Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shooting At A Charleston SC Church (and now the Confederate Flag Tangent--MET)

samy316

The very concept of "hate crime" pisses me off; it's legislating thought. Try him for the actions committed, not the thoughts that lead to the actions.

1). No, it's not. But feel free to keep repeating that untrue sound bite.

2). Last I checked, the difference between Murder 1, Murder 2, and negligent homicide is the thoughts and motives of the killer. Is that "legislating thought"? And should the law treat all of them the same?

I feel kinda like I did with the Oklahoma City bombing. Part of me would rather see the guy tried in the county courthouse, for plain old murder.

Leave his motive and his manifesto and all that crap outside the courthouse. Try him for killing people, and if he wants to talk about why, then let him rant. (And don't give it any attention).

Personaly think it is a waste of  money. What isn't going to be done/paid for now that the DOJ is going to spend 100ks to bring this case when the State is going to try him on capital murder charges.  I'd  only execute the Federal charges if the State Charges were dropped.

• 2 weeks later...

Kid Rock is a big history buff. "Early Mornin Stoned Pimp" is really an modern parable revisiting the consequences of the Gadsden Purchase and the Pierce administration, as a whole.

:D.. post of the summer!

~Bang

• 7 months later...

Mississippi Senate passes bill allowing armed security teams in churches

JACKSON, Miss. — Asked to choose between a Christian spirit of peace and a God-given right of self-defense, Mississippi senators are overwhelming favoring the latter.

The Senate voted 36-14 Tuesday to pass House Bill 786, known as the Mississippi Church Protection Act. The bill returns to the House.

It says places of worship could designate members to undergo firearms training and carry guns to protect the congregation.

The bill also allows people to carry guns in holsters without a concealed weapons permit, expanding on last year’s law allowing people to carry guns in purses without a permit.

Finally, the measure asserts no state official can enforce any federal executive order or administrative rule that violates the U.S. or Mississippi constitutions. It’s a challenge to the principle that federal law overrides state law.

Click on the link for the full article

Finally, the measure asserts no state official can enforce any federal executive order or administrative rule that violates the U.S. or Mississippi constitutions. It’s a challenge to the principle that federal law overrides state law.

Click on the link for the full article

Besides the fact that I disagree terribly with the idea of firearms in churches, that last part is potentially significant isn't it? Those sound like somebody with ideas of secession.

Besides the fact that I disagree terribly with the idea of firearms in churches, that last part is potentially significant isn't it? Those sound like somebody with ideas of secession.

I wouldn't automatically go that far. (Even though I suspect that you're right).

I'd need some context.

I will note that my personal belief is that the federal government does not have the power to compel states to ENFORCE federal law. (see: Colorado, marijuana laws).

Now, if they want to VIOLATE federal laws, that's another matter.

I agree with you that guns have no place in a house of G-d, but that brings me to a difficult place as I don't think G-d's house is limited to brick and mortar. You can find G-d everywhere and his holiness imbued in everything. Therefore, if guns are not allowed in G-d's house then guns are not allowed... spiritually speaking.

People need to put the swords away and start fishing... not only in the Church, but all of Rome.

More a matter of Federalism and division of powers delegated

• 2 months later...

Southern Baptists passed a resolution that calls on Christians to stop displaying the Confederate Battle Flag. This is a great day.

http://bpnews.net/47041/sbc-repudiates-display-of-confederate-flag

SBC repudiates display of Confederate flag

ST. LOUIS (BP) -- Messengers to the 2016 Southern Baptist Convention

renounced display of the Confederate battle flag in a historic, overwhelming vote Tuesday (June 14).

The convention adopted late in its afternoon session a resolution that urged "brothers and sisters in Christ to discontinue the display of the Confederate battle flag as a sign of solidarity of the whole body of Christ, including our African American brothers and sisters."

Rest at link.

Strikes me as a subject that's more political than religious.  But still, they're on the right side. 

I could see that. However, for many of us in the church, we see it as something that divides us, not unites, and it is also something that creates a barrier to evangelism.

• 1 month later...

Well, I will confess that based on my personal opinion, based on the people I've seen displaying it in various places? 

I'd say it sure looks like there's a linkage. 

Archived