Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's talk about investing! Stock market, ETF, etc.

Springfield

If it weren't for a few oil stocks I have my portfolio would be in the negative right now.  Thinking about selling everything and getting out for a few months until the markets calm down.  I also have been investing in a few water funds, FIW and CGW specifically.  They have done really well for me up until the last few months.  We all know how precious of a commodity water is.  If it is good enough for Michael Burry it is good enough for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to beat a dead horse, but good lord the stock market is in shambles right now 📉  We may be headed towards a major recession, if we are not there already.  

Traditionally this would be a good time to buy, but I am not sure.  If anyone has any brilliant investment ideas feel free to shout em out.

36 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but good lord the stock market is in shambles right now 📉  We may be headed towards a major recession, if we are not there already.  

Traditionally this would be a good time to buy, but I am not sure.  If anyone has any brilliant investment ideas feel free to shout em out.

ibonds are looking pretty good.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

So this probably sounds selfish but if I have a steady, known source of income coming in that won't be affected by a recession, is it actually good for me?  

Isn’t that always good for you?

A recession doesn’t necessarily mean disinflation, if that is what you were pontificating about.

4 hours ago, abdcskins said:

.  If anyone has any brilliant investment ideas feel free to shout em out.

LONG TSLA 😎 *

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1

In today’s environment, the notion that the stock market isn’t the economy doesn’t hold up anymore

The stock market may not literally be the economy, but the distinction between the two is getting increasingly harder to draw.

With household ownership of stocks scaling new heights and the destiny of companies — particularly in the innovative tech sector — tied to their share prices, the fates of Wall Street and Main Street have never been so intertwined.

So as the stock market goes through this volatile period, it’s not sending a particularly good sign for the broader growth outlook.

“In the last 20 years, we’ve had a financial economy that has grown significantly,” said Joseph LaVorgna, chief economist for the Americas at Natixis. “You could have argued a few decades ago that the stock market was not the economy, and that was very accurate. That is no longer the case today.”

No one would argue that the stock market is all of the economy, but it’s also hard to dispute the notion that it’s become a larger part of everyday life.

Through the end of 2021, the share of household wealth that comes from directly or indirectly held stocks hit a record 41.9%, more than double where it was 30 years ago, according to data from the Federal Reserve. A host of factors, from the advent of online trading to stock-friendly monetary policy to a lackluster global economy, has made U.S. equities an attractive place to park money and earn nice returns.

It’s also made the economy much more susceptible to shocks on Wall Street.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

As the markets have been getting beat up in 2022, it’s important to look at context and notice that the s&p 500 is still up 18% since the election and the Dow is up 15%.

I haven’t changed a thing to my investment plan and don’t plan to as I’m still in my accumulation phase.  It does help, psychologically, that real estate has increased more than the stock market has decreased.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, RansomthePasserby said:

The hunt is on! It’s time to start picking up some good companies at a discount :D

Optimistic. I think maybe august/September bottom assuming no major geopolitical shocks, if you know what I mean. 

I think stocks will continue to be pressured until the fed signals it thinks it has inflation under control.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

38 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think stocks will continue to be pressured until the fed signals it thinks it has inflation under control.

And even then, how credibly will that claim be taken after all the time they spent telling us not to worry about inflation in the first place because it was only transitory?

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

56 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Optimistic. I think maybe august/September bottom assuming no major geopolitical shocks, if you know what I mean. 

This is definitely not the bottom, so don’t go all in, but there are a few good high flying companies that have fallen into a reasonable range that I have started to dollar cost average into.

12 hours ago, RansomthePasserby said:

The hunt is on! It’s time to start picking up some good companies at a discount :D

Yeah I’m watching when to dump this XOM and move into something currently getting hammered….

7 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The thing is - trying to time bottom/peak winds up being hard/impossible/foolish

Assuming you’re correct - I’d rather make moves over the next 3 months that I’m happy with, while the market is getting hammered, accepting it’s not necessarily to bottom, than try to time that bottom for everything. 

If the worst thing about your strategy is you sell just before the peak and buy just before the bottom, you’re doing pretty good…