Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015-16 Washington Capitals Thread: The More Skillful, Less Gritty Edition

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

I ended up in Frederick today for the Keys game. So I spent about an hour walking around the mall there. They've got a store which sells a bunch of sports stuff and one of them is NHL figures. They've got Tarasenko and Rick Nash and Giroux and Ovi. 

The Ovechkin  NHL figure looks nothing like him. 

At first I didn't want to waste any money on it. But then I realized most of the time the plastic version doesn't look like them. Remember Peyton Manning and his bobblehead. "Do I really look like this?" The Kuznetsov figure doesn't look like him, and the Holtbeast doesn't look like him either. So I just ended up getting it.

image_102771_2.jpg

I don't know how you guys can continue to watch the playoffs. I get so bummed out :( even seeing the words "Tampa Bay" or "Pittsburgh."

I haven't watched one minute of hockey since our loss.  It just sucks that teams like St. Louis and San Jose finally got over the hump and here we are still wondering WTF happened. 

So jealous of other fans that get a chance to see their team advance. 

I don't know how you guys can continue to watch the playoffs. I get so bummed out :( even seeing the words "Tampa Bay" or "Pittsburgh."

I haven't watched one minute of hockey since our loss.  It just sucks that teams like St. Louis and San Jose finally got over the hump and here we are still wondering WTF happened. 

So jealous of other fans that get a chance to see their team advance. 

I've watched a little bit of the Sharks/Blues. I refuse to watch Pens/Lightning. The fact that one of those two will get to the SCF AGAIN just pisses me off. I hope one of the West teams wins it, preferably the Sharks as they've basically been the Caps of the West and if they can win it its gotta give us hope.

Hershey up 2-0 in ECF.

Why so depressed about hockey PJ? We got beat. Unlike previous years, we didn't blow a big lead, or get beat by a lesser team, or not show up. We just got beat. This is one of the better feeling exits for the Caps. Even though we lost to our bitter rivals.

Hershey up 2-0 in ECF.

Why so depressed about hockey PJ? We got beat. Unlike previous years, we didn't blow a big lead, or get beat by a lesser team, or not show up. We just got beat. This is one of the better feeling exits for the Caps. Even though we lost to our bitter rivals.

LOL WUT????  We won the presidents trophy and got beat by the Pens.  Who was the lesser team?  The Pres Cup team or the Pens.  You are lost in space.  This was a typical exit not a better or worse exit.

LOL WUT???? We won the presidents trophy and got beat by the Pens. Who was the lesser team? The Pres Cup team or the Pens. You are lost in space. This was a typical exit not a better or worse exit.

Let me know when you get a clue and then we can talk about this Caps season.

The Caps were the best team in the league from start to finish. But the Pens were a better team the last 3 months of the season. The Pens were favored by experts in our series for a reason. They were scoring a ton of goals and winning a ton of games. They discovered a magical 3rd line when Malkin came back with Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel. Might be the best 3rd line in hockey - pretty sure it's the most expensive 3rd line. There is no shame in how we lost. No choke, no big lead blown. Just ran into a better team at the time.

Hershey up 2-0 in ECF.

Like said, getting tired and jealous of seeing other fans able to celebrate their teams moving on. And no, they were the lesser team. Yes, they were the hotter team down the stretch, but they were the lesser team. Doesn't feel better to me. No matter how you slice it, we lost in the 2nd round, "again." You can sugarcoat it all you want if it makes you feel better, but the fact is, we lost yet again. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride. It sucks and there is nothing about the four teams left that I give a crap about. No exit is good. Should've made more progress to advance. Same old, same old.

The Caps were the best team in the league from start to finish. But the Pens were a better team the last 3 months of the season. The Pens were favored by experts in our series for a reason. They were scoring a ton of goals and winning a ton of games. They discovered a magical 3rd line when Malkin came back with Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel. Might be the best 3rd line in hockey - pretty sure it's the most expensive 3rd line. There is no shame in how we lost. No choke, no big lead blown. Just ran into a better team at the time.

Excuses.  They let in some weak ass goals against the Penguins and at times played like they didn't want to be on the ice.

Excuses. They let in some weak ass goals against the Penguins and at times played like they didn't want to be on the ice.

So to summarize chip at the end of the playoffs: if they didn't lift the cup they are chokers. No matter how they play.

I don't think the Caps choked. The Pens were the better team at the end of the season. The Caps had a hot ~3 months but were basically an average team post all-star break(record was around .500 maybe a tad better).

Doesn't make it any less disappointing though. So I can understand completely pj's point of view. Don't wanna see other teams celebrating. When's it our turn?

I don't think the Caps choked. The Pens were the better team at the end of the season. The Caps had a hot ~3 months but were basically an average team post all-star break(record was around .500 maybe a tad better).

Doesn't make it any less disappointing though. So I can understand completely pj's point of view. Don't wanna see other teams celebrating. When's it our turn?

I am disappointed as well. I'm just not distraught like against Mintreal. Or blowing a 3-1 lead against the Rags last night.

Are yall still going on about the choke narrative come off it

If Joe B says it wasn't a choke it wasn't

He was adamant it was not on CSN postgame 

If you thought they choked you did not watch the series. Now that it happened 2 weeks ago come off it and talk about something else. It's ancient history. They ran against a better team. That's not a choke. 

So to summarize chip at the end of the playoffs: if they didn't lift the cup they are chokers. No matter how they play.

I have given my opinion before on the state of the Caps, although each year we get wishful thinking.

Ted does the same thing over and over.

1)  Hires an inexperienced coach or a coach who has never won a Cup.  Heck Trotz didn't even play in the NHL or ever coach past the second round.  He let BRUCE CASSIDY steer the ship when we had Jaromir Jagr signed to a ludicrous contract.  Then he hired Glen Hanlon.  :lol:

2)  He continues with essentially the same GM structure that hasn't won a title for years.

3)  We roll out the same core essentially every year and wonder why we get the same results.

But Ted doesn't care because everyone flocks to home games.  They love spending money on Teds Teams.

If I were in charge, at a minimum I would look for an experienced coach who had won a cup or taken their team to a cup.  He has had plenty of years to look for one.  Problem is Ted wants to surround himself with yes men who wont rock the boat and who he can influence with his vision.

Coaches w/ Stanley Cup experience who are unemployed are probably so for good reason.  I mean, who are you going to hire?  Mike Keenan, Marc Crawford, who?  It's not like hiring one of those guys would be the solution to the problem.  Winning 16 games in the playoffs has just as much to do with puck luck as it does coaching. 

Jon Cooper and Mike Sullivan are both on the cusp of getting their respective teams to the Stanley Cup and one of them (Cooper) has a Lax background and played at Hofstra. 

I have no issue w/ Trotz (yet).  Window is still open for this team to get over the hump.  While the results this year were disappointing, I think we're much better off now (going forward) than we were during any other year during the Ovechkin era. 

I won't stop spending money on Ted's Teams because I'm a true fan 

you'll keep seeing me in the stands i don't give a ****

I have been a fan since their first season in Washington and I have watched every playoff game.  I am a true fan.  Doesn't mean they shouldn't be criticized.

Who keeps saying "choke"? I don't think anyone is saying that. All we're saying is, they lost to a lesser team and screwed the pooch again. Some of us are still pissed about squandering a great season in the same fashion they usually do.

I've been a fan since 1981.

I have been a fan since their first season in Washington and I have watched every playoff game.  I am a true fan.  Doesn't mean they shouldn't be criticized.

Right there with you, chip. I can remember watching games on 13 inch B/W tvs.

yes it sucks, but I'm a fan from the start and I'm a fan until the end.  They will one day win a Cup.  

Agree they can be criticized w/o stopping loving them.

Ted does the same thing over and over.

2)  He continues with essentially the same GM structure that hasn't won a title for years.

Completely agree. The sad part is GMBM's priority is to bring back all the Caps free agents.

Archived