Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015-16 Washington Capitals Thread: The More Skillful, Less Gritty Edition

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

It's time.  It's time to go ALL IN for a cup next year.  **** this **** of watching other teams win it all.  Let's go get someone to help, no matter the cost.  Players, money, picks...I'm willing to give it all away.  I'm willing to sell my hockey soul to the devil (not New Jersey) for a ****ing cup.

We've had Ovechkin for 10 years.  I'm not interested in our minor league system anymore.  I'm not interested in "developing" any more players for a long haul or years of future competitiveness.  We've been doing that for 10 ****ing years and we still can't get out of the 2nd round.

Let's put the cards on the table.  Do what it takes. Get a Byufelin or whoever we need to get, but do it. **** our minor leagues. **** two or three years from now.  We need to win now. 

IT'S TIME!!  IT....IS....TIME. 

Um, Byfuglien's not available, so that won't work.

I'm as bummed as anyone else here that the Caps fell short again, and maybe I'm giving GMBM too much credit, but honestly I don't get how fans are saying we weren't "all in" the past 2 seasons.

Putting fantasy hockey BS aside, and considering salary cap constraints, who out there is really available, and what it would cost to get them, please tell me who exactly should the Caps be going after right now???

Um, Byfuglien's not available, so that won't work.

I'm as bummed as anyone else here that the Caps fell short again, and maybe I'm giving GMBM too much credit, but honestly I don't get how fans are saying we weren't "all in" the past 2 seasons.

Putting fantasy hockey BS aside, and considering salary cap constraints, who out there is really available, and what it would cost to get them, please tell me who exactly should the Caps be going after right now???

Byfuglien was just a name that came to mind. I will be the first to tell you that I don't follow salary caps or free agency in hockey. The only guy I know available is Stamkos, but I think Toronto has been clearing a ton of players to bring their native son home.

I am in no way blaming GMBM. He did the best he could and quite frankly with the way the team played in the regular season, it was looking like this year would actually be different.

I don't believe we have been "all in" the last 2 years. The moves for Niskanen, Orpik, Oshie, Williams and Richards are modest at best. None of these guys screamed "difference maker." All of them (with the exception of Richards) are solid pickups, but weren't great pickups.

Again, I don't keep up with free agents or who is or isn't available. But we need a "difference maker" to balance out the lines. I don't care if it's a free agent or a trade. Something has to change. I wish I knew, but Pittsburgh managed to get a guy who scores 30-40 (Kessel) goals a year, even with all of their salary cap problems.

Milan Lucic? Big power forward. Just a guess.

They're not going to make any drastic  changes as I've said time and time again because they believe they have a 2 year window and the GM has said this before. The only change they can make is towards Mojo that's it 

And if some expansion team claims Orpik but as reddit says it's highly unlikely someone will do that due to his hefty contract so they're stuck with him 

Expect no big changes or deadline deals because there's no reason for them. Pittsburgh happened into fortuitous circumstance because they didn't have a champion from the start. They had to build one throughout the season acquiring players like Hagelin and Daley and bringing Murray up from the AHL. They didn't have a set roster for most of their year and had to adapt on the fly. 

Create an identity, preferably one around offense, and stick with it for 5 years. If you want to be a tough team, get Lucic, put Bura in the weight room, trade Vrana for somebody who isn't 188 pounds, and don't draft Debrincat.

If it's speed, do not get Lucic, still tell Bura to get in the weight room but not as often, trade Wilson in a year or two if his game doesn't drastically improve, draft Debrincat, etc.

But we need an identity, and to commit to it and stick with it.

It's from a couple days ago, and obviously the expansion doesn't happen until next year, but the first name on the Defender list makes me hopeful.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/16375666/nhl-our-projected-las-vegas-expansion-team-roster

Orpik going would help us a ton, it'd free up a lot of money we desperately need to free up to get ourselves prepared for the coming contracts we need to pay.

So ultimately, best case scenario is that Orpik recovers and plays like his old self, giving us a legit top 4 set of defenders for a run at the cup this year, and then he gets picked up by the expansion draft, freeing us of his 5.5M which we can allocate elsewhere.

Also, draft starts tonight.  Get hyped.

Archived