh, Hershey was swept 4 games to none in the Calder final.

The Pens went all in before the season when they traded for Kessel who lead the Pens in postseason scoring. There move represented a much more significant upgrade than what the Caps did cause the Pens gave up some depth and some prospects compared to the Caps which replaced two productive players with an upgrade at one spot and a guy that disappeared in the playoffs at another spot. If the Caps had kept Ward while adding Oshie and Williams, THAT would be basically what the Pens did. The Pens created a lot more offensive balance that the Caps didn't have.

I respectfully disagree.  The Pens had to make a move last summer (they needed the last day of the regular season just to make the playoffs, and they were handled easily in the 1st round by the Rangers).  So they got Kessel, who wasn't viewed too favorably by many around the league at that point.  The Caps, in spite of losing in the 2nd round to NY, were thought by most to be trending upwards, with a solid team expected to be better with the emergence of Kuzy and Bura.  When they replaced Brouwer and Ward with Williams and Oshie, just about everyone I heard from (including almost everyone on this thread) thought that was an upgrade.  And lets not forget all the money they threw at Niskkanen and Orpik the year before. Unless you knew that Williams would disappear this Spring, and Ward and Kessel (and to a certain extent Brouwer) would all have monster postseasons, I think you're looking at this through the benefit of hindsight.  Just because the Pens moves worked out better this playoffs than the Caps did doesn't mean they were any more "all in" than us.

I respectfully disagree.  The Pens had to make a move last summer (they needed the last day of the regular season just to make the playoffs, and they were handled easily in the 1st round by the Rangers).  So they got Kessel, who wasn't viewed too favorably by many around the league at that point.  The Caps, in spite of losing in the 2nd round to NY, were thought by most to be trending upwards, with a solid team expected to be better with the emergence of Kuzy and Bura.  When they replaced Brouwer and Ward with Williams and Oshie, just about everyone I heard from (including almost everyone on this thread) thought that was an upgrade.  And lets not forget all the money they threw at Niskkanen and Orpik the year before. Unless you knew that Williams would disappear this Spring, and Ward and Kessel (and to a certain extent Brouwer) would all have monster postseasons, I think you're looking at this through the benefit of hindsight.  Just because the Pens moves worked out better this playoffs than the Caps did doesn't mean they were any more "all in" than us.

You make good points and it's really a minor disagreement. I think the all in crowd would deem the Caps going all in if they traded draft picks and prospects for a big time player. I think that's the only real difference here. It's a perception issue really.

It's time.  It's time to go ALL IN for a cup next year.  **** this **** of watching other teams win it all.  Let's go get someone to help, no matter the cost.  Players, money, picks...I'm willing to give it all away.  I'm willing to sell my hockey soul to the devil (not New Jersey) for a ****ing cup.

We've had Ovechkin for 10 years.  I'm not interested in our minor league system anymore.  I'm not interested in "developing" any more players for a long haul or years of future competitiveness.  We've been doing that for 10 ****ing years and we still can't get out of the 2nd round.

Let's put the cards on the table.  Do what it takes. Get a Byufelin or whoever we need to get, but do it. **** our minor leagues. **** two or three years from now.  We need to win now. 

IT'S TIME!!  IT....IS....TIME. 

It's time.  It's time to go ALL IN for a cup next year.  **** this **** of watching other teams win it all.  Let's go get someone to help, no matter the cost.  Players, money, picks...I'm willing to give it all away.  I'm willing to sell my hockey soul to the devil (not New Jersey) for a ****ing cup.

We've had Ovechkin for 10 years.  I'm not interested in our minor league system anymore.  I'm not interested in "developing" any more players for a long haul or years of future competitiveness.  We've been doing that for 10 ****ing years and we still can't get out of the 2nd round.

Let's put the cards on the table.  Do what it takes. Get a Byufelin or whoever we need to get, but do it. **** our minor leagues. **** two or three years from now.  We need to win now. 

IT'S TIME!!  IT....IS....TIME. 

Doesn't matter. Whoever we get will come here and underachieve while the prospects we trade will blossom into superstars.

Its just the Capitals way.

Archived