Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015-16 Washington Capitals Thread: The More Skillful, Less Gritty Edition

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Sharks PP is a thing of beauty...I hope the Caps revamp and change their philosophy going forward. 

Our PP, at times, is stagnant because everything is pretty much going to be forced to Ovechkin.  Watching the Sharks PP, there is CONSTANT movement and at times, the shooter can be unpredictable due to guys being all over the ice.  I'd love to see something like that worked in with what the Caps want to do going forward. 

There is TOO much skill on this Caps roster for one guy to be getting the bulk of the shots/opportunities. 

Sharks PP is a thing of beauty...I hope the Caps revamp and change their philosophy going forward.

Our PP, at times, is stagnant because everything is pretty much going to be forced to Ovechkin. Watching the Sharks PP, there is CONSTANT movement and at times, the shooter can be unpredictable due to guys being all over the ice. I'd love to see something like that worked in with what the Caps want to do going forward.

There is TOO much skill on this Caps roster for one guy to be getting the bulk of the shots/opportunities.

I agree, but I'd be worried that they keep it the way it is for a couple of reasons.

1: It works. At least during the regular season. One of the main reasons Ovechkin can get to 50 goals every season.

2: It allows Ovechkin to be incredibly lazy, er... I mean, it allows Ovechkin to get nearly 2:00 of ice time on the PP. A more frenetic PP would certainly require shorter shifts.

Our PP, at times, is stagnant because everything is pretty much going to be forced to Ovechkin.  Watching the Sharks PP, there is CONSTANT movement and at times, the shooter can be unpredictable due to guys being all over the ice.  I'd love to see something like that worked in with what the Caps want to do going forward. 

That was a major disappointment for me, on the coaching staff, that they didn't have something "new" to show teams when the playoffs started.. Thought the same thing last year.. If Ovies aim isn't perfect, teams start shutting it down. There's no real movement to it and no chaos, so to speak..

I get that Ovechkin is the best PP player in the league, but when you play a team 7 straight times, you can't think they won't key in on him and not let him get any space. It was inexcusable for that to continue to be our only strategy against PIT.

If Tom Wilson can truly get to Ward status, then we could start crashing the net and get deflections off of Wilson.  Everyone watches Ovi then boom, Niskanen/Backstrom/Oshie shoots, and it deflects off of Wilson into the goal.  Need more of that, it's one thing we seemingly lacked.

Turning Wilson into a Ward will take some time, it's taken Ward a long time to get where he is at, but he's playing the best hockey of his career.  The question is, does Wilson have the hands and stick work of Ward?

Looks like General Manager Brian MacLellan, wants to bring in a top line winger (which I've been saying for a while). We really haven't had that since Semin. Kessler looks like the missing piece for the Pens:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/capitals/theres-one-tweak-the-caps-gm-says-needs-to-happen-this-offseason/2016/05/16/16444da0-1b8c-11e6-9c81-4be1c14fb8c8_story.html

Who's available? Kopitar? Kesler? Lucic? Stamkos' blood clotting issue scares me. We may end up needing 2-3 new forwards if Richards and MOJO are not going to be resigned.  We probably need another defender too.

Nice of GMBM to throw some players under the bus. In the meantime his solution to not having enough top-9 players was to sign Mike Richards and trade for Daniel Winnik. Great job taking responsibility GMBM.

Who's available? Kopitar? Kesler? Lucic? Stamkos'

Kopitar? :blink: In our dreams.. :lol:  But he's looking for 3rd line guys..  Couldn't afford any of those guys regardless.. Mojo isn't going anywhere, yet.. Chimera, Richards.. probably gone..

Im afraid we'll start with Johansson as the 3rd line C, not being able to afford anything else.. Unfortunately he's too soft on the puck to be a 3rd line/2 way center.. He "could" do it, but so far he doesn't show the want to, imo.. Not on a consistent basis. Trade deadline next year should be interesting..

In the meantime his solution to not having enough top-9 players was to sign Mike Richards and trade for Daniel Winnik. Great job taking responsibility GMBM.

Those moves were actually great on paper.. Richards didn't pan out, (still worth the risk of 1m for 1 year) and Winnik allowed us to shed Laich' salary. If Im faulting GMBM it's for the Weber move.. Our D needed better than Weber.. Still does..

Those moves were actually great on paper.. Richards didn't pan out, (still worth the risk of 1m for 1 year) and Winnik allowed us to shed Laich' salary. If Im faulting GMBM it's for the Weber move.. Our D needed better than Weber.. Still does..

I'm not sure how signing Richards, who no other team seemed to want, was great on paper. Personally I was always against the move and he was awful offensively.

The point remains the same. If he felt this way, he should have made the necessary move to bring in a legit top-9 player. The moves he did were halfway moves similar to GMGM

I think MoJo would do fine as a 3C. At worst he's serviceable, in that, if you bought into the Pen-esque "spread talent" strategy, you could pair someone like Oshie and MoJo and the line would still produce. MoJo's potential seems to be right between 2nd and 3rd lines, so as a 3C he fits nicely if given appropriate time to adapt to the role.

Nice of GMBM to throw some players under the bus. In the meantime his solution to not having enough top-9 players was to sign Mike Richards and trade for Daniel Winnik. Great job taking responsibility GMBM.

That's assuming a top 9 player was available/feasible to sign at the deadline. The Richards signing was pretty much a failure but I'm not quite willing to call the Winnik one a failure since it got Laich off the books. 

Yeah, I think the Richards signing hurt the team more than it helped. It was good defensively and for the PK, but it didn't create anything on offense and I think Latta is a hungrier, younger option.

I've said before, after that signing, the team went from red hot to simply warm.

GMBM doesn't see MoJo as a 3rd line center.

Oh well, he knows better than I do (at least for 1 more year  :ph34r: ).

I would love to be able to keep MoJo and get a new 3C, that would be a solid duo, and Beagle would improve the 4th line as well.  But between Orlov, a new 3C, and MoJo, something probably has to give.  I imagine a good 3C probably costs us 3 to 3.5M.

Winnik was an upgrade over Laich in every aspect of the game.  He's an excellent 4th liner and really good on the PK. 

Richards, was a good gamble.  He may be back. 

Winnik didn't score at all and Laich was fine on the PK. I don't really have a problem with this trade though. My general point was that if the GM didn't think the top-9 was good enough, his moves didn't really reflect that at the trade deadline.

There is zero reason to bring Richards back.

Kopitar? :blink: In our dreams.. :lol:  But he's looking for 3rd line guys..  Couldn't afford any of those guys regardless.. Mojo isn't going anywhere, yet.. Chimera, Richards.. probably gone..

Im afraid we'll start with Johansson as the 3rd line C, not being able to afford anything else.. Unfortunately he's too soft on the puck to be a 3rd line/2 way center.. He "could" do it, but so far he doesn't show the want to, imo.. Not on a consistent basis. Trade deadline next year should be interesting..

Kessler wasn't cheap for the Pens either.

8-92-77

90-19-43

65-21*-14

26-83-46

44-74

27-2

9/4/88/Bowey

*Chandler Stephenson

From the Caps and Bears current player pool, that would be our "best" top 9 lineup that GMBM talks about. Of course, you have to make the assumption Tom Wilson can play a good RW instead of the 3rd/4th line RW he has been playing. It also assumes Stephenson is ready to make the jump.

Pittsburgh is a ****y team. Reflects both their captain and their coach. Letang needs to answer the bell. And Mike Milbury needs to start calling him out for preying on people and refusing to fight.

And the Bolts score on Letangs **** penalty. Karma.

Archived