Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.Com: Dallas Cowboys agree to terms with La'el Collins

Roger.Staubach

I fully expect Dallas to have AP next season so they will be good. They just couldn't work it out this year. 

I agree, until proven otherwise, all the guy did was help the police by speaking to them. He's clean otherwise and I wish people would stop acting like he's Aaron Hernandez

Good point. He voluntarily took a paternity test and passed a polygraph. Apparently, he didn't even lawyer up, because a lawyer would not have let him take a polygraph. Signs of a man who knows he is innocent.

Good move from Jerruh, he's got a first rounder for the price of an UDFA carrying a lot of potential.

I wonder why I never heard us being in the mix to sign him since Scot said he was pushing for him ?

At least we can rely on Darren McFadden to run straight into him...missed more lanes than Trent Richardson last season

Perish the thought but I think McFadden was more a victim of circumstance in Oakland and I sadly expect him to be pretty explosive behind that line. 

Hail. 

This is bull ****. He should have gone in to the supplemental draft so that every team got a shot at him.

This opens the door for players to star picking their teams. Pre-arrange something with a team, then put out some story to keep your self from getting drafted.

This is bull ****. He should have gone in to the supplemental draft so that every team got a shot at him.

This opens the door for players to star picking their teams. Pre-arrange something with a team, then put out some story to keep your self from getting drafted.

Every team did have a shot at him... In the draft.. And in this udfa period

Every team did have a shot at him... In the draft.. And in this udfa period

The draft, yes, although he put out a story that he wouldn't sign with anyone so who knows? And he should not have been an udfa. What is the point of the draft then if players can talk their way in to no strings attached free agency?

I seriously doubt that any star player would give up millions or tens of millions of dollars to pick the team they want to play for. 

There's a limit on what you can give an undrafted free agent in bonus money. No player is going to be dumb enough to eschew going in the first round for $25K in bonus money.

There's a limit on what you can give an undrafted free agent in bonus money. No player is going to be dumb enough to eschew going in the first round for $25K in bonus money.

Exactly. If Collins had been drafted in the top 10 as most projected, he would have received a 4 year deal for over $12 million. Now he gets a 3 year deal for $1.6 million. 

So his camp claimed but nobody was offering. 

Just saying you can't be pissed and say they lucked in when we could of taken him. 

Hail. 

Absolutely. All 32 teams were dumb to not at least throw a late round shot at him. The Cowboys got lucky, but we had every chance to not let luck be a part of it.

La'el's press conference was one of the most, if not the most impressive player press conferences I have ever seen. It even brought Jerry to tears. For those that think he is a character risk, watch this and it will change your mind: http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2015/05/02/live-press-conference?adbid=596432621392900096&adbpl=tw&adbpr=8824902&campaign=social_20150507_45400196&short_code=2y7h0

Is it wrong to now hope that he is in fact behind the killing?

I so hope you are joking.  He looked like a fine young man in that interview.  As bad as Aaron Hernandez turned out to be, knowing that he, at 25-years old, is in prison for the rest of his life is very very very sad.  These young athletes have the world in the palms of their hands and they simply throw their lives away. :(

Let's hope the best for our young people no matter the team they play for.  Life is so much bigger and longer than a professional career in sports.

Good thing we didn't need a 1st round talent that could start at guard. I'd be annoyed about Dallas just signing this guy off the street if we did.

Man i was screaming for McCloughan to take him. I doubt he even inquired about him, and that part is even more frustrating

Is it wrong to now hope that he is in fact behind the killing?

Maybe he put out the hit from a crappy telephone booth. 

Why doesn't it make sense for us? We are building a foundation for the future and Collins is a young, talented player that could be a nice part of that future. "May have character issues" doesn't make it wrong for us to sign him, since at this time, he doesn't have character issues. 

If he doesn't work out for us, well we are right back in the same spot either way, so why not take the shot?

Your argument is "since there's no proof he's done something wrong, and is young and talented, taking a flier on him has minimal risk" correct?

I don't think that's wrong. I would have liked to have Collins as well. I think he's got great potential, and having him and Schreff on the same side would make for a mean line with Trent on the left. However, I think I can understand the thought process of not taking a flier on him.

In situations like these, you have to weigh the severity of the (accused) crime when taking a shot on a guy. A drug related offense? You see something like Shane Ray and Randy Gregory. Obviously, these were clear-cut, they definitely did it situations, which is different than the situation Collins found himself in. But hypothetically, what if there were rumors of a possible failed pot test that wasn't confirmed? Some teams would still stay away from these players.

When Collins is questioned on a double homicide, the crime is so severe that even if he didn't do it, it makes him untouchable to many teams. Especially a team that wants to minimize distractions. I think that's SM's concern.

Hypothetically, let's say the Redskins did sign him, and that he turned into a suspect. Suddenly, a young team without a lot of leadership is being peppered with non-football questions by reporters, the players are distracted by Collins, etc. Even if you cut him, the fact that he was in your locker room is something that will be tied to your team and the players. Look at the Jonathon Martin bullying saga; or the Aaron Hernandez murder trial. The media eats it up and you're mentioned for all the wrong reasons as a football team.

In my opinion, SM is all about building a culture right now. He wants the players he brings in to be focused and create a culture that's focus is on football and high character. And any character flaws that *might* exist can be just as bad as if there is a known character flaw, especially with something such as this.

We had 9 chances to draft this guy after Scherff.

Being pissed at the Cowboys is being pissed at the wrong organisation.

Hail.  

Here's the issue though. Sure, we could have thrown a 6th or 7th rounder at him, just like everyone else in the draft. BUT, if we had he then would have been eligible to pass on playing this season to wait it out until next year and re-enter the draft. It's happened before (Bo Jackson did it when he was drafted #1 overall, held out and got drafted in the 7th the next year). 

The guy very likely would have been picked by the end of the second round next season, so he would have made quite a bit by holding out. So, I actually believe he would and COULD have waited for next season's draft since he'd be eligible. Now that he's not, he picked his favorite team. 

Oh well, rather not have too many Cowboy fanboys on our team.

Good point. He voluntarily took a paternity test and passed a polygraph. Apparently, he didn't even lawyer up, because a lawyer would not have let him take a polygraph. Signs of a man who knows he is innocent.

Except that he DID "lawyer up". His lawyer was the dumbass that made statements like "it's not a good time right now" when asked about whether his client would cooperate and be interviewed by the police. At this point, the guy's not guilty and I hope he ends up having nothing to do with this disgusting crime. 

Hopefully, he's just an ***hole piece of donkey ****, and a pig ****** like the rest of the Cowboys.

Absolutely. All 32 teams were dumb to not at least throw a late round shot at him. The Cowboys got lucky, but we had every chance to not let luck be a part of it.

Sure, but then when we were the only team to draft him in the 7th and he held out a year people would be pissed we waisted a pick on him. 

Every team in the NFL passed on him, and as you said, "The Cowboys got lucky." 

No big deal IMO.

Like I said, the guy is innocent, and I hope he had nothing to do with the murder, BUT the investigation isn't over either. 

So, why not wait a few months before assuming either way that this was a good or a bad move.

I mean, the Cowboys have the potential to be out of 4 star players before the season ever begins (oops, I mean 3 since Greg Hardy is already out for over half the season).

La'el's press conference was one of the most, if not the most impressive player press conferences I have ever seen. It even brought Jerry to tears. For those that think he is a character risk, watch this and it will change your mind: http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2015/05/02/live-press-conference?adbid=596432621392900096&adbpl=tw&adbpr=8824902&campaign=social_20150507_45400196&short_code=2y7h0

What a fantastic young man. 

Seriously, what a FANTASTIC young man. 

Hail. 

Who cares that Dallas signed him...he will not be the missing piece to the SB.Dallas has way too many first rounders on that line and it will come back to bite them as they were drafted so close together that they would never be able to afford their next contracts...That team will suffer in the next couple of years..lol

Archived