Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015-16 Washington Capitals Thread: The More Skillful, Less Gritty Edition

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

I'll be pulling for SJ. They're a good, hard working team that has been on the cusp for as long as the Caps. Plus, their fans aren't douches.

Could you imagine anything worse for the sport though than a SJ/TB final.

Another random thought about the sport. The Caps squandered another presidents trophy season. The Golden State Warriors are about to blow a record breaking season for wins. You think the Caps are a let down, but Golden State is about to **** the bed as hard as anyone since the before the Patriots lost in their perfect season.

You can't blame Ted for hiring a non-SC winning coach and then say you have no problem with Trotz. You clearly do have a problem with Trotz - he hasn't won a cup.

You are stuck in this season and not in the big picture. Do I have problem with Trotz as a coach? No. He is fine. We won't win a cup with him but he will get is to the playoffs. Same with our GM. Teddy plays to make the playoffs he doesn't play to win a title. But he did write a paper about how to be a fabulous owner lol. It's a shame to get one of the greatest players of all time and waste it. But I will keep watching.

I'll be pulling for SJ. They're a good, hard working team that has been on the cusp for as long as the Caps. Plus, their fans aren't douches.

Could you imagine anything worse for the sport though than a SJ/TB final.

Another random thought about the sport. The Caps squandered another presidents trophy season. The Golden State Warriors are about to blow a record breaking season for wins. You think the Caps are a let down, but Golden State is about to **** the bed as hard as anyone since the before the Patriots lost in their perfect season.

Yeah I'm rooting for San Jose as well. They're basically Caps West. If they win, maybe that's a sign our turn is coming soon?

Bay Area fans are so spoiled though. GS Warriors win the title last year, win 73 games this year, and even though they look to be out now the Sharks make it to the Cup Finals. That isn't even counting the Giants winning 3 WS Titles since 2010.

Joe Thornton absolutely deserves this.

Ovechkin is only 30...he's had his fair share of playoff ups and downs much like Jumbo Joe and the Sharks. 

San Jose is rolling, and all it takes is one year for everything to come together. 

Ovechkin has a lot of good hockey left and there is a good enough core on this roster to be a serious SC Finals threat for the next couple of seasons.  I do believe in the theory of being "due," so I'd like to think that we'll get over this hump at some point VERY soon. 

You are stuck in this season and not in the big picture. Do I have problem with Trotz as a coach? No. He is fine. We won't win a cup with him but he will get is to the playoffs. Same with our GM. Teddy plays to make the playoffs he doesn't play to win a title. But he did write a paper about how to be a fabulous owner lol. It's a shame to get one of the greatest players of all time and waste it. But I will keep watching.

You know we will never win a cup with Trotz? And how, exactly, do you know this? You don't, you are just talking out your ass as a bitter, disappointed fan. It gets old. We all get it, you think the Caps are choking dogs and no matter what Ted does (unless he consults the great and mighty Chip and follows your plan to a T) all he cares about is attendance and making the playoffs. Seriously, why are you here?

The Sharks making it is great / hurts. It sucks because now we're the losers of the NHL but it gives hope that one day we can break through like in 98.

Blues (1967-68), Sabres (1970-71), Canucks (1970-71). Blues played in 3 SCF, but only because the league mandated that an expansion team appear in the Finals (think about that). They have never earned a trip to the SCF.

Panthers, Coyotes/Jets, Predators, Wild, Jets,  Blue Jackets, Senators*. 

*this iteration of the Senators has never raised a cup.

Blues (1967-68), Sabres (1970-71), Canucks (1970-71). Blues played in 3 SCF, but only because the league mandated that an expansion team appear in the Finals (think about that). They have never earned a trip to the SCF.

Panthers, Coyotes/Jets, Predators, Wild, Jets,  Blue Jackets, Senators*. 

*this iteration of the Senators has never raised a cup.

By losers I mean the team that people expect to get there and then comes up short. Nobody expects anything out of Ottawa or any of the teams you listed. 

Joe Thornton absolutely deserves this

Marleau maybe even more. He's been a San Jose Shark for 18 years, his entire career.

As the local team, I get to watch them a lot. They definitely are the deepest Sharks team that I can remember. Something that our Caps are going to have to learn to build.

You can have stars like Ovi, Pavelski, Backstrom, Couture, Kuzy, Marleau, etc. But if you can't roll 4 solid lines out in the playoffs, you can lose to anyone.

Joe Thornton absolutely deserves this.

Ovechkin is only 30...he's had his fair share of playoff ups and downs much like Jumbo Joe and the Sharks. 

San Jose is rolling, and all it takes is one year for everything to come together. 

Ovechkin has a lot of good hockey left and there is a good enough core on this roster to be a serious SC Finals threat for the next couple of seasons.  I do believe in the theory of being "due," so I'd like to think that we'll get over this hump at some point VERY soon. 

Maybe Ovie can be our John Elway, who didn't win until winning back to back his final two years. But even then, he made a ton of conference title games/Super Bowls. Ovie still can't get past the 2nd round. Its quite ridiculous.

I'm happy for the Sharks though. I've always kinda liked them(I don't believe in having a 2nd team but if I had to pick one it'd be the Sharks. Cool name, cool arena, class players like Marleau and Thornton). I hope they demolish whoever wins the East(likely the Pens).

You know we will never win a cup with Trotz? And how, exactly, do you know this? You don't, you are just talking out your ass as a bitter, disappointed fan. It gets old. We all get it, you think the Caps are choking dogs and no matter what Ted does (unless he consults the great and mighty Chip and follows your plan to a T) all he cares about is attendance and making the playoffs. Seriously, why are you here?

I have never called them choking dogs. That's something you make up in your rants.

I have never called them choking dogs. That's something you make up in your rants.

I said "think they are choking dogs" for a reason, and not "called them choking dogs". That is the name Tony Kornheiser gave the team back in the 90's. 

I said "think they are choking dogs" for a reason, and not "called them choking dogs". That is the name Tony Kornheiser gave the team back in the 90's. 

I don't "think they are choking dogs".  If you ever bothered to read my posts my point is essentially Abe now Ted do the same thing over and over every year and get the same results.  While Ted finally replaced GMGM, he essentially kept the same infrastructure....basically not making a change.

Wonder if GM is glad we got rid of Brower and Ward.  We needed some grit in that Pens series.

Off to round 2 next year. 

The only thing I know is that the regular season means nothing. Absolutely nothing. I dont care if we go 82-0 and score 5 goals a game. It is void of meaning.

You'll get zero argument outta me on that. That **** may as well be exhibition games. As long as you make the playoffs and can outshoot your opponent more often than not, who cares how many games you win?

The only thing I know is that the regular season means nothing. Absolutely nothing. I dont care if we go 82-0 and score 5 goals a game. It is void of meaning.

Ourside of the NBA, fringe playoff teams win leagues too. Wild card teams win the NFL and MLB. Should we discount those regular seasons too?

Besides, didn't the Pens finish 2nd in the East in pts?

I will say this. Unlike most leagues, the NHL seems to have a totally different standard when it comes to penalties (and calling them) come playoff time. That frustrates me more than a top seed or two losing.

Well, well, well. Pens make it again. You know, I've said I just don't care who wins, but I said I'd rather the Blues or Sharks win. But I have a good mind (not saying I will) to root for Sidney Crybaby to get a 2nd Stanley Cup. Here's why:

1) Maybe it will get Ovechkin more pissed about this years loss and he'll come back with an absolute monster year in addition to putting his foot up the asses of the rest of the team in the playoffs. I don't blame Ovie for this loss. He showed up along with Holtby. The rest of the team was MIA.

2) Maybe it will fire up some of our fans that have pretty much "excused" another playoff failure.

Fifth SC final for the Pens and 3rd since Sid arrived. If that doesn't piss you off, I'm not sure what will. Pens fans are laughing at us again.

For the record, I'm not openly rooting for the Pens or really wanting them to win. Just frustrated at watching them in the finals again. Go Sharks.

Archived